36     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 280     1 

Tipping problem

Member Bio
Reaction score
i think a waitress in a place i regularly eat hates me today i paid by debit card she ask me about tips. the problem is every time i choose to pay tip on the debit thing i always got a message saying the transaction did not go through. but it always go through when i decline to tipping option i explain this to her but i think that did not help what should i do?

(this is near the college i attend part-time)

Yeah, not tipping a waitress is a big faux-pas. They do their best to serve you and get paid next to nothing. Most of their income comes from tips. If you don't tip, it's understandable that they'd get upset.

GraphicMatt's suggestion is a good one. Carry some tip cash to leave at the table and pay your bill with your debit card.

When I waited tables, cash tips were more appreciated than tips added to debit or credit cards. In the latter instance you had to rely on the establishment owners word what the tip take was. Cash tips go into a jar and it's much more straightforward for hardworking and underpaid wait staff.

Cash is getting rarer and rarer, though, particularly amongst younger people. Bad for waiters and bad for the homeless, but it's real nice only having to worry about carrying two cards with you.

while i was researching about tipping in general in toronto, i came across this: "if a server makes $150 on an 8 hour night (I'm just making this up, I know it's often significantly more and sometimes less) ..."

is that true? especially the "often significantly more" part...

Oh yeah. Servers in decent restaurant can haul in $300 or more on a shift. Think about it: if they serve even four tables of four per hour, assuming $100/table, that's $60 an hour in tips at 15%. This isn't counting wages, which are a pittance.

However, from what I understand, some restaurants force servers to share their tips with other staff (bussers, kitchen staff, bartender) or even the restaurant itself.

wow... and about the sharing - still... considering that i'd probably get around 13$/h in my field that's something to think about... not as a full time alternative but in case i don't find any work or on weekends if cash is tight, between projects and so on...

and about the 15% - i read that 20% is the common rate nowadays? => http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/633701

Aren't tips tax free too? If so that's a big benefit if you're a good waitress.

If you're going to the restaurant, just carry some extra cash with you.

I rarely ever tip. I think servers should be paid per hour and not expect tips. I don't tip delivery drivers or taxis either.

If service and food are great, 20%, if terrible, 10%, if average 15%. That's what I follow.

In asia I tip 0% :) I'm seriously going to miss that when I leave here. I still tip a cabbie for a long trip home when I'm drunk because I appreciate what they've done, but half the time they open the window screaming that I forgot my change.

For some reason when I clicked on this thread I was expecting to read about cows...

I rarely ever tip. I think servers should be paid per hour and not expect tips. I don't tip delivery drivers or taxis either.

i think so too but just because it isn't that way i don't think it's fair to punish the ones who can't change the system anyway. besides - i find it pretty risky to mess with the ones who have control over what's in your food...

If service and food are great, 20%, if terrible, 10%, if average 15%. That's what I follow.

and what part of asia? i'm guessing not all of it? ;)

^ wow... how nice of you. Because they should be paid by the hour doesn't put it within the control of the people who serve you. It's not their fault the system is as it is. The reality is they get paid nominal salaries because they're expected to receive tips.

I have a simple system: Good service 15%, Great Service 20-25%, Bad Service: No tip

More specifically...

Waiters:
- Expected level of service: 15%
- Over and above expected level of service: 20-25% and a verbal acknowledgement
- Bad service: No Tip and depending on how bad, either a written note on the bill regarding my displeasure or a word with management.

Pizza delivery:
- On time - $2
- On time in a winter storm - $4 to $5 (I've had pizza guys show up in the middle of blizzards with a smile on their face)

Taxi:
- Comfortable ride, shortest route, effort to avoid traffic using side streets - 15%
- No effort to get me to my destination quickly - No tip (some cab drivers take their time, take main routes even though traffic is expected)

Aren't tips tax free too? If so that's a big benefit if you're a good waitress.

If you're going to the restaurant, just carry some extra cash with you.

Tips are taxable income. Many don't report it, though.

Back