Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

how is PATH going to connect to ice?

I understand that ICE will have PATH connection through a underground tunnel across York Street that will join up with the knock-out panel provided for in the west wall of Maple Leaf Square on the P1 level

IMO, the PATH south of Union Station will be a useless mess due to all the elevation changes. To get to MLS you have to climb to the second floor and then go down 2 stories to access ICE? To get to 18 York you still have to climb one storey but again drop 2 after to get into ICE from the north? How is all this stair (escalator) climbing a good thing and will it not make it mind bending and useless for all those tourists in this district?

IMO, the PATH south of Union Station will be a useless mess due to all the elevation changes. To get to MLS you have to climb to the second floor and then go down 2 stories to access ICE? To get to 18 York you still have to climb one storey but again drop 2 after to get into ICE from the north? How is all this stair (escalator) climbing a good thing and will it not make it mind bending and useless for all those tourists in this district?

I would think warmth, plus extra exercise.

I would hope these tourists would walk outside and add to the pedestrian life on the streets.

I would hope these tourists would walk outside and add to the pedestrian life on the streets.

Some tourists may be curious to walk part of the famous "PATH" but I think most don't know about it and if they did, don't care about it even though they may use a section of it by happenstance.
I say this because as a tourist who used to visit Montreal regularly I know there's the underground RÉSO there but I never had any desire to go out of my way to walk it or see it, though like many tourists I did enter parts of it on occasion.

Exactly. The PATH is more of a convenience for people who live and work in the area. If you were a tourist visiting Toronto why would you want to lock yourself in a maze of enclosed walkways? You experience a city by being out on the street.

Depends on the type of tourist you are. Maybe you're an urban tourist that loves cities, and experiencing a city as a resident does. Then you'd be all about trying out things like the PATH.

Some tourists may be curious to walk part of the famous "PATH" but I think most don't know about it and if they did, don't care about it even though they may use a section of it by happenstance.
I say this because as a tourist who used to visit Montreal regularly I know there's the underground RÉSO there but I never had any desire to go out of my way to walk it or see it, though like many tourists I did enter parts of it on occasion.

Totally agreed. I've always contended that the PATH system is primarily a utilitarian environment for workers and downtown dwellers, but mostly the former. After 5 o'clock, there isn't a store light left on in the entire network, save for the occasional coffee shop. Its raison d'être is to serve suits from 9 - 5. Tourists and resident wanderers are bonuses.

Depends on the type of tourist you are. Maybe you're an urban tourist that loves cities, and experiencing a city as a resident does. Then you'd be all about trying out things like the PATH.

I'm with you, some people would spend a little time taking in part of the PATH but I don't think it's a major destination for an urban explorer. I've used the PATH more in the past year & a half than the previous 20 and I find that after 10 or 15 minutes I can't wait to get the hell out of there but that said it serves it's primary purpose fairly well.

Montreal markets the RÉSO as a major tourist attraction. When I lived there I was approached multiple times by tourists searching for the "Underground City."

When it's freezing cold outside, especially near the waterfront which is much colder than other parts of the city in the winter, I would take extra stairs any day if it promised me warmth. Long live PATH.

Montreal markets the RÉSO as a major tourist attraction. When I lived there I was approached multiple times by tourists searching for the "Underground City."

Despite the mundane retail presence, I've found that the PATH is a feature that consistently excites tourists who are difficult to impress. Honestly, it's like a repetitive scrolling background from The Flintstones...

dry cleaner... bank branch... frumpy womens' clothing/shoe store... gateway news... foodcourt... repeat.

I count my lucky stars it's there every time I use it, though (daily).

This is no different from PATH as it exists now. Toronto slopes down toward the lake, so if you follow PATH from its north end, you frequently encounter stairs and escalators. Since when are stairs and escalators "mind-bending"? As long as PATH signage and maps are updated, there should be no problem.

Also, I have been stopped by tourists who wanted to see PATH. It may not be our most prominent tourist attraction, but it is still touted as the most extensive underground network - and a very nice one compared to those in some other cities, even if it is not a destination for Torontonians.

Back