Toronto 1134 Queen East | 21.9m | 6s | Lamb Dev Corp | A&Architects

Probably 6 stories maximum. I’ve read here that 6-8 floors is the most allowable along this stretch of QE?

6-8 storeys here is reasonable. If there's a dude who'd try to push the envelope though, that would be Lamb. Not sure if it was him who picked up the Stratengers site but if both properties were combined then they'd have a larger floor plate to work with.

A modest proposal for this site on the north side of Queen St. E in Leslieville:

Site as is per Streetview (Sept '21)

1694515346802.png

Now the App:

From the above:

1694515417091.png

1694515453466.png

1694515505496.png

1694515538662.png

Site Plan:

1694515621725.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1694515676303.png

Stats:

1694515761048.png

Parking: Zero (that speaks for itself)

Elevators: ? (can't tell, but at only 30 units it will meet the desired ratio)

Comments: The scale is inoffensive. Unfortunate that it appears a very large tree will have to be removed. Architecturally, it's not terrible, but it's a bit of a sore thumb. A bit more contextuality in the expression would not be a bad thing.

That said, it's basically supportable. They may see a bit of push back on the street wall, easily addressed by dropping the setback down 1 floor. The height of the mechanicals seems excessive on this building, it's out of proportion.

Minor tweaks I'd like to see, ever so slightly boost the proposed ground floor height such that the mid-point between floors 2-3 aligns w/the roof next door and lose the ground floor overhang and deep inset on the entrance, it doesn't fit w/the neighbouring builds.

What's lamb doing such a small project for? seems odd.
Most likely a flip, as supported by this recent listing.
While I actually like the design, it looks a bit half-baked in terms of the layout. I know it’s only 30 units but there is no garbage room or place to store bins, and no loading area which could be problematic being on Queen St (there is no laneway or access to the rear of the property). Having only just the front access for retail will be a pain too, depending on what kind of business will occupy there.
More than half of the units are studios, maybe combining them into larger units will ease these shortcomings and improve on the interior layout, but I expect more changes in this building as the property changes hands.

New developments:

1. There’s a For Sale sign posted on the site.

2. Virtual community consultation notices have been mailed for the proposed 6-storey mixed-use building with 319 sq metres of retail on the ground floor and a total of 30 residential units.

www.toronto.ca/1134QueenStE

Back