Toronto 1 Yorkville | 183.18m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

In all seriousness I'd think that personal drones like the ones currently available at Best Buy and the like will be able to capture angles like that by the time this thing is complete (5 years +?). Not trying to be cheeky here but when you consider the exponential progress of technology it's pretty likely.

99% of people will experience the building from further down Yonge Street looking up toward the building, or experience it from the sidewalk. If people can see it through Google Earth or a "drone" or whatever the future technology, that is not nearly as important as the actual human experience and interaction with the building.

The rendering above doesn't give much useful information about the tower's design apart from its rooftop terrace. Yet people here will judge its design off the rendering. I was simply reminding everyone to judge the building from the viewpoint it will actually be seen from (or from the interior spaces in which people will actually live), not from some strange angle in the sky used by marketers.

That said, the building won't be seen as it is in an elevation or other similar drawings, since that is a 2D projection.

Last edited:
A little better quality courtesy of Bazis Blog.

Exterior-Looking-Down-Rooftop.jpg

The roofline of X Condos should've been treated this way, instead of necessarily creating an entire floor around the mechanical, the TD Centre-esque motif could've been extended as a parapet.

Interesting how there looks to be tiered seating next to the stair to the upper level terrace. Some kind of performance stage, perhaps?

They did a good job of not having the balconies ruin the architects vision for the project. I have the feeling this style of "buried" balcony will become popular.

Recessed balconies may allow a clean look to the facade, but the recess creates dark living spaces with less light penetration than a flush window or protruding balcony would provide. The dark shaded living spaces, do however, improve a building's LEED score.

Interesting how there looks to be tiered seating next to the stair to the upper level terrace. Some kind of performance stage, perhaps?

I believe that there is a projection TV screen on the opposite wall there...so that would function as seating.

The render people seem to enjoy sitting on the concrete steps.

1 Yorkville Rooftop Theatre.jpg

image by Bazis Inc and Plaza

Attachments

• 1 Yorkville Rooftop Theatre.jpg
    1 Yorkville Rooftop Theatre.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 748
"99% of people will experience the building from further down Yonge Street looking up toward the building, or experience it from the sidewalk. If people can see it through Google Earth or a "drone" or whatever the future technology, that is not nearly as important as the actual human experience and interaction with the building."

SP!RE, I agree but I think many people on this forum aren't convinced and put far greater emphasis on the conceptual feeling they have about a building or the mental projection of the project rather than it's true state or the product as executed. Personally, I find it sometimes shocking to experience buildings and structures I knew only from architectural renderings or photography in person.

Question on a practical matter - provision for a window cleaning system. No roof anchors or mountings for davits are shown. The davits would have to be fairly large to reach over the roof parapets. Using a rope based window cleaning system would also present challenges in both anchoring the ropes, and how would they go over the parapets?

Anyone have an insight into how these issues are to be handled?

I find it interesting how the render acknowledges the cumberland terrace/80 Bloor developments directly to the south (they haven't even hit launched yet). The only cheating here is the top-down approach, so it looks as if 1 Yorkville will much lot taller than the cumberland development to the north, when in fact, a decent chunk of the southern views of this tower will be obstructed.

The outdoor roof projection screen is a really nice amenity. I really miss the Amsterdam Open Roof summer film series before the brewery was demolished -- it's a great experience watching a movie outside on a nice warm night.

While I like buildings with recessed or no balconies at all which makes for a cleaner and sleeker look, I don't enjoy being in or having a recessed balcony. They feel rather dark and clausterphobic and you don't get the full experience of being outside. Also these balconies tend to be smaller, as seen at X or L-Tower, and BBQ'ing on one is probably out of the question. But I am the minority who actually makes use of their balcony.
With a roof terrace like that, who needs a large balcony?

Back