Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

From a purely land use perspective, because of the proximity to GO transit etc, the same can be said that the space should be kept for office uses (or retail offices, I am not sure how Toronto zoning by-law/OP designates employment uses).

Also, because of its great location, wouldn't the City want to protect these lands for offices (whenver they actually become feasible) so it won't be gobbled up for residential uses or a mixture of residential/retail commercial uses?

Last edited:
Cadillac Fairview the doing the office project. They are also marking the office project on there website. The office project is a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
New rendering I found in ICE's brochure ... and yes the sales office is open to public now (only the trailer)

ice_rendering.jpg

Okay, that looks different. I like the original design better, more variations in the design.

They wish Infinity 1 & 2 were nondescript, minimalist slabs. Residents on the first 20 floors facing west will not have a very nice view :O

They wish Infinity 1 & 2 were nondescript, minimalist slabs. Residents on the first 20 floors facing west will not have a very nice view :O

It is their own fault for providing sales of such a crappy building that allowed it to get built in the first place.

But seriously, the new design is a bit tamer than the previous renderings. While I am pretty excited about this project I hope that subsequent renderings do not Cheapentm the end result and further.

My biggest concern with this project, however, is the treatment of the York St. streetwall. I'd rather a more dynamic, pedestrian-friendly podium to compliment the other new developments. The podium seems too small/low (floor count). Is it just me?

My biggest concern with this project, however, is the treatment of the York St. streetwall. I'd rather a more dynamic, pedestrian-friendly podium to compliment the other new developments. The podium seems too small/low (floor count). Is it just me?

I agree with you that the podium could have been a bit more, but I don't mind what they've done to open up the street level courtyard to the public (at least that what I think they've done).

WHat i have concerns with is the south side of the podium that would be adjacent to the westbound on-ramp for the Gardiner (assuming I am right in that the view is from the southeast looking northwest towards the CN Tower). This part would have almost no sunlight except in the earlier morning and afternoon (if that) and little pedestrian traffic except for those using the South Linear Park.

I don't mind the design of the buildings, even though it is a little more conservative than before. It's a kinda like The Met/Encore, and those turned out well albeit different architects and builders.

The design of the project has not changed (yet) - it is simply a different artistic interpretation of the project. Renderings are just an artistic interpretation from blueprints, massing models and the architects that don't reflect with absolute accuracy what the building will ultimately look like - they give a general sense of the future. This is simply a slightly different interpretation and possibly a more realistic interpretation of the window wall system that will likely be utilized; the previous renderings were flashier, but not terribly realistic.

I don't agree with CSW2424 assessment that this is the cheaping (which is a term too easily tossed around - buildings often don't have any change whatsoever in construction budgets, materials or design yet get accused of being "cheaped" by some observers based on a drawing they saw in an advertisement in a magazine put together by a undergrad art student or rendering firm based in Florida off of architectural drawings completed 2 or 3 years prior to a shovel going in the ground).

With respect to Ice, general construction budgets and timelines will have been set at this point, but contracts haven't been signed and some materials haven't yet been sourced. It is unlikely that the window wall supplier has been confirmed or any contracts been set out. So what really has been "cheapened" if nothing of any substance has actually changed? It is just a drawing for marketing purposes based on the design (that hasn't yet been approved by council) from the architect - the working drawings probably haven't even been done yet... all that has changed is the style in which the artist depicted the proposed structure.

York Centre will be a crazy place in the future. Lots of stuff happening, lots of activity.

....summer or winter.

That name still strikes me as a strange choice. I predict a lot of miscommunication between friends telling each other to "meet me at York Centre" and ending up at Empress Walk, or something.

If you allow me some poetic liscence.....I think all of the zoning/planning issues around the 4 corners of York and Bremner were designed to ensure that the entire intersection did not turn into residential towers and that some employment/desitination type building occured.

Remember, it is not long ago that it was 3 parking lots and a wastland that made up this intersection.

So, a little bit down the road, how have we faired.

We have one corner nearly complete with a +/- 1 million s.f. office building that is the new Toronto home of a major telecommunications company.

We have one corner well under construction with a stunning mixed-use project that will provide 170 hotel rooms, +/- 200,000 s.f. of retail, +/- 200,000 s.f. of office.

We have another project that is prepping for the construction another significiant (+/- 800,000 s.f.) office building.

Taken as a total intersection, York and Bremner is going to be very good example of a live/work/play part of town regardless of what is ultimately built on the south-west corner.

The area/city likely does not need more offices for the forseeable future. To risk the new residential development (at this time) on some dogmatic insistance that there be office/commercial space included in the development would be very unwise (IMO). In fact, given the existing development on the south side of Bremner west of York......an office building might be mis-placed and, perhaps, the "row" should just be finished off with more condos (assuming there is market acceptance).

That name still strikes me as a strange choice. I predict a lot of miscommunication between friends telling each other to "meet me at York Centre" and ending up at Empress Walk, or something.

I can't see that being too likely, most people with that hazy a knowledge of the city will probably continue using the ACC as the general meeting landmark around here. Possibly MLS once it's complete, but I doubt many people will refer to the York Centre as much more than "the office tower across from the ACC".

The area/city likely does not need more offices for the forseeable future. To risk the new residential development (at this time) on some dogmatic insistance that there be office/commercial space included in the development would be very unwise (IMO). In fact, given the existing development on the south side of Bremner west of York......an office building might be mis-placed and, perhaps, the "row" should just be finished off with more condos (assuming there is market acceptance).

Actually, south of Bremner west of York will be another office building. I don't think the city will let them just build 2 tall residential without adding in another office component. But when that office component will be completed is another matter. Might be the next 5-6 years.

As for possible lack of office space later, there's still several parking lots left downtown to fill up.

That render is a bit more conservative, but as pointed out, the building has not changed, it's just a different artistic render of the building.

Back