News   May 07, 2024
 577     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 492     1 

Time to ban car advertising?

G

green22

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...GJCDM1.DTL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPEN FORUM
Coming to Terms With Our Obsessions
Time to ban car commercials?
Bob Ecker

Monday, February 6, 2006

Printable Version
Email This Article

Main Opinion Page
Chronicle Sunday Insight
Chronicle Campaigns

SF Chronicle Submissions
Letters to the Editor
Open Forum
Sunday Insight

Social engineering is a concept many Americans naturally abhor, because it attacks our deeply held freedom, and we have always believed in doing virtually anything we want. Free-market capitalists feel this way, and most citizens usually go along for the ride.

But our country's obsessive consumption of oil to fill the tanks of our auto-centric culture may eventually kill off the world, and believe it or not, Mr. and Mrs. America, you and I will go down, too. Our love affair with cars has to change, sooner rather than later. The hubris of excess (see Hummer) has gotten our society into a pickle, and it's time to take a novel approach with this problem.

Let's tamp down the future demand side -- to put it another way, like a diet, we must somehow decrease our appetite. Cars are wonderful machines, I'll freely admit, and powerful tools that help us maintain our modern lives. But this obsession has gotten way out of control and threatens the very air we breathe, the earth beneath our feet, our overflowing landfills and even the worldwide political landscape. If every American drove less, kept the same car longer or thought about cars as a well-being issue, then perhaps we can yet avert catastrophe.

I suggest looking at a successful model from our past that effectively tackled a serious societal problem. This drastic transformation eventually brought about positive social change, despite the bleating of mega-corporations. I am referring to the tobacco industry and its cigarette advertising on TV and radio. Until 1970, U.S. consumers were bombarded by advertisements in all forms of mass media, including the most popular, television. People knew that something had to change and lobbied the government hard.

Congress finally passed a law, heavily fought by the tobacco and broadcasting industries as well as the Nixon administration. Nonetheless, the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act of 1969 was signed into law by President Richard Nixon, on April 1, 1970. It ended cigarette ads on TV and radio forever. When the last cigarette commercial ran during Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" (an ad for Virginia Slims) at 11:59 p.m., Jan. 1, 1971, roughly 44 percent of American men and 31 percent of American women smoked cigarettes, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Today, the CDC estimates that those numbers have dropped to 23.7 percent for men and 18.5 percent for women, respectively. The Tobacco Outlook Report (written in 2005 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture) calculated that Americans 18 years and older smoked 4,287 cigarettes per capita in 1966 (the highest level in U.S. history) before the ad ban was enacted. The latest figures from 2004 estimate that number at 1,791 per capita.

Many factors, of course have driven the numbers of U.S. smokers down, but clearly the omission of smoking ads from the airways made a large difference. The ban has become a positive development for our country, managing to change the behavior of many Americans.

I propose creating a similar ban on all automobile-related television and radio advertising in the United States. I am asking Congress to take the lead in helping to wean Americans, particularly the younger generations, off the fixations that glamorize cars. Getting rid of the TV ads will mitigate the lusting after cars and the constant purported need to purchase a new one every few years.

"Ram Tough -- I've heard enough!" Most older cars work just fine, and do not need constant replacement. Our landfills alone can't handle the millions of pounds of auto junk poured into our earth. Our continual quest for more and more oil causes problems around the world, for both humans and the environment. I drive a car and am happy to do so, but I recognize that people do not need two, three, or four cars per person. We don't have the room, resources or enough ozone to support this type of mindless consumption ad infinitum.

A shift is in order. I am not suggesting that cars be made illegal, or tire shops raided. New and used car dealerships, gas stations, repair and painting facilities, oil changers, tune-up shops and the like will still be needed. I'm only suggesting that we start to alter the emotional as well as economic landscape before it's too late.

Sure, the auto industry won't like this proposal one bit, and neither will politicians raising big bucks from oil and auto-manufacturing lobbyists, but upon reflection, the auto industry might come around. It won't have to spend billions of dollars on producing and airing expensive television ads that compete with each other.

