505     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 435     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 472     0 

Too much junk in threads.

A

alklay

No offence to anybody there is too much junk in the threads: pictures, sounds, comments that have nothing to do with the subject matter, signature quotes, etc. I am not sure how you patrol it, but the thread and the topics are becoming unreadable and I for one, am losing interest. Just my 2 cents.

Your concern is noted - let me bring that up among the admin/mods.

AoD

I’m aware of the problem and the moderators and I will fix it.

Its tough as there is such a fine line between witty comments and pages and pages of comments that ultimately have nothing to do with the topic in question. One cute comment about the name of a soccer team is fine...3 pages of comments, when it has nothing even do with 'development', is frustrating.

Heck, I am not even sure what the "Brookfield" thread is about anymore (as another example).

I usually lash out at people with distracting sigs on the forum. I haven't noticed many lately.

Somehow I triggered the name the Toronto soccer team thing by pointing out that a team name like Inter Toronto FC mimicking the names of other successful teams points at an inferiority complex.

Adma's noises are listen at your own peril and haven't really bothered me much but the pictures of someones bike or someones cat in threads having nothing to do with that is a little distracting.

The Brookfield thread has turned into a who needs office space thread. I'm not a big supporter of pure speculation without fact but it seems these forums are full of people who love to speculate.

i just cant stand all the junk in projects and construction threads.some of the posts have nothing to do with the thread.its only a few forumers that are constantly babbling
about f**k all.

i've been noticing a lot more of this too, and it seems like there's even three or four posters who make nothing except off-topic posts.

Sadly, the situation appears to be getting worse. The Trump thread contains unnecessary name calling, debates about Rand and pictures of keys(???!!!). Calling all moderators!!!!

I am a moderator on another board and we constantly delete posts and portions of posts just to keep things on track...and once a person gets part of their post cut, they understand how to avoid that happening in the future...and it does not happen in the future. Its tough to draw the line between a good witty comment or two and a thread getting out of control, but the moderators are able to strike a bit of a balance without upsetting too many.

I am not sure how this board is moderated but we could use a little more of it. We do not want to make the other 'urban' boards look better than ours (and sadly, I think that is happening).

There is starting to be quite a bit of junk posts. I don't think fiendishlibrarian's picture of a lock was terribly out of place though. Not to say that thread should be locked but I think his point was made.

Agreed, fiendishlibrarian's pic was probably appropriate but sadly ineffective.

I'd say that an animated spinny-thing beside one's name counts as "Junk in threads."

So are the Nth posting on phantom express bus routes, the sky-is-falling office and retail sector apocalypse in downtown Toronto. I would much rather look at a small, unintrusive spinning thingy over badly composed threads having to resort to all-caps to get the "point" across.

Ring a bell?

AoD

Actually, I can see how my spinning thing can be a bit annoying but its funny because its damn useful in finding my own posts.

I will look into getting something that is not exactly 'spinning.'

I think AP is correct by the way, someone is definitely using mike's account. There are two postings in the politics section that are unlike anything he's ever written, both in content and style. He rarely posts there, and he certainly has never stated his preference for Louise Arbour to run for the leader of the Liberals, for one thing.

Back