News   Jul 15, 2024
 140     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 383     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 538     0 

The Weather

It was a snow squall off of Lake Ontario due to easterly winds. It only affected the western end of Lake Ontario.

This was taken 2 weeks ago. My flowers that i bought in the spring were still blooming! We haven't had any real cold spells to kill them off. Christmas Eve i was on my patio in a light jacket grilling meat on the BBQ. It felt just like Thanksgiving weather.

5dow3l.jpg

But it looks like the fun in the sun is going to come to an end. :( Ah well. We had a damn good run.

Winter storm watch issued for Toronto, parts of GTA http://www.680news.com/2015/12/27/winter-storm-warning-issued-for-toronto-parts-of-gta/

Environment Canada has issued a winter storm warning for Toronto, as well as Halton, Peel, York, and Durham regions.

The storm is expected to move through the areas beginning on Monday night and continue into Tuesday.

About 10-to-15 cm of snow and ice pellet accumulation is expected, and gusty winds should create blowing snow and dangerous driving conditions.

That precipitation is expected to change to freezing rain early on Tuesday, before continuing as rain or drizzle.

Wind gusts from the east clocking about 70 km/h are expected Monday night.

I guess this is what late fall/winter weather is like in B.C. each year. I wish this was more common here, though I do also enjoy blistering cold, snowy weather.

I was walking on Christmas Eve in a local park and I could hear dozens of birds chirping in a cedar hedge. It felt like they had just flown back from down south and spring was underway.

On Christmas day my neighbours were outside in t-shirts, tossing a football. Such a strange thing to see this time of year.

We've had Christmases without snow on the ground, but generally the grass is brown. It's unbelievable how green it still is. I've never see anything like this in Toronto this late in the year.

We're getting the white stuff right now but my weather app is telling me it's warming up above 0-deg C by midnight and rain will commence, meaning a lot of the white stuff will likely be washed away tomorrow.

We're getting the white stuff right now but my weather app is telling me it's warming up above 0-deg C by midnight and rain will commence, meaning a lot of the white stuff will likely be washed away tomorrow.

Freezing rain overnight.

I like the white fluffy stuff but so far, it's anything but. I'm hoping there's no freezing rain!

Heaven help us all!! Frozen crystals of dihydrogen monoxide has been reported falling and accumulating around the Greater Toronto Area!

From this link:

Dihydrogen monoxide:
  • is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
  • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

:)

Today is the coldest Toronto has been since January 16th, 1994 according to Environment Canada. It hit -31 that day.

With the relatively mild weather we've been having lately, would everyone boldly say that the toughest part of this winter is behind us?

I think I shovelled a total of 5 times all winter. I see grass everywhere again and rain in the near term forecast. Am I premature to be already thinking about spring time? :cool:

Back