If the world begins to think of cars as, for instance, washing machines, then we may be on to something. Washing machines are mighty useful, but aren't lusted after. We don't have Maytag commercials hitting us over the head every time we turn on the TV, or listen to the radio. We don't need to see them sliding over slick roads in super slow motion. Washing machines are important tools that work well and help us in our daily lives, just like cars.

Though difficult, this type of change is within our power, just as brave politicians and consumer groups in the late 1960s were eventually able to pass regulations banning broadcast smoking ads. My suggestion may be a small step, but it's truly time to think big, reclaim the airwaves and make a positive difference that will affect future generations -- for the better.

Bob Ecker, a writer who lives in Napa, is president of Bay Area Travel Writers.

--------------------------------

Worst thing is that with all the billions of dollars in extortion money that Ontario the Federal governments Provinces/States give to the car manufacturers, our tax dollars are paying for these commercials.

Let's ban all advertising while we're at it. :rolleyes

I don't think that banning car advertising would change anything. People choose to buy a car, any car, in the first place because they live in a built form that makes cars a necessity. That decision is made independantly of advertising., and flashy ad campaigns simply affect which car you buy.

Smoking is different because there is no need to start in the first place. Address the need (actual and perceived) to purchase a car instead.

You might have a point that land regulations etc have a much bigger effect, but don't underestimate the power of advertising. Auto companies are not stupid, and they are not the biggest funders of tv networks (I mean advertising) for nothing. Another thing they excell in is lobbying and donating to campaigns. It is always interesting to hear people against campaign finance reform say that politicians are not influenced by lobbying and/or funding. If that were true, share holders would revolt every time Exxon-Mobil or Walmart wanted to give another million to the Republican party. After all it has no effect, right?
Advertising-lobbying-donating are used by the most successful companies to become more successful because they are effective tools to get what they want. If something is overused and bad for the planet, in an ideal world one would expect governments to stop subsidizing it, and blasting constant messages to buy it from the public airwaves. Do we live in that world?

Media are dependent on advertising revenue
At the time cigarette companies were banned from advertising in the US they coincidentally branched out into other things. For example, the biggest cigarette manufacturer, Phillip Morris, bought Kraft and other companies. The reason unearthed in the Wall street journal was that PM needed to maintain its presence in US media (advertising) otherwise it would an easy target for the media, no longer dependent on cigarette dollars. Other cigarette manufacturers bought products which they could flog on television as well.

It is a fact that media (radio, tv, newspapers +) will think twice about criticizing their sponsors and they know very well that Kraft is owned by Phillip Morris (it says so on the advertising contract, but not on your bag of cookies). They are also well aware that vehicle manufacturers pay the bills.

Media lense:
Media create the prism for how issues are looked at, and having car users pay the costs of their pollution or the costs of roads and parking are typically looked at unfavourably (or not looked at at all) in the media. The solutions in the media to drinking and driving are to stop drinking or get a designated (nondrinking) driver. Money given to auto companies is looked upon favorably in the media, while welfare is negative. Welfare recipients don't pay the bills. Point: advertising is a big part of the problem.

The problem? If someone wants to buy a car, how is that a "problem"? Just because you don't want one doesn't mean other people shouldn't want one.

'The problem? If someone wants to buy a car, how is that a "problem"? Just because you don't want one doesn't mean other people shouldn't want one.'

I probably shouldn't respond to such an obvious question, but here we go again.. (skip below if you are already aware of arguments against car use subsidization)

Even the least environmental man in the world (unnamed Texas oil man) has admitted that oil dependency is a problem (although his 'solutions' only further our dependence) The person who buys the car (or multiple cars, SUV's etc) is not paying the costs of disposal, is not paying the environmental costs, is not paying the cost of foreign wars to secure oil, is not paying to subsidize oil, is not paying for the full costs of building & maintaining roads or parking, is not paying the property taxes for the road infrastructure which can take up to a third of valuable city land. They are certainly not paying the medical costs or the policing costs (thousands of deaths a years and 100 x more accidents, good part of police budget is auto related)

As a pedestrian or cyclist you pay the costs of excessive road use both in terms of deaths, accidents and the air you are forced to breathe (as everyone else). Excessive car use and government regualations relating to parking requirements mean that stores and job sites built since parking requirements have been enacted (the 50's) are surrounded by parking lots and need to be situated in locations large enough to provide it (generally not convenient walking distance). Therefore excessive car use means communities designed to make walking and cycling/ transit hostile. Those who can't afford a car live 2nd class lives. More cars = more traffic & pollution = more voters who want cars subsidized= more 'economic corridors' subsidies etc..

