Toronto 1200 Bay | 326.5m | 87s | ProWinko | Herzog & de Meuron

I think it's too early to comment on the design of the tower. The renderings don't really show a lot of detail re: how the facade will work, what the shutters will look like, etc. They read as very high level/conceptual right now. I want to see the drawings.

How this could change the Bloor/ Yorkville skyline

View attachment 249464

A little optimistic on the height. It'll appear more like this (see attachment)
1200BayV1.jpeg

It’s very thin indeed when viewed from the North, as in one of the renders in the database entry. It isn’t so thin from the east or the west, but I would like to see a render of the full tower from one of those viewpoints.

Here's an idea of how it should look like from the East.

49972116547_e245fb519d_k.jpg

49971338478_4c51e97189_k.jpg

Additional perspectives will be posted here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/infographics-toronto-skyline.27943/page-4#post-1561929

If all the towers in the above rending get built (and not cheapened to death), this will be the best looking skyline in the city.
That's the caviat though isnt it. I think this will look good if everything else around it is built at height and not chopped, if everything's chopped then it'll just look bleh

Any idea what the FSI density of this proposal is? It appears to be a tiny site so with 87 storeys it must be insanely high. I'm a height fanatic so I don't mind, I just think it's fun to imagine the City and community blowing their lids when they find out.

It way too close to the 80 Bloor west proposal for a supertall . They should do a wind tunnel test on these two proposals. That are seen in Koop's flyby and all those photos up above! Somethings got to give !!

I really hope not either, but it's not like Toronto aspires for architectural greatness anyways. At best, this city strives for mediocrity.

That reminds me, whatever happened to Brad Bradford's proposal to make developments not bland?

Mirvish & Gehry would be a huge exception.

It way too close to the 80 Bloor west proposal for a supertall . They should do a wind tunnel test on these two proposals. That are seen in Koop's flyby and all those photos up above! Somethings got to give !!
I have a gut feeling that 80 Bloor West is less likely to get built than this thing.

This all feels a little suspect to me in a very intriguing way. I feel like there's a lot more under the table here that the media is just not privy to yet.

IMO, like most of HdeM work, this proposal should be looked at as something of a farce that seeks to hold up a mirror to the politics, design culture, and bureaucracy of wherever they are building. In HdeM's statement, it was mentioned that the design is a direct representation of the context. In other possible words, Toronto is mediocre and boring, so we will give you a highly articulated, well composed and restrained, boring building. They do this a lot; make fun of the context by producing a highly polemic proposal and thus play the game with said game's pieces, not their own (see Parrish Art Museum, 1111 Lincoln Road Parking Garage, M+ Museum Hong Kong, among others). I think this is the genius of their work; they don't seek the pursuit of eye catching architecture, but rather architecture which is born out of the context already in play. Sometimes that architecture is eye-catching, sometimes not as much...

There are a few more details about programming of the proposed building here..

"The 324-metre-high building would have a 3:1 construction ratio, meaning that its length is approximately three times that of its width."
"Its structural core is intended to be on the western facade to maximize the usable area of the floorplate. This would also provide privacy from adjacent developments to the west."
"The first 16 floors of 1200 Bay Street would comprise retail and office functions, and a level with private amenities would separate these from the residences above. On the top three floors, there would be a restaurant and lounge, and a triple-height lobby for tenants will be located on Bloor Street."

I have a gut feeling that 80 Bloor West is less likely to get built than this thing.
People were already throwing a fit about the height of 80 bloor west though, why would they not do the same here, only even more so?

I doubt there's any way either of these get built without major changes, if at all. Which is disappointing.

Does anyone see both this and the Kruggarand proposal approved?

Towers seem too close too each other.

If so, is this a race to who will get approval first denying the other from proceeding?

Back