Toronto 1113-1125 Dundas Street West | 35.5m | 10s | CreateTO | Brook McIlroy

On Monday, the city announced a pilot program that, if approved, would do away with the parking lot and bring about 200 new rental units to the site near the corner of Dundas Street West and Ossington Avenue, according to Coun. Joe Cressy.

This would mark one of the larger residential buildings made of wood or “mass timber” planned in the city.

(A yet to be built 12-storey wood building proposed for the Quayside neighbourhood on Toronto’s waterfront would see about 565 units of housing.)

About 50 to 60 per cent of the units at Dundas and Ossington, which are to be subsidized and operated by a non-profit, would be “deeply affordable” — about 60 per cent of average market rent in Toronto, Cressy (Ward 10, Spadina—Fort York) said in an interview.

The remaining units in the 10-storey building would be market rentals, he added.

“City staff came back with a proposal that does a lot more than affordable housing. It’s a pilot project to bring both a more affordable and a more sustainable model of housing and one that can be built faster,” Cressy said.

“In the old days we would look to sell city-owned land as a way to generate revenue. In this case we are building on our own land to address affordability and sustainability. This is the type of creative project we need to do more of,” Cressy added.

In the next few months an application to rezone the site will be brought forward. The site is already zoned residential, but city staff are seeking more height and density than is currently permitted on the property.

Cressy said he fully expects these details to be worked out and for city council to approve the project.

Any idea what they are referring to when they say non-profit affordable housing? Is it shelter/transition housing or something like options for homes/habitat for humanity?
"About 50 to 60 per cent of the units at Dundas and Ossington, which are to be subsidized and operated by a non-profit, would be “deeply affordable” — about 60 per cent of average market rent in Toronto, Cressy (Ward 10, Spadina—Fort York) said in an interview. The remaining units in the 10-storey building would be market rentals, he added.

In the next few months an application to rezone the site will be brought forward. The site is already zoned residential, but city staff are seeking more height & density (10-Storeys / 100-Units) than is currently permitted on the property..."

"About 50 to 60 per cent of the units at Dundas and Ossington, which are to be subsidized and operated by a non-profit, would be “deeply affordable” — about 60 per cent of average market rent in Toronto, Cressy (Ward 10, Spadina—Fort York) said in an interview. The remaining units in the 10-storey building would be market rentals, he added.

In the next few months an application to rezone the site will be brought forward. The site is already zoned residential, but city staff are seeking more height & density (10-Storeys / 100-Units) than is currently permitted on the property..."

The use of words matters......I'm quite sure they don't mean, 60% of what the average apartment available for rent is renting at; as, according to rentals.ca, that's just over 2k per month for a 1bdrm. Which would make 'deeply affordable' $1,400 per month, or almost double what Ontario Works provides for Shelter and Living expenses.

Language by all people, in all circumstances ought to be bit more precise; people use English is such clumsy ways.

The use of words matters......I'm quite sure they don't mean, 60% of what the average apartment available for rent is renting at; as, according to rentals.ca, that's just over 2k per month for a 1bdrm. Which would make 'deeply affordable' $1,400 per month, or almost double what Ontario Works provides for Shelter and Living expenses.

Language by all people, in all circumstances ought to be bit more precise; people use English is such clumsy ways.
Average Market Rent for affordable housing is defined by CHMC, and is usually substantially lower than *new rental transaction market rent*, as it is the average rent paid by all renters of the city, not the average going rate for an apartment today.

For Toronto, the 2022 average market rent for a 1-bedroom apartment is $1,446. So 60% of that means that 1-bed units will be rented at about $868/month. A bachelor unit would be $735, and 2-bed would be $1,022.

Average Market Rent for affordable housing is defined by CHMC, and is usually substantially lower than *new rental transaction market rent*, as it is the average rent paid by all renters of the city, not the average going rate for an apartment today.

For Toronto, the 2022 average market rent for a 1-bedroom apartment is $1,446. So 60% of that means that 1-bed units will be rented at about $868/month. A bachelor unit would be $735, and 2-bed would be $1,022.

That still doesn't align w/social assistance income, or for that matter ODSP income of $1,169 for a single person; the rent above would have someone paying 74% of their income in rent.

Where I think most people would equate 'deeply affordable' with RGI (rent-geared-to-income) which generally caps rent at 30% of income......there's a disconnect in terminology.

I happen to think the RGI number should actually be a bit higher (maybe 40%); that said; a huge problem here is, of course, social assitance/ODSP rates that are well below even marginal subsistence.

Equally, minimum wage that is also far too low.

That still doesn't align w/social assistance income, or for that matter ODSP income of $1,169 for a single person; the rent above would have someone paying 74% of their income in rent.

Where I think most people would equate 'deeply affordable' with RGI (rent-geared-to-income) which generally caps rent at 30% of income......there's a disconnect in terminology.

I happen to think the RGI number should actually be a bit higher (maybe 40%); that said; a huge problem here is, of course, social assitance/ODSP rates that are well below even marginal subsistence.

I wasn't trying to claim that, and the issue here is more so that ODSP is so comically low it's almost criminal. The level of subsidy required to bring rents down to something someone on ODSP could afford would be so high as to be essentially prohibitive. The better way from a government policy perspective would be to increase ODSP a bit instead as it's insanely low.. but that's another conversation for another day.

