Hamilton 1223 Main Street West | ?m | 8s | Scholar Properties | CGS Architects

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
1223 Main Street West: a design concept for a 8-storey mixed-use residential and commercial building designed by Curran Gacesa Slote Architects for Scholar Properties on the south side of Main Street West, west of Dalewood Avenue and east of Stroud Road in Hamilton's Ainslie Wood neighbourhood.

Renderings from CGS:
CAM1-Aerial_Final.jpg
CAM2-Street_FINAL.jpg
CAM4-Rooftop_FINAL.jpg

Will be unfortunate to lose the handsome little hydro building on the site:

1689380795224.png

1223 Main Street West: a design concept for a 8-storey mixed-use residential and commercial building designed by Curran Gacesa Slote Architects for Scholar Properties on the south side of Main Street West, west of Dalewood Avenue and east of Stroud Road in Hamilton's Ainslie Wood neighbourhood.

Renderings from CGS:
View attachment 492327View attachment 492328View attachment 492329
Any chance this was submitted to the City of Hamilton on April 1, and submission fee paid for with Monopoly money?

Sure is an interesting design. To echo Chris, this has a low chance of actually going through in its current format. Which is probably good, because this should be more than 8 storeys in my opinion, maybe 12-15 minimum. Although this property does fall within the TOC-1 zone where max height is 22m (7ish storeys).

Sure is an interesting design. To echo Chris, this has a low chance of actually going through in its current format. Which is probably good, because this should be more than 8 storeys in my opinion, maybe 12-15 minimum. Although this property does fall within the TOC-1 zone where max height is 22m (7ish storeys).
13+ storeys would set precedent for this direct area. It'll be interesting to see if other assemblies start to form in nearby lands. IN8 proposal down the street furthers this trend.

13+ storeys would set precedent for this direct area. It'll be interesting to see if other assemblies start to form in nearby lands. IN8 proposal down the street furthers this trend.
The city will be reviewing it's midrise zoning by-law in the winter. The draft by-law appears to allow 44m developments (12 storeys) as-of-right on Main roads, of which this likely would be included. Up to 12 floors may be allowed here without major zoning change in the near future.

I'll be providing substantial commentary on these changes to ensure zoning is as simple and non-restrictive as possible. I want to ensure properties like this can see densification to provide housing and commercial amenities.

Last edited:
The city will be reviewing it's midrise zoning by-law in the winter. The draft by-law appears to allow 44m developments (12 storeys) as-of-right on Main roads, of which this likely would be included. Up to 12 floors may be allowed here without major zoning change in the near future.

I'll be providing substantial commentary on these changes to ensure zoning is as simple and non-restrictive as possible. I want to ensure properties like this can see densification to provide housing and commercial amenities.
Hope this turns true - no brainer policies

I think the intent is to take subtle cues from the McMaster Children's Hospital? I don't know... Honestly, while I can understand people being turned off by this design, I kind of like the idea of people tasked with creating a concept dialling it up to 11 thousand with the most ridiculously over-the-top deconstructist design they can muster. It is just a concept after all! Why not try something utterly unique and challenging to the consensus? I really feel for the many architects that are never allowed to have fun.

That said, I definitely agree with everyone here that it should definitely be taller. I'd even say it should go beyond mid-rise height. Not only is an LRT stop is right across the street, but McMaster is also one of the city's top employers. 🤷‍♂️

Back