Toronto 100 Yorkville at Bellair | 61.57m | 16s | Invar Building | Hariri Pontarini

No it wouldn't need to be bolted to the ground. Notice how it extends six floors into the building? That's where it is fixed to the building and that is enough to keep it up.

24 December 2008 photo update

Looking like tacky poo from Yuckville Ave, but the 80&100 Yorkville retail portion looks good.

DSC00047-3.jpg

DSC00058-2.jpg

DSC00036-3.jpg

DSC00045-3.jpg

DSC00036-3.jpg

nice pic and nice massing on Yorkville Ave....

UD, how 'bout that crystal disco ball in the lobby of the Regency! sheesh...:rolleyes:

Looking like tacky poo from Yuckville Ave, but the 80&100 Yorkville retail portion looks good.

Pretty much describes the whole emerging area. I guess I just don't 'get' the love for Yorkville. Aside from the pretty residential backstreets the whole place has always seemed pretty tacky and unattractive to me. I'm hoping the Bloor street revitalization project helps, and it will be nice to see an end to all the construction projects that have been tearing up the place up.

Pretty much describes the whole emerging area. I guess I just don't 'get' the love for Yorkville. Aside from the pretty residential backstreets the whole place has always seemed pretty tacky and unattractive to me.

Probably the common sentiment for anybody who didn't know the place before about 1995, or is it 1990, or even 1980 or so...

Let's set a ballpark date. Maybe from the time the original Ballenford Books on Scollard closed down.

And when it comes to the glam of Yorkville, look at it this way: you can follow its rough last-40-years-plus trajectory by following the rough last-40-years-plus trajectory of Jeanne Beker. Almost like we've come full circle from being at the edge of Holt Renfrew, back to being at the edge of Holt Renfrew...

From the Greater Yorkville Residents' Association website:

Teatro Verde presently located in the Hazelton Lanes will be relocating to the smaller of the two buildings on Yorkville. Diesel will open a 7,700-square-foot flagship store at the Bellair site.

http://www.gyra.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=29

I was speaking to a salesperson at Teatro Verde a couple of weeks ago and she also indicated that she heard a Sunglass Hut would also move in.

The townhouses on Scollard are looking absolutely excellent. The brick they are using looks great. They have put in some windows as well.

The scaling as compared with the rest of the street is pretty much dead on. This is the best part of the project. I wish the peachy pink cladding on the tower were replaced with the brick they used on the townhouses. Then the building would be a real head turner, I think.

My pictures didn't turn out, but I'll get some next time I'm over.

BTW, here is the render for the townhouses:

project.jpg

January 10

From Yorkville looking northeast.
3197361240_20334cd004_b.jpg

tylergreenleaf here is a photo of the Scollard St. townhouses on the north side of the development.
3197361242_96b9c9eb53_b.jpg

The towns look nice, though an even setback with the building to the west would have been nice. Granted, I'm basing this on the one photo above and I don't know how they are seen with the other buildings on Scollard. I reckon they were moved closer to the street to allow for the building behind them.

the render seems to look nicer. There seems to be more space away from the road in the render than there is in the actual photo. Well, I guess will have to see how it looks after everything is done. Outside design is not bad though. I wonder if the inside is just as nice.

The brick actually looks pretty nice, but I can't get past the terrible pre-cast faux Classicist adornment on the front. It looks very tacky.

Seconded. The brick looks great, but the rest is cheap. If you're going to do faux historicism, is it really that hard to emulate ye olde details?

Thirded (is that a word ???)

The brickwork should help these TH blend in with Yorkville; however, the pre-cast just screams cheap and over-done.
I don't like the columns at the doorway and I find the rest of the pre-cast to be TOO chunky - it might have looked better if they were half the thickness.

I thought they were going to do wood-work and not pre-cast ... I guess it's cheaper to go this way ?!??!

Back