News   Jul 15, 2024
 660     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 812     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 616     0 

The Weather

Vancouver winters are mild, i spent a winter out there. My sister was planting flowers in her garden while Toronto was getting a winter storm. Vancouver does get lot of cloudy, drizzle, damp, dreary, depressing weather during the winter months. I will take clodest day of the year in Toronto over that crap. I can't handle damp weather.

I lived in Northern Ontario for a lot of years. You know what they say about it being a dry cold? Well, I'd take all that snow and dry cold over a damp Toronto winter any year :) It's all relative. I despise Toronto winters.

I lived in Northern Ontario for a lot of years. You know what they say about it being a dry cold? Well, I'd take all that snow and dry cold over a damp Toronto winter any year :) It's all relative. I despise Toronto winters.
It wasn’t the snow and cold of Fredericton winters that drove me back to Toronto, but the length of the Atlantic Canadian winters. It would start snowing in November and still be snowing in April.

It wasn’t the snow and cold of Fredericton winters that drove me back to Toronto, but the length of the Atlantic Canadian winters. It would start snowing in November and still be snowing in April.
You don't have to go to Atlantic Canada for that. Try Barrie. Snow starts late October (though usually only morning dustings), doesn't end until mid to late April. That's an hour away.

The lake does a lot to moderate Toronto's temperatures, eliminating that. Toronto only really experiences 3 months of "real" winter because of it -not to far from here it's more like 5 months.

The lake does a lot to moderate Toronto's temperatures, eliminating that. Toronto only really experiences 3 months of "real" winter because of it -not to far from here it's more like 5 months.
True. But come on! It's closing on mid-March and there's still piles of snow and freezing temps.

I consider Toronto's "real winter" to last from Mid December to Mid March.. So we are in the last week or so of it. The weather this week was extremely below seasonal too - the average high right now is +2, while the high the last two days was -9.

I consider Toronto's "real winter" to last from Mid December to Mid March.. So we are in the last week or so of it. The weather this week was extremely below seasonal too - the average high right now is +2, while the high the last two days was -9.

Our sun's angle and heat will be the same on March 20, 2019 (and 2018) as it would be on September 23, 2018 (and 2019). So try to remember the "heat" in September.

Polar vortex may bring record-breaking cold weather to Toronto

May 4 2020, 6:24 am

“The polar vortex has remained in exceptional form over the past few months, and as you’re reading this, the core of the polar vortex (tropopause) is streaking across Nunavut, roughly 4,000 kilometres away,” stated The Weather Network.

Meteorologist Tyler Hamilton said there is potential for record-breaking cold this week.

The week’s forecast shows snow and rain on Friday, with a high of 5°C, but may feel more like 0°C.

The record cold May high for Toronto is 4.4°C, and was set in 1976.

Polar vortex may bring record-breaking cold weather to Toronto

May 4 2020, 6:24 am

“The polar vortex has remained in exceptional form over the past few months, and as you’re reading this, the core of the polar vortex (tropopause) is streaking across Nunavut, roughly 4,000 kilometres away,” stated The Weather Network.

Meteorologist Tyler Hamilton said there is potential for record-breaking cold this week.

The week’s forecast shows snow and rain on Friday, with a high of 5°C, but may feel more like 0°C.

The record cold May high for Toronto is 4.4°C, and was set in 1976.

Hopefully not that cold, it could damage many budding leaves/flowers.

The real issue is 'freezing'.

Temps under 4 degrees can be an issue.

Depends on winds/moisture levels and duration.

Hopefully not that cold, it could damage many budding leaves/flowers.

The real issue is 'freezing'.

Temps under 4 degrees can be an issue.

Depends on winds/moisture levels and duration.

Although there's no science to it, when it came to backyard vegetable gardening, my mother always stood by the general adage of waiting until after Victoria Day to begin doing so.

Based on some 14-day trend weather forecasts, we hover around 5-12 degrees during the day from now until next Wednesday. Night time lows may dip below zero. We only start to hit the mid-teen temperatures consistently again next Thursday and onwards.

Back