Gas tax (CTF & CAA) myths
The gas tax doesn't even pay for road construction and maintenance in Canada (which is only one portion of the costs of driving) and even less in the US. It does serve a purpose, it gives people the illusion that they are paying the costs of automobile use and thanks to politicians (and the media) they now think that they are subsidizing transit.
This only works when you shift piles of money around in order to make this appear true. Money for roads actually comes out of general revenue from various jurisdictions and is not dependent on the gas tax in the least. The best you could say is that it indirectly pays part of the costs, but often not to the jurisdictions which pay the costs.

'The problem?
the problem is the damages caused to all sectors of society and the fact that we all pay for the costs of each vehicle purchase through taxes, the 20 % extra cost of our condo (parking requirements) higher price of stores (parking requirements), the streets we travel and cross (where legal), locations we can't access (sprawl), air we shouldn't breathe, water we can't swim in (runoff/salt) and the benefits of climate change which will effect more than just humans. I'm sure I could add a couple of more things non-car users will pay for but I'm sure you've heard it before.

What are you suggesting? That people stop buying cars?

I sold my car two months ago, but will probably end up buying another one (if I do buy one, it will be a really cheap used car as I wouldn't use it much during the week). Even living right downtown I often wish I still had a car. They offer a degree of freedom that public transit can never acheive. I'd probably only drive 500-600km a month, but at least it would be there if I needed it.

I'm all for alternative transporation as well (I better be, I'm relying on it exclusively now), but to suggest that they don't give an individual a degree of freedom is to turn a blind eye.

"Those who can't afford a car live 2nd class lives."

You said it yourself. Yet you seem to not want people to buy cars.

You are missing the point. The article is NOT about getting people to stop buying cars. It's about getting off the air ads that convince people that they need to replace their cars every three years.

The banning of advertising cars wouldn't prevent one from doing research and buying a car when they really need one. It would simply remove the false motivations to buy a car and would lead to more people getting the car they need leading to greater efficiency and lower prices. The perceived need to have and SUV or minivan when one has a child, especially when dealing with only one, is steered by societal norms steered by advertising. When one paints success and freedom as owning a car then that fuels a demand that is not based on need. I think drug ads should be banned as well and drugs should be promoted by research published in medical journals and through medical conventions... the general public should not be asking their doctor if they can take a drug... they should be telling their doctor what is wrong, get tested or dianosed, and those facts should lead to the prescription. In some areas I really do believe that advertising does more harm than good... it is a light form of mind control. Cigarette ads have been banned but it doesn't prevent someone from buying a pack of smokes, perhaps it is time to ban ads for other less desirable products. Even a ban on advertising non-hybird vehicles would have an impact on streering the public.

Ban food advertising as some people may over-eat. That's unhealthy.

^ Snark all you like, but this kind of thing is not a joke - calls for these sorts of controls will only become more assertive from now on, and rightfully so. The massive collective corpus of advertising in our culture is indeed "a light form of mind control", as Enviro puts it (though it ain't actually so "light", imo). Most of us smugly (and frighteningly) declare ourselves to be immune to the effects of the incessant and virtually inescapable contemporary multimedia bombardment of consumerist propaganda, but even the most savvy of us simply are not. The cumulative effect is tremendous - there's an excellent reason that gazillions of $ are poured into advertising: it works. VERY well.

Similar...

-----------------------------------------------------------

"A special tax on junk food needed in the fight against obesity: sociologist"

21/02/2006

healthandfitness.sympatic...t=&abc=abc

MONTREAL (CP) - It may take a special tax to help fight what one Canadian sociologist calls the "obesogenic food environment" - the junk food that's prominently displayed in supermarkets and schools.

Anthony Winson of the University of Guelph said high-sugar and high-fat products are "aggressively promoted" every week in grocery stores.

"You can have maybe 20 special displays in a supermarket that are around every corner promoting types of high-sugar, high-fat products, whether they be candy bars or soft drinks," Winson said in an interview.

