News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 574     0 

TO Left off T+L great cities list.

N

nassauone

From Today's Star.

T.O. noticeably absent from Best Cities list in annual readers' travel survey. World-class status may come next year, but `nothing personal,' says editor
Aug. 29, 2006. 07:41 AM
MADHAVI ACHARYA-TOM YEW
BUSINESS REPORTER

Vancouver and Victoria have the Pacific Ocean and the Rocky Mountains.
Quebec City and Montreal have history and culture.
But what does Toronto have to entice tourists from around the world? Not much, according to the readers of Travel + Leisure magazine.
Four Canadian cities ranked in the top 10 U.S. and Canadian destinations in the popular travel publication's annual World's Best awards.
Vancouver ranks the highest at Number 6, followed by Quebec City, Victoria and Montreal.
But noticeably absent is Canada's biggest city.
An associate editor at the magazine says Toronto shouldn't take it personally. But the omission feels like another slight for a city desperately craving "world-class" status.
"While Toronto has everything, I don't know that it has any one thing that sort of stands up and knocks you out," said Ken Wong, marketing professor at the Queen's University School of Business.
"Toronto's kind of good on everything but great on nothing."
Offering a unique experience is what counts in the travel industry, Wong added.
"It's a little bit like when we're on vacation and we go out to eat and it drives me nuts if my kids order a hot dog because I say, `You can have a hot dog at home. Have something here that you can't get anywhere else.'
"When I think of Toronto, there's nothing that jumps out at me as the uniquely Toronto experience."
Amy Farley, an associate editor at Travel + Leisure, says not to despair. "Toronto not being on the list doesn't mean readers aren't going to Toronto, and it doesn't mean they aren't enjoying their experience in Toronto."
A recent forecast from the Conference Board of Canada bears that out.
Toronto draws the most tourists out of the eight Canadian metropolitan areas that it studies. Overnight visits to the city are expected to reach 10.5 million this year, an increase of 3.7 per cent over 2005. Those visitors will spend nearly $4 billion, up 5.5 per cent from the year before.
"This year Toronto is expected to attract even more domestic pleasure travellers," the report said, noting the draw of new theatre attractions, as well as new exhibits at the Ontario Science Centre and Royal Ontario Museum.
The report blames a projected decline in U.S. visitors on new passport requirements.
Travel + Leisure's annual survey, now in its 11th year, is conducted from Jan. 15 to March 31. Subscribers are asked to fill out an online questionnaire rating cities, hotels, tour operators, airlines, cruise lines and spas.
This year, the survey garnered 500,000 responses.
Cities are evaluated in six categories: sights, culture and arts, restaurants and food, people, shopping, and value.
It was a banner year for Canada, Farley noted. Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island ranked as the top island in the continental U.S. and Canada. Vancouver Island and Prince Edward Island came in at three and four on the list.
The Aerie, an upscale boutique hotel and spa on Vancouver Island, was voted the top hotel in North America.
"I can't say exactly why Toronto didn't place," Farley said. "It really is a wonderful, dynamic city."
Travel + Leisure magazine itself is a big fan, she added, rhyming off the city's attractions with ease. "We keep discovering new facets of the city. There's lots of great neighbourhoods to explore. I know the Queen Street West is really exciting. Great hotels — the Drake is so cool, the Gladstone, the Four Seasons on their home turf, and all of your new condo projects, there's a lot going on," she said.
"Every year we ask readers to evaluate cities afresh. Next year could be Toronto's year."

Well for one, being on the list does not male you World Class. I would not consider any of the Cnadian cities on it world class.

Two, I think they do have a point in that there is no serious one draw here. People come for the culture, the theatre, the sports, the energy of the city but compare that to say a tram ride to the top of Grouse Mtn in West Van at Sunset? Not a chance. You leave here with a good feeling of life but not one of Holy Crap that was something else.

I still believe in TO but we are in that middle city ether. Not NY or London but certainly not Philly or Dallas. We are also a fair bit larger than cities like that so the comparisons will naturally be against the big players.

I can give you dozens of good ideas to visit Toronto and just as many why its not attractive to visit. Also I can do the same for Montreal, Vancouver, Victoria, SF, NY, etc

Toronto has been changing so rapidly over the past few years, and continues to do so. It is exciting and fresh, and the vibe is pretty cool. It won't be long before the word is out, if that matters at all.

It won't be long before the word is out, if that matters at all.
For the purposes of this list, that's the only thing that matters. It's an opinion poll.

