Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

From across Humber Bay:

P1410110.jpg

Attachments

• P1410110.jpg
    P1410110.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,344
Is it an illusion in that last pic, or is this roof going to have a pitch to it? Those forms don't look level to me.

Is it an illusion in that last pic, or is this roof going to have a pitch to it? Those forms don't look level to me.

Illusion.

The roof element on both towers are level and the exact shape of the tower's floorplate below. However, they are rotated counter clockwise by several degrees. This, plus the unusual curved shape often gives the illusion of an angle which is different from the level parapet below.

Took a few shots from the harbour this afternoon.

14566015909_4c2ec2d856_b.jpg

I like this angle. It's real nice with the illusion of Ice being apart of the financial district cluster, adding layers, and adding height at the same time. I always hate how stubby even our tallest buildings like FCP look from the classic post-card-view of our skyline from the lake; next to the CN tower... The costs of having a city built away from the lake :(

I like this angle. It's real nice with the illusion of Ice being apart of the financial district cluster, adding layers, and adding height at the same time. I always hate how stubby even our tallest buildings like FCP look from the classic post-card-view of our skyline from the lake; next to the CN tower... The costs of having a city built away from the lake :(

First World problems, eh? I hope your hate towards Toronto's skyline not filling in to your aesthetical standards doesn't dismay you too much...

And the city was built "away" from the lake because the lakefront was occupied by industries that supported the city's economy: which is sort of necessary. But that was then; now, quite obviously, Toronto's waterfront is redeveloping. The city is no longer built "away" from the lake, but increasingly along it.

First World problems, eh? I hope your hate towards Toronto's skyline not filling in to your aesthetical standards doesn't dismay you too much...

Steveve - I get what you are alluding to. While in a sense, it is an accident of history, the Toronto skyline has been dominated by buildings away from the waterfront, many of them with vanilla square box profiles. Another newbie comment to be regarded as such....

Illusion.

The roof element on both towers are level and the exact shape of the tower's floorplate below. However, they are rotated counter clockwise by several degrees. This, plus the unusual curved shape often gives the illusion of an angle which is different from the level parapet below.

Great answer - thank you!

Back