Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

It's a rendering, but here's a similar view with the majority of the building's actually built. One's still missing from that one are 90 Harbour and 88 Scott:

10york.jpg

Wow, awesome picture! In which year would will be able to see that? 2016?

Honestly no condos should be allowed to be built along QQ, especially the south side. We have too many ugly ones on it already!

Last edited:
^ Ah, I love it down there. Toronto's waterfront needs so much work, but many of the areas built west of Bay in the 80s are, to me, really attractive. I think it's the 80s aesthetic that I get into especially, being an 80s kid.

^ Ah, I love it down there. Toronto's waterfront needs so much work, but many of the areas built west of Bay in the 80s are, to me, really attractive. I think it's the 80s aesthetic that I get into especially, being an 80s kid.

None of that area was built in the 80s .....

None of that area was built in the 80s .....

Your gentle (?) correction is welcome. But note that whether or not it was built in the 80s has little bearing on whether it has a broadly 80s aesthetic, unless we assume that an area's aesthetic can exemplify a time period only if it was in fact built/developed in that period. And it was the aesthetic to which I was mainly referring above. Either way, I'm comfortable speaking much more loosely and frankly superficially than many here are, even at the risk of often being wrong, as I have no pretensions to being any more than a dilettante.

*edited for clarity

Your gentle (?) correction is welcome. But note that whether or not it was built in the 80s has little bearing on whether it has a broadly 80s aesthetic, unless we assume that an area's aesthetic can exemplify a time period only if it was in fact built/developed in that period. And it was the aesthetic to which I was mainly referring above. Either way, I'm comfortable speaking much more loosely and frankly superficially than many here are, even at the risk of often being wrong, as I have no pretensions to being any more than a dilettante.

*edited for clarity

I apologize I didn't mean to come off as an ass, and I see I did.

Yea I was referring to the waterfront area it self, on the south side of Harbourfront center. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but both condos in the picture in question are also fairly recent. The older condos on the south side of Queens Quay right at bay (and a couple west of the condos in the picture) are indeed from that timeframe. I don't mind them either but they way they meet the street is terrible.

I think he is referring to queens quay west of bay...which was in fact mostly built during the 70s and 80s

East and west of Bay St., as in between York & Yonge Sts. Until the mid to late 80's there wasn't much down there (as in a destination) except the ferry docks, the Harbour Square Condos, The Toronto Star & The Harbour Castle. Oh ya, & Captain John's. Our waterfront has obviously come along tremendously since then and has become one of the more desirable places to live downtown, hence the building craze down there.

The Queen's Quay Terminal conversion was 1983.

Yes but the waterfront area it self (around the building) I think the was more recently done or at least "re-done" in the 2000s.

East and west of Bay St., as in between York & Yonge Sts. Until the mid to late 80's there wasn't much down there (as in a destination) except the ferry docks, the Harbour Square Condos, The Toronto Star & The Harbour Castle. Oh ya, & Captain John's. Our waterfront has obviously come along tremendously since then and has become one of the more desirable places to live downtown, hence the building craze down there.

The Harbour Square Condos are probably the ugliest building on our waterfront, and they are BIG!
The above photo skillfully avoids showing that however.

Yes, they are like a wall, preventing the view of the lake. Back then. when they were designed 30 years ago, there were very few people around to even look at the buildings. And if we compare the quality of the building, the materials, the size of rooms and the apartments, then 33,55 and 65 HS are far better than most of the new buildings. I solved the problem by living in one of the them, so my view is better than those people looking at Harbour Square.

IMG_0800.jpg

Last edited:

Back