Toronto is still in its adolescent stage. Let's see what happens in a few years.

No kidding. The top 10 had cities such as Charleston SC, Santa Fe NM. Los Angeles was not on the list, or were Philadelphia, Boston, Las Vegas, Washington, or other cities that you might think could fit as big tourist draws (and where's Detroit?). How very arbitrary and meaningless.

New York
San Francisco
Chicago
Charleston
Santa Fe
Vancouver
Quebec City
Victoria
Montreal
Seattle

Here is the top 10 World Cities:

Florence
Rome
Bangkok
Sydney
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Cape Town
Buenos Aires
New York
Beirut (!)
San Francisco

More evidence that this list is either arbitrary, or are measuring something we're not getting. It's no measure of world-classiness (where's London? Hong Kong? Tokyo? Paris? What's the deal with Chiang Mai?)

Hey, don't diss Beirut! Everyone I know who's been there has been impressed. Apparently, it's a beautiful city.

And, c'mon, let's not get so worked up about this.

Hey, don't diss Beirut! Everyone I know who's been there has been impressed. Apparently, it's a beautiful city.

I've heard about the wonders of what they've done. At least until Israel started bombing the city again. I'm just pointing out that I don't care about the survey, the lists I posted don't mean that much.

I'll be in Vancouver/Victoria in a couple of weeks. I'll be very curious to see what makes it in the top 10 of North American cities!

Take this list with a grain of salt, its the biased view of a small group of people.

Toronto isn't as young as many people would like to think, and it wasn't a metropolis of millions in 1900. In the scale of cities, Toronto is more historic than Chicago (Chicago being settled in the 1800's, Toronto in the 1700's).

I happen to love Chicago, so that is not a slight towards the city, its just a fact.

Toronto is a world class city in my opinion because:

*Its one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world
*Serves as the largest urban center in business, population, and media for Canada. Any city serving as the hub for one of the best known democracies and respected powers on earth gets bonus points from most any politician, cultural connoisseur, or individual who looks at cities on a map and thinks "yeah, this is an interesting place"
*Has an extremely high amount of cultural celebrations and festivities every year. Just look at what has been hosted here this summer: the largest world AIDS summit ever, one of the largest gay pride events in the world (with a nation that legally backs gay rights on every level, a rarity on earth at this point), from Cabana to the Greek/Italian/Indian/"insert your culture here" festivals that stand out above the average festival in other cities. And these events aren't one time events.
*Toronto has a unique style to it, a central Canadian theme. Its not as big as New York, its not as steeped in history as London (on the scale of world history, New York's history is a joke compared with London in my opinion). But few other cities have Toronto's style, either inside or outside the city. The GTA is a special place.

Its growing so fast and multi-culturally that its really hard to ignore the reality of what Toronto is.

Of course this is my opinion, and some travel editor will place a city with little importance (Santa Fe) above Toronto this year because Santa Fe has the Museum of Whatever. But it doesn't make a world city, and it doesn't make a multi-cultural mosaic.

Quite frankly if someone disagrees with me I could care less. Reality is what it is, and people can judge for themselves.

Great cities

In my opinion, the most important factor in making a great city is the liveliness of the streets, especially, in the heart of the city. For other people it may be the amount of head offices, the architecture, history, museums or culture but if a city's downtown is a dead zone, I have a hard time accepting it as a great city. It also gives the impression that the city might not be safe to walk in. Cities like Chicago and Boston have many things going for them but when you walk around the downtown at night (or even during the day) much of it, is completly dead. In Chicago, restaurants in the loop, downtown, close 6 or 7 pm. I had to go to the suburbs (a strip mall) to find a regular restaurant open. In Boston, on the main shopping strip, I was the only person walking that street at 11pm. I could find no place open to even buy a coke. How can a city be a major, world class city, if they roll up the sidewalks at 5pm.

I have only found 2 cities in North America that had livelier streets then Toronto, whether it's day, or night, and those were New York City and Montreal. Both those cities are full of people, all over the city, at all times and walking the streets is always an interesting experience because you never know what your going to see or experience. Toronto also has people all over the city centre at all hours, and I always discover surprises and interesting people. Actually, Vancouver was pretty lively when I was there in December. London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, Hong Kong and Bangkok have amazing streetlife, just walking the streets is a great adventure.

What good is having great city features if nobody is out enjoying it? I find Americans are so worried about crime, that they make their cities ghost towns after dark.

Back