News   May 13, 2024
 468     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 868     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 696     0 

Tired of MCC? Need urbanity? Better Know a Car Line: 510!

S

spmarshall

I can't believe there are two threads on MCC started this week on City Photos! The last time I checked, Mississauga isn't in the city - it's a suburb. And Cobourg and Kingston? This section needs some urbanity restored. That means it's time for another installment of my 10 part series, Better Know a Car Line. That's right! I deliver the truth! I'm full of it (the truth, that is)!

In this installment, we ride the 510 Spadina. The fightin' 510th!

The Spadina Car is the only car line that runs totally in exclusive rights of way. It passes through the Harbourfront, City Place, the old Fashion District, Chinatown and by U of T, ending as it started, in a short streetcar subway. Let's take a ride. Most of the pics are from today, with a few from late last week.

We start by going northbound, which means we go south through the Bay Street streetcar subway to Queen's Quay.

510NB01.jpg

510NB03.jpg

Spadina1.jpg

Spadina2.jpg

Spadina3.jpg

Spadina4.jpg

510NB09.jpg

Who says the Gardiner is a barrier? I can plainly see a few pedestrians freely walking under the dark, dank "barrier".

510NB11.jpg

Spadina6.jpg

510NB12.jpg

And now, north of the "Barrier", we come into that very urban, human-scale CityPlace.

Spadina7.jpg

510NB15.jpg

510NB16.jpg

510NB17.jpg

510NB18.jpg

And we enter the old Fashion District, home to two of the better condos built in the past 5 years, Morgan and Hudson.

Spadina10.jpg

Spadina11.jpg

Hudson1.jpg

Hudson2.jpg

Spadina13.jpg

Spadina25.jpg

Spadina24.jpg

Spadina23.jpg

Spadina14.jpg

Spadina15.jpg

Spadina16.jpg

Morgan1.jpg

510NB25.jpg

510NB26.jpg

Spadina22.jpg

Spadina20.jpg

Spadina26.jpg

This fugly slab doesn't fit into Spadina at all.

Spadina28.jpg

Spadina29.jpg

Spadina27.jpg

Spadina31.jpg

At Dundas, the crowds are thick, even on a cold Victoria Day, when even Queen West was quieter than usual. Would MCC ever get these crowds, ever? Didn't think so!

Spadina32.jpg

Spadina33.jpg

Spadina34.jpg

Spadina50.jpg

Spadina48.jpg

Spadina36.jpg

Spadina37.jpg

Spadina39.jpg

Spadina40.jpg

Spadina41.jpg

Spadina51.jpg

Spadina46.jpg

Spadina43.jpg

Spadina44.jpg

Spadina52.jpg

College.jpg

Spadina54.jpg

At Spadina Crescent, the street takes on a more subdued, institutional and residential character.

Spadina55.jpg

Spadina56.jpg

Spadina59.jpg

At Harbord, U of T built the Graduate Jail...Whoops, Graduate House. This building must surely attract the best and brightest masters and doctoral students!

Spadina58.jpg

Spadina57.jpg

Gradhouse.jpg

Spadina60.jpg

Spadina62.jpg

Spadina61.jpg

And we wrap up at Spadina Station.

SpadinaStn.jpg

Now let's put the 510 up on the big board!

carline1.jpg

Re: Tired of MCC? Need urbanity? Better Know a Car Line: 510

homer_small.gif
Mmm... urban...

Nicely done!
I like how St. Clair has a cross. Is it dead to you? (I must have missed that episode)

If I recognized that car line that runs east-west north of the Bloor-Danforth subway, it would make this an 11-part series. You bet it's dead to me. Like I said in the 506 Carlton thread, if you can't support your local car line, maybe you don't deserve one (maybe the neighbourhood will smarten up when they have Orion buses instead of streetcars for a while). I'll reconsider once work is finished on the right of way.

Meanwhile, there's still the 502, 503, 505, 508, 509 and 511 to do (I have pics ready for 509 and 511 from today), and probably a few Betterer Know a Car Line segments. Then I'll look at a 155 part series, Better Know a Bus Route.

Great pics!

Can you imagine how drastically better this area would look if there was just some decent streetscaping, nice light standards and the wires were put underground?

Spadina1.jpg

^ It also needs more interesting retail and bigger trees.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing these.

510 has got to be my favorite streetcar line.

Many thanks for posting!

Louroz

"The Spadina Car is the only car line that runs totally in exclusive rights of way"

doesn't the spadina line run on a non ROW for a couple hundred feet from Queens Quay to the where the Gardiner off-ramp intersects Spadina?

great pics!

Thanks for the great pictures. You are doing a great job documenting some of the most interesting parts of the city.
I agree with your comments regarding the Graduate Residence, one of the ugliest buildings in the city, and we'll overlook the snide comments about MCC!

Keep 'em coming!

A truly enjoyable series!

Thanks for the great pictures. You are doing a great job documenting some of the most interesting parts of the city.
I agree with your comments regarding the Graduate Residence, one of the ugliest buildings in the city, and we'll overlook the snide comments about MCC!

Keep 'em coming!

I think the Graduate House is one of the nicer buildings in the city (might be the best of the recent UofT developments). Looks good in that pic!

I'm a Grad House supporter as well!

Good job spmashall!

Add me to the grad house supporters list. And add me to the MCC snide commenters list. 25 years of North York will do that to you.

Great pics spm!

Yup, another Fort Grad supporter here - gotta love the massing of the building, along with the dark and moody exterior. I'd rather have it than 10 Tridels (or Pembertons?)

Hudson is looking mightily fine as well. Looking forward to the Victory going up next door.

AoD

Back