Hamilton 117 Jackson Street East | 126.47m | 39s | Dicenzo Homes | Graziani + Corazza

Thanks for posting. Interesting.

The primary basis for the recommendation of denial are: (a) the application did not demonstrate that there is sufficient infrastructure to service the building (did they not submit a Functional Servicing Report?); (b) the proposal apparently "has not demonstrated what green infrastructure and sustainable design elements are to be implemented"; and, (c) the proposed height exceeds the 30 storey height limit and will be taller than the escarpment.

There are also issues related to the Secondary Plan. Specifically, shadowing on Prince’s Square, and an absence of three-bedroom units in the proposal, which are understood to be required to achieve SP policy related to proposals "providing an adequate range of unit types and sizes, including those suitable for larger households with children".

Last edited:
When planners issue a rejection report, they throw everything they can on the wall to hope it'll stick.

Most planners won't reject a building because of servicing issues, they'll work that out through site plan, or place a hold on the site until it can be addressed. Similar with Green Infrastructure - that's not worthy of a rejection on its own.

The issue here is fundamentally that this building is taller than the escarpment and the shadows it casts on the courthouse.

(As discussed on SSP...) This is quite a big deal. We have yet to see a project challenge the height limit and submit to the OLT afterward. This is going to be a very significant precedent-setter- in fact, it is THE precedent-setter I and many others have been waiting for. A >30 tower going to the OLT determines the fate of Hamilton's height limit moreso than any action by the province, city or otherwise preceding it. I am very curious to see how quickly this gets processed, and the subsequent effect on active proposals and RE activity.

For context, many proposals have come and gone at 30+. Many towers being built today were originally proposed at heights in +/- 40 storeys, but the city asks them to chop off the extra and they've almost always complied. I don't think any proposal (in an area where the height limit is enforced...) has ever gone to the OLT, perhaps merely because how streamlined development in the core is supposed to be. And yet, here we are.

For even MORE Context, the height limit exists as a weird piece of policy, because it has a variety of purported benefits but the planning backing seems limited. In short, it is closer to a placation of some wealthy neighbourhoods in the core that seemed to have gotten out of hand and is frequently retrospectively justified. Not to say the purported benefits don't exist, but either their time has come and gone or the evidence for it Isn't there. While reducing speculation is amicable, when compared to peer cities it Isn't overtly clear there's any tangible difference between cities that do/do not control height like this- KW, London, etc. have had no issue seeing volumes of proposals, and seeing many of those actually go on to construction. I think the height limit was good temporarily for actually encouraging larger assemblies downtown to occupy more space, but the ball is rolling now- I don't think there is an issue of finding developers to scoop up enough lots anymore.

I dont think I really ever understood the need to keep buildings under the height of the escarpment. Exactly what is being blocked from a view standpoint? And any buildings along the upper edge of the brow by all measures are taller that the escarpment.In an environment where we are saying no to outward expansion and seeing the value in a compact and dense city, surely these types of proposals (specifically those within a five minute walk of commuter and mass transit system, should not be articificially limited. This is a huge site and no doubt could have density spread in many ways . I say incent them to build (more density for additional benefits to the community) and deter them from speculating (tax vacant land at its highest and best use) - I am sure that will get development moving along.

Last edited:
Good. The removal of half the retail as well as the zero 3-bed units makes this a crappy development. The height isn’t the issue here.

I don’t mind having the developers come back with something more conducive to city-building vs profit maximization.

Height of 126.47m to top of MPH.

117-Jackson-Street-East-Proposed-Rendering-Looking-West-DRP-March-2023-771x499.jpg

Looking at this shot, it blows my mind that the podium isn’t designed to connect with the commercial/retail podium of 100 Main ‘Landmark Place’.

If you’re not from Hamilton, you may not know there’s a tiny two-floor 70s-style urban mall under our landmark tower.

The podiums could connect via a second floor skywalk over the alleyway between them.

With all those new residents, a Co-Work Space in those unused offices would be attractive for at-home workers who don’t want to work at home.

Looking at this shot, it blows my mind that the podium isn’t designed to connect with the commercial/retail podium of 100 Main ‘Landmark Place’.

If you’re not from Hamilton, you may not know there’s a tiny two-floor 70s-style urban mall under our landmark tower.

The podiums could connect via a second floor skywalk over the alleyway between them.

With all those new residents, a Co-Work Space in those unused offices would be attractive for at-home workers who don’t want to work at home.
As someone that lives nearby there are sooooo many retail spaces. There's also a coworking space on King that I don't think is exactly bumping. I don't see the value in additional spaces considering the huge opportunity that exists with what's available and the quality of options offered.

As someone that lives nearby there are sooooo many retail spaces. There's also a coworking space on King that I don't think is exactly bumping. I don't see the value in additional spaces considering the huge opportunity that exists with what's available and the quality of options offered.
The main issue is that as Hamilton grows, demand for retail will grow faster than supply. Ensuring there are enough units being built will ensure Hamilton doesn't run into the same Shoppersification Toronto has.

The main issue is that as Hamilton grows, demand for retail will grow faster than supply. Ensuring there are enough units being built will ensure Hamilton doesn't run into the same Shoppersification Toronto has.
Not to mention that the lack of new retail units of all sizes contributes to the affordability crisis within the commercial real estate market.

The few units we have right now are being snagged up by restaurant groups, franchisees and some chains leaving little opportunity for the little guy to start their own small biz.

My main issue with this building is the total lack of 3-bedroom units versus the insane amount of studios.

Are we trying to build a city or cram as many students into a building as possible for maximum profitability?

Back