Someone working for minimum wage today would make about $32,000 a year working full time, and would be able to comfortably afford one of the deeply affordable 1-bed units on a single income. A single mother working for minimum wage could likely afford a 2 or 3 bedroom unit at these deeply affordable levels as well, once CCB is accounted for.

My wider point was more so that these deeply affordable units will rent for well less than $1,400/month for a 1-bed.

I wasn't trying to claim that, and the issue here is more so that ODSP is so comically low it's almost criminal. The level of subsidy required to bring rents down to something someone on ODSP could afford would be so high as to be essentially prohibitive. The better way from a government policy perspective would be to increase ODSP a bit instead as it's insanely low.. but that's another conversation for another day.

I agree wholeheartedly
Someone working for minimum wage today would make about $32,000 a year working full time, and would be able to comfortably afford one of the deeply affordable 1-bed units on a single income. A single mother working for minimum wage could likely afford a 2 or 3 bedroom unit at these deeply affordable levels as well, once CCB is accounted for.

I might quibble a bit here....

Most hourly workers are not paid 40 hours per week but 37.5 (30m paid meal break is all that's required on an 8-hour shift)

That's $29,200

Generally, before filing one's tax return, you expect to lose about 25% of your pay check to CPP/EI and Income tax at that income level. You do recover quite a bit when filing taxes, but that's not available month to month
for expenses; and most low-income people can just set aside any 'windfall' at tax time and space it out over 12 months. Windfalls tend to pay for winter jackets or a bicycle for the kids or furniture.

See here:

1650980286579.png

from: https://ca.talent.com/tax-calculator?salary=29200&from=year&region=Ontario

That leaves $1,808 in after-tax income

Before factoring in the Canada Child Benefit; that really is tight.

And consider, the majority of low-income earners do not have children in the qualifying age group for get the CCB

So my first consideration would be the low-income earner w/o CCB.

Can it be made to work, sure......if by work you mean cover rent, food a cell phone and a hair cut every 3 months.

Add transit, it's a bit tight.

Add clothing..........I'm not sure that can work.

Add housewares (cutlery, linens, plates etc)

Furniture

(currently), dental likely out of pocket............

I'm not expecting someone at the lowest margin of society to have a so-called middle-class lifestyle, but they still need a bed of some description, a plate, knife/fork, glass for eating, and a table to eat at; and if one can't afford to go out much if at all, then surely a TV is not an unreasonable thing either.

My wider point was more so that these deeply affordable units will rent for well less than $1,400/month for a 1-bed.

I wasn't disagreeing at all.

It's not that low, not sure what calculator you are using for taxes but someone earning minimum wage pays very little income tax and that's decreasing right now with the federal basic income increases, and you have the provincial Low-Income Workers Tax Credit as well which cuts income taxes paid even more. Net take home, even at 37.5hrs a week, is closer to $25k.

Not saying it's not hard at that income again, but it helps to be accurate. An $880/month rent for a 1-bedroom apartment for a single person working for minimum wage would generally be considered affordable.

Obviously it would be better if it was $200 a month, woohoo, they get an extra $600 a month.. but you have to draw a line at some point in these situations recognizing how much money there is to go around to help people and that the extra $600 a month may be better off helping someone else.. It's a balancing game.

CCB Applies for children right up until the age of 18 as well, though it reduces slightly for children over the age of 6.

Here's the City of Toronto's 2022 AVERAGE MARKET RENT (AMR) values with the "60% of AMR" band highlighted.

1650986033983.png
Data comes from CMHC - and is updated "City-wide" once per year - https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...-average-market-rents-and-utility-allowances/

Let's be 100% clear --- nobody with any ability to form Government at the Provincial or Federal level is seriously talking about spending the many BILLIONS in net new spending that it would take to create and maintain tens of thousands of net new "RGI (rent-geared-to-income) / 30% of income" units annually in Canada.

Let's be 100% clear --- nobody with any ability to form Government at the Provincial or Federal level is seriously talking about spending the many BILLIONS in net new spending that it would take to create and maintain tens of thousands of net new "RGI (rent-geared-to-income) / 30% of income" units annually in Canada.

I'm fully aware of that.

My take was on the description.

My secondary point, being that incomes must be raised at the low-end, both through minimum wage and social assistance/ODSP such as to close the deep affordability gap in conjunction with new 'affordable' housing.

The City of Toronto is incorporating mass timber into an affordable housing pilot project, a first-of-its-kind development for the city that will take a climate action approach. If approved, the pilot project would create one of the largest wood buildings in Toronto—a 10-storey building with 200 rentals.

Designed by R-Hauz, the building will use the Toronto Green Standard Version 4, which outlines that 25 per cent of the raw materials meet at least two of the listed criteria – one of which is the wood products must be certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) or CaGBC-approved equivalent.

“Right now, as the construction industry looks for sustainable ways to meet increased housing demands around the world, mass timber is taking centre stage.” says Francois Dufresne, president of FSC Canada. “However, not all mass timber is created equal. It is critical to assess not only the distance the timber needs to travel but also the source of the wood.”

The pilot program will focus primarily on mid-rise development but can also include analyzing both missing middle housing types such as laneway houses, duplexes, triplexes, four-plexes, townhouses, and low-rise apartment buildings, and tall building development through a mass timber form.

Back