Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Sigh* will any Toronto project every be exempt from ''The Cheaping''TM?

I don't think people would keep getting disappointed and thinking projects are "cheapened", if they just realized that these renders exist in an idealistic world, and are never guaranteed to be a final product.

I don't think people would keep getting disappointed and thinking projects are "cheapened", if they just realized that these renders exist in an idealistic world, and are never guaranteed to be a final product.

I agree, to expect a building to be exactly like the renders is just like saying that all cats should be like Tom and all mice should be like Jerry.

I agree, to expect a building to be exactly like the renders is just like saying that all cats should be like Tom and all mice should be like Jerry.

I really like that analogy :p I would've loved to see those curves, but what we are getting is still very attractive and unique :)

It's also a misconception that this is just a Toronto thing. The render of my last apartment in the UK showed it situated in the rolling fields of the English countryside, rather than surrounded by three major roads in the middle of a city, along with balconies that didn't exist. It happens everywhere folks.

Last edited:
The thing I don't get is that Toronto is spending a small fortune to bring the Waterfront back to the city and then decide at the same time to put up a blue glass wall in front of it. Just when you thought the railways and Gardiner cut off the Waterfront from the city, along comes Southcore.

If Southcore had been designed with a pattern more along the lines of the Donlands/Portlands/Bayfront with low and medium density and a pleasant streetscape it would have been an inviting area as opposed to the glass emporium it has become.

If Southcore had been designed with a pattern more along the lines of the Donlands/Portlands/Bayfront with low and medium density and a pleasant streetscape it would have been an inviting area as opposed to the glass emporium it has become.

I don't know about that, Southcore was planned to be the continuation of the downtown CBD. it would not have made sense to build it elsewhere

The thing I don't get is that Toronto is spending a small fortune to bring the Waterfront back to the city and then decide at the same time to put up a blue glass wall in front of it. Just when you thought the railways and Gardiner cut off the Waterfront from the city, along comes Southcore.

I think this is more about waterfront accessibility rather than sight lines.

As an area resident since 2009 I disagree. If anything Southcore filled the void of nothingness between the lake and the CBD. With the aquarium open the area is really coming into its own (and it will get even better as the remaining buildings to be completed around this time next year). The QQ revitalization will do wonders for making the lake more inviting; I don't think lower density would make a difference as one still has to contend with the railway and expressway.

Architecturally we got three really nice buildings (Delta, ICE 1&2), a couple decent though boxy towers with pretty nice lobbies (Telus and PWC) and a few duds (MLS - nice podium though, and Infinity - total crap, but base retail is better than anything in CP or LV). Overall, a few less box designs would have been welcome but I think this an excellent, true mixed use area that doesn't impede access to the water at all

Last edited:
Don't forget the elevators are always breaking. In a good note I am loving that I extended the gym hours and the rooftop is great in summer.

nltx.jpg

If anything Southcore filled the void of nothingness between the lake and the CBD.

Exactly. The new developments have pieced the area back together, not provided a barrier. I remember when I first visited Toronto in 2001. I found it very unusual the way the south end of downtown went from city to wasteland, to parking lots, to lake. It's become much more cohesive now, and will only get better. The only "wall" this provides is the blocking of views from other buildings, but that is no argument for not developing the area.

It's also a misconception that this is just a Toronto thing. The render of my last apartment in the UK showed it situated in the rolling fields of the English countryside, rather than surrounded by three major roads in the middle of a city, along with balconies that didn't exist. It happens everywhere folks.

I guess the quality and similarity between renders and actual building depends on money as well, like my grandfather bought a condo in princess tower in Dubai it looks like a freaking suite of a 7-star hotel but comes with a price tag of $9.3 million.
so I believe money is the major issue of quality and similarity.

I guess the quality and similarity between renders and actual building depends on money as well, like my grandfather bought a condo in princess tower in Dubai it looks like a freaking suite of a 7-star hotel but comes with a price tag of $9.3 million.
so I believe money is the major issue of quality and similarity.

Nice! When is the housewarming party? ;)

It will be interesting to see how much more Southcore and the CBD are visually and connectively brought together when (or if) the MTCC North building is redeveloped, with it bridging the rail corridor. There are a few spots where it's nearly seamless (like through Union), but for much of Southcore the rail corridor is still a very real barrier.

Also, the rail corridor from a skyline perspective provides a pretty significant break in the flow, and really visually separates Southcore from the CBD from most angles, particularly from the east and west. The Oxford development may also help visually bridge that skyline gap.

Back