He said the displays are advantageous for retailers because they bring in extra revenue.

"If you look at the trade magazines of the industry, they claim that high-sugar, high-fat products are typically among the most lucrative in the supermarket . . . they get the highest returns," Winson said at a recent food conference sponsored by the McGill Institute for the Study of Canada.

"And the corporations that are promoting these products are extremely powerful in the food system."

Winson defines the "obesogenic food environment" as the penetration of supermarkets and schools with junk food.

He suggested a tax on low-nutrition food products might help "because the price for society in the long run is going to be extremely high."

"A lot of this is nothing new. We've done it with tobacco. We can do it with junk foods and low nutrition foods," Winson said.

He suggested the tax revenues could be put into promoting healthy eating.

Nick Jennery, president of the Canadian Council of Grocery Distributors, defended the promotions and said supermarkets are not in the health-regulation business.

"We're in the business of giving consumers choice, and if you walk into pretty much any grocery store, you will see a lot of choice, whether it's low fat or low sugar or fresh product," Jennery said.

He said there is more fresh product on the floors of supermarkets than there has ever been "in the entire Canadian grocery history."

"We are not going to tell consumers what they should and should not eat," Jennery said.

"It's the consumer who has to make choices, not the grocery store," he said.

Winson said he conducted a survey of supermarkets in the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph area of southwestern Ontario.

He said the survey found that "something in the range of 30 per cent of shelf space ... is devoted to high-fat, high-sugar products."

"The latest innovation of supermarkets are massive displays of ice-cream products, both high sugar and high fat," Winson added.

Mary Bush, head of Health Canada's Office of Nutrition Policy and Promotion, was non-committal when asked if the federal government should intervene and adopt legislation - especially when it comes to junk food advertising aimed at children.

"I think we need to understand better the issue.

"One doesn't take those kinds of measures until you have a good understanding of what the issue is and it's influence," Bush said.

Winson also complained about vending machines in schools.

He pointed out that high schools get much-needed revenues from junk food and he blames governments for putting them in that position.

I guess, ban gasoline advertising as well.

Too bad. Hate to see Boston lose this...
1040_1.jpg

It may take a special tax to help fight what one Canadian sociologist calls the "obesogenic food environment" - the junk food that's prominently displayed in supermarkets and schools.

The sociologist in question has not suggested a ban, but a tax. Cigarettes are taxed, but it is doubtful that taxation alone reduced rates of smoking; public education did more for that. One can assume that the same can happen with junk food. But just as with smoking, some people will choose to do what may be dangerous to them with respect to poor eating choices.

The same sociologist should have consulted the marketing department at the university in order to discover that the best shelf space is often purchased shelf space.

The massive collective corpus of advertising in our culture is indeed "a light form of mind control"

Not a very successful covert form since everyone has been repeating this idea (advertising is mind control) since the 1950's or so. Ask yourself, is your mind being controlled by advertising, or are you controlling your own mind? It is easy to blame others for one's poor choices, it is much tougher to take responsibility for one's own actions.

it is doubtful that taxation alone reduced rates of smoking; public education did more for that. .

(Advertising is) Not a very successful covert form since everyone has been repeating this idea (advertising is mind control) since the 1950's or so..

If I had to place my bets on the success of public education versus advertising, I think I know which one I would choose. The government was smart enough to turn off the cigarette advertising machine before any drops occurred. Can a million dollar government education campaigns compete with billion dollar advertising budgets.
Would the Ontario, Alberta and the US governments even run effective adds against the auto industry when they want it to succeed. US jurisdictions transferred anti-smoking money into support for tobbacco farmers and most jurisdictions avoided tv adds that were shown to have actually decrease smoking.

I would be interested to see a study (not funded by a tobacco company) that shows that public eductation campaigns had larger effects than eliminating advertising, increasing taxes and regulating cigarettes out of more and more locations. I don't think vehicle manufacturers or any other polluters are shaking in their boots that another "one ton challenge" or "protect nature' campaign is coming.

That said there is some value to indoctrinating the children to be environmentalists when their young, but it's tough to work against the continual barrage of the media. Zoom, zoom, zoom..

Back