News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Thesis

Well, first off since you didn't know some places I'd assume most people from here would've at least heard of, I'd familiarize yourself with some people that know the city very well. The Jane's Walks happen every year and depending on who's guiding, they've got lots of cool info (although they won't happen again 'til spring). Also, the Eye and Spacing columnist, Shawn Micallef, writes pieces on psychogeography (a word that kind of makes me ill, but what he writes about is very interesting). I'm sure there are even better sources out there, but those were the things that popped into my head. I'd even suggest trying to contact Shawn or someone from Jane's Walk (really more like contacting someone through Jane's Walk) for assistance getting to know Toronto a whole lot better so you can include lots of stuff, 'cause there is plenty out there, but I'd agree with JN that we do seem to suck at showing it off.

That being said, there are plaques out there that will teach you things you never knew (at least they did for me). For instance, outside city hall (on the path on the west end) there's a plaque outlining how chinatown used to exist where city hall currently is. I remember the first time I saw that, it blew my mind.

I will say this about people mentioning Flemingdon, Thorncliffe, et al. these are neighbourhoods that deserve better than to be cliches, but I'm not sure how you sell them as a tourist thing, without playing on negative stereotypes that would disappoint anyway. On the other hand the redevelopment of Regent Park might work better or I think you could find a hook for Jamestown (I once read it was the densest neighbourhood in NA, which I could never believe, but I guess it all depends on where you draw your borders) and parkdale has lots of stuff to do (this would be my concern about drawing newcomers and visitors to primarily residential neighbourhoods. What would really be the point for them?) and is close to lots of other places, and has a bizarro history.

Kensington and west-end modern chinatown really deserve more play for newcomers and visitors though. A pedestrian sunday in kensington, not only then but especially in that case, should be way ahead of Queen W or Front St or Yonge St. (ewww, especially Yonge St.) as something to come and check out when you're here. I think when we've had visitors in town who've never been here before, Kensington's the place I'm most eager to show them (especially 'cause they'll find the tower, the ROM, the AGO, etc... all on their own), but obviously different strokes for different folks.

I would say that you should take people for a walk in Regent Park and then tell them this is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Toronto. I think a lot of people will be impressed.

Thank you so much for the information dt_toronto_gook, this helped me alot. I will definitely check his book.

Thanks Observer Walt, I think my best option is to interview people and aks them to tell me about their favourite place in Toronto and then design a map and book together. I will go and check these places that you told me for sure. Thanks again for sharing your information with me.

Thank you very much Saturnine for your helpful comment. I'm taking graphic design at Ontario Collage of Art and Design and doing my thesis this year. I really wanted to design something about Toronto and the information you gave me was awesome. Really appreciate it.

Thanks archanfel for your comment, yeah I'm thinking to interview people and ask them if you were asked where I can see Raw or Authentic Toronto what one place would you recommend?

Back