News   Oct 02, 2024
 77     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 308     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 389     0 

Took my family to the AGO today

Wednesdays from 18:00 to 20:30, admission is free for the simple folks like me.

Well, it's definitely better than the measly hour the ROM gives. Good to know.

The admission price at a lot of museums and galleries allow a second visit for free within a certain period of time (perhaps a week or a month). This gives people the ability to not have to rush so much in order to see the whole museum. It seems unlikely that such a policy would lead to much of a loss of revenue, while giving serious visitors much greater satisfaction.

I haven't heard about this but it would be welcome if true--or is this a wish? It's a good idea, though it would not cover special exhibitions unless the timing was right.

I haven't heard about this but it would be welcome if true--or is this a wish? It's a good idea, though it would not cover special exhibitions unless the timing was right.

It's a wish for the ROM and AGO. I've seen it elsewhere. For example, at the Museum of Fine Art in Boston states that admission includes "One free repeat visit to the MFA's collections within ten days".

I think admission to the AGO and ROM should be free to everyone, all the time. Collectively, we own all of this stuff - so we shouldn't have to pay to see it.

Failing that, memberships are good value - four or five visits a year and you've paid for it.

It's a good point Shocker, we do own the properties. But we live in a society which is not able / willing to provide free access to things which not everyone values equally. As another example, we also "own" the provincial parks where some of us like to go canoeing and camping in the summer. Admission is charged, because (I think) it would not be politically palatable that everyone should pay through taxes to maintain these facilities that are used by a minority. Recreational swimming, etc. at local community centres are another example. There is always some charge (maybe not full cost recovery) for such programs.

In the meantime I think that both memberships or perhaps to a lesser extent the single admissions are good value. Not everyone will agree, and for some, particularly families, these charges are perceived as high. I don't pretend to have an answer.

The ROM claims that their Family Membership can pay for itself in two visits, and you also get free admission if you accompany a person with disabilities. The AGO and ROM give members' discounts at their restaurants and gift shops. Symphony, Ballet and Opera subscribers get discounts at a number of restaurants and bars around town. There are also cross-memberships between institutions, and occasional free days, depending on your level of membership - and exhibition previews and special events for members. In fact, there's quite a support network for people who've been bitten by the arts bug and can't stay at home staring slack-jawed at blank walls all day ...

I agree that admission should be free to all as it feels like we're paying twice to experience something everyone needs in the first place: culture. Too bad it's such a tough sell. The membership idea might be the way to go what with all the fringe benefits and all--along with a sneaking suspicion I might end up blowing even more money in the process.

However, I'm definitely not ready to look at the dinosaur exhibit for at least another 5 years or so or until I begin to question my mortality.

The AGO, by contrast, reopened with everything in place. It's a bit much for one visit, in fact really demands two or three visits, but it's deeply satisfying.
The AGO rebuild is, IMO, a great update. The building is still all about art, and doesn't overdo its exterior.

The ROM on the other hand is a poorly designed project. When you look at the ROM from the "new" front, you have no idea that it is a museum. When you enter the ROM, you still have no idea that it is a museum. There's nothing historic about the place until you finally walk past the vast entrance. The ROM's foyer and crystal could just as well be a upscale car dealership or airport.

I predict that in 20 years, the crystal will be leaking, worn and within 40 years will be removed and replaced.

^Considering that Libeskind's addition involved the removal of another addition that wasn't even 25 years old*, I think you may have a point. I love the architecture of the ROM, but I find the craftsmanship and layout to be subpar.

*It's true that the AGO involved the removal of an addition that was barely 15 years old, but I think that the Gehry is here to stay. The AGO reconstruction is like the Union Station of our times: something good and relatively young was replaced by something grand and permanent.

Ask yourself, though, why the Terrace Galleries were removed. They didn't work very well. They were a radical departure from the sensible 1914 plan, which called for a linking-wing at the north end of the site - joining the east and west wings at three floors and creating an enclosed courtyard - a plan which the Crystal finally accomplishes. The Terrace Galleries blocked the space between the east and west wings without engaging them - compare that to the pedestrian flow we'll get when all of the ROM's new galleries are open. The Crystal's a good example of how practical the design process should be - as is the AGO.

The admission prices are a bit high. They are "world class" attractions (overused word, but appropriate). In spite of recent generous gifts, Toronto institutions still don't have the depth of philantrhopic support that a few of the high-profile places in New York City, for example, have. Accessibility is an issue.

That's the real problem. We could debate whether the ROM is worth $20 but the fact remains that some of the world's greatest museum's (eg The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The British Museum) are either pay-what-you-can or free.

There must be a happy medium.

Ask yourself, though, why the Terrace Galleries were removed. They didn't work very well. They were a radical departure from the sensible 1914 plan, which called for a linking-wing at the north end of the site - joining the east and west wings at three floors and creating an enclosed courtyard - a plan which the Crystal finally accomplishes. The Terrace Galleries blocked the space between the east and west wings without engaging them - compare that to the pedestrian flow we'll get when all of the ROM's new galleries are open. The Crystal's a good example of how practical the design process should be - as is the AGO.

And on top of that, if you find the ROM crystal "subpar" next to Gehry's AGO, consider that the Terrace Galleries were aesthetically "subpar" compared to Barton Myers + KPMB's AGO, i.e. exactly the kind of concrete banality that Prince Charles was to excoriate as monstrous and carbuncular a couple of years later. So, if you're using *that* kind of judgment, maybe the tradeoff in both cases is even...

I didn't find the Terrace Galleries offensive to look at. They had a reserved, aloofness to them - set back from Bloor beyond a little patch of green and some railings -that oozed "classy". That reno created some nice skylights, for instance ( some of which remain, above the Gallery of Chinese Architecture ), that brought in a subtle play of natural light ( as Gehry has done at the AGO ). But they were a departure from a sensible long-range plan to expand the pedestrian promenade throughout the building, and make busy Bloor Street the entrance once more, so it made sense to remove them as part of a larger development plan to revive the institution. As a bonus, a couple of galleries were added on a new fourth floor and a fancy restaurant on a new fifth floor.

The Crystal galleries are large, versatile spaces, not custom designed for what goes in them. Gehry's AGO addition is rather the opposite. Many of the large artworks in the AGO's contemporary galleries wouldn't fit into the smaller galleries, some with low ceilings, that house the Thomson collection; the small Krieghoffs and Milnes would get lost if moved to the contemporary galleries; the Henry Moore and Frum Collections are also housed in custom-designed spaces. Whereas the Crystal is a single wing, the AGO addition is nuanced, with several distinctive components ( the south wing and the Dundas wing could be from different buildings they're so unmatched ) and that reflects the different needs of the two institutions - quite successfully, I think.

It seems that whenever people don't like a building they call it a "car dealership". Both the Crystal and the Four Seasons Centre - buildings about as dissimilar as you can get - have been called that recently on this forum. But there are some well designed car dealerships in Toronto ( two near me, facing onto the Don valley, for instance ... ) that appear to be every bit as practical - as design solutions - as our various new cultural buildings have turned out to be.

My girlfriend and I finally saw the new AGO firsthand yesterday. Since we only had an hour before closing, we sort of attacked the gallery like this.

Nevertheless, in my haste, I was able to absorb enough of the new building to conclude that this is the better of the two major museum renos; that the Walker Court is the best interior space built in Toronto since Calatrava's galleria; that the new contemporary galleries in the Gehry cube look good - really good - and that the Thomson ships sit in what might be the most lithe looking display cases I've ever seen. The Galleria Italia, though a great interior space, might have been awesome if it were slightly wider and a touch taller.

Back