News   Aug 26, 2024
 397     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 417     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 531     2 

Too much junk in threads.

I thought it seemed strange that he had, um, how to put this, suddenly become coherent and literate in the middle of the night.

A wild guess, but perhaps someone he's friends with on the forum has gone into his account (either knowingly or unknowingly on his part) in order to make us all think he's somehow become coherent overnight. This could be done to either make us believe he has changed or to "take the piss" and get a laugh out of us.

I have to agree with several of the complaints above. I am still a relatively new member of this forum, and was quite interested at first because the level of comment / debate seemed to be a step above some other forums. Unfortunately I also find a lot of clutter, with pictures of cartoon characters or other off-topic depictions, and comments which I take to be in-jokes which may be fun to some but not terribly meaningful to some others.

When a thread veers drastically off topic it should be chopped off or moved to another area. A discussion of the Trump tower which somehow morphs into a discussion of Ayn Rand should be lifted out of the section entirely and moved over to Politics, where those who remain interested can follow it to their hearts content.

I also think basic courtesy and consideration have a place. I don't know the member whose style seems to have changed recently, but I wonder how he is reacting if, possibly responding to some previous criticism, he is trying to "upgrade" the contributions he makes, and is still mocked for it (can't win??). A few of these recent comments aimed at him or about him also reflect poorly IMO. By all means let's have debate and disagreement, but let's keep it respectful.

I don't know the member whose style seems to have changed recently, but I wonder how he is reacting if, possibly responding to some previous criticism, he is trying to "upgrade" the contributions he makes, and is still mocked for it (can't win??). A few of these recent comments aimed at him or about him also reflect poorly IMO.

I will agree that some of the comments made to this particular forumer where in poor taste. But when someones behaviour changes instantaneously then I think its fair to be somewhat suspect about it.

Overall I do agree with Walt and what others have been saying and hopefully we can bring the level of discourse and maturity up to what it once was.

Trouble is, if you screw things too tight, threads like this become verboten. Seriousness is good, but not at the expense of all irreverence...

You also run the risk of the forum losing some of its personality.

My thinking is that Projects & Construction should likely be the most strict of the sub-forums as people tend to hit the various projects for the latest information on that particular project. However, in all the other sub-forums, I think it's quite acceptable for the topics to go off on different tangents as long as they don't stray too far.

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with avatars as it helps you find posts by people you like to read and also to find your own postings more quickly. It also gives the different posters a bit of an identity and brings some colour to the forum as well.

I think avatars are fine; I have no problem with the "spinning thingy" or small pictures which add personality, as Darkstar puts it. Humor is good too, I'm always willing to have a laugh. My complaints are threads which go completely off-topic, new ones should be opened. Also rude comments (espec. those which are personal and mocking in tone) which are basically not justified at all.

Hey! Freedom for ad hominem jpgs
351386-screw_ball.jpg

dip.gif

duncecap.jpg

adma:

Don't push your luck, lest your postings disappear "mysteriously".

AoD

I know; that's why I concentrated'em in "neutralized" form in that post...

My thinking is that Projects & Construction should likely be the most strict of the sub-forums as people tend to hit the various projects for the latest information on that particular project.

Though that would also render P&C too professionally nerdy and colourless for comfort, if you tie things too tight. I mean, remove the Tommy James, etc references in this thread and things get pretty bland, indeed...

Notice, however, that few of us would actually miss that particular reference. Present company excluded.

AoD

How about locking polls 6 months after the poll is started or after a poll is no longer relevant. What is the point in having a poll about something in 2003 showing up at the top of the forum 2006?

Back