News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 712     0 

The Upper Beach(es)

Having just discovered this thread, I'd like to add a few corrections and facts.
I grew up on Donlands Ave. near Sammon, 70 tears ago.
-It was then in the Township of East York.
-Plenty of sand under the surface in my neighbourhood because it was once part of an ancient lake.
-There was no such thing as "Upper-Beaches."
-This end of Toronto was referred to as: the Beaches, east Toronto and East York
-We often went to the Beaches for swimming and picnics.
-It was (and is) the area along Queen St. from Woodbine to the water filtration plant.
-I don't believe East York ever extended south to the location of the Woodbine subway station, so EY never had a subway.
And, by the way, the Thorncliffe area was in Leaside before Leaside and East York were combined.

I'd certainly appreciate any corrections regarding these long-term memories.

I don't think even the most audacious developer or realtor today would call Donlands at Sammon the "upper Beaches" (although it is always worth a chuckle how often that term is used/abused). It is, as you say, near the heart of Old East York.

You are correct that none of the subway stations were in East York. Woodbine Station was the closest, as the old boundary dipped south at Woodbine from north of Milverton to north of Strathmore, before nudging north again east of Gledhill.

I don't think even the most audacious developer or realtor today would call Donlands at Sammon the "upper Beaches" (although it is always worth a chuckle how often that term is used/abused). It is, as you say, near the heart of Old East York.

I've seen real estate listings around Greenwood/Cosburn label the area "The Danforth." Not as egregious as the Upper Beaches, of course, but still a stretch.

Last edited:
I love this historical stuff. So thanks Goldie. I did not know about an ancient lake in this area but I think there was one in the gully west of Greenwood, north of Queen and south of the TTC yards. Friends who live(d) in the area have had constant basement flooding during heavy rains.

I haven't slogged through this whole thread but to me, the "Upper Beaches" ( a real estate agent's term if ever there was one), bounded by Kingston Road to Vic Park to Queen, i.e. north of Queen.
Then it might have been extended to encompass Kingston-Woodbine-Gerrard-Vic Park. More than that is laughable.

As for the area flanking Main north of Kingston Road, it's Old Norway to me.

Finally, just a note regarding the sandy soil near where Goldie grew up, I read a history of Don Mills Road some time ago -- I have to dig it up -- which mentioned how the students at the old Chester School (now the Estonian House) used to play war in the sand dunes north of the school, where those three highrises now stand. Could that ancient lake been that big?

Having just discovered this thread, I'd like to add a few corrections and facts.
I grew up on Donlands Ave. near Sammon, 70 tears ago.
-It was then in the Township of East York.
-Plenty of sand under the surface in my neighbourhood because it was once part of an ancient lake.
-There was no such thing as "Upper-Beaches."
-This end of Toronto was referred to as: the Beaches, east Toronto and East York
-We often went to the Beaches for swimming and picnics.
-It was (and is) the area along Queen St. from Woodbine to the water filtration plant.
-I don't believe East York ever extended south to the location of the Woodbine subway station, so EY never had a subway.
And, by the way, the Thorncliffe area was in Leaside before Leaside and East York were combined.

Hi Goldie, I lived in that hood in the 80s.

Quick question:

Do you remember the East York Shoe Repair on Sammon at Marlow? When did it open?
What store was next door and immediately cross the street?
Also, did Aldwych Park exist or did Dewhurst go straight through what is now the parkette?

I did not know about an ancient lake in this area but I think there was one in the gully west of Greenwood, north of Queen and south of the TTC yards. Friends who live(d) in the area have had constant basement flooding during heavy rains.

Finally, just a note regarding the sandy soil near where Goldie grew up, I read a history of Don Mills Road some time ago -- I have to dig it up -- which mentioned how the students at the old Chester School (now the Estonian House) used to play war in the sand dunes north of the school, where those three highrises now stand. Could that ancient lake been that big?

I used the term "ancient lake" in reference to the original shoreline of Lake Ontario. It once reached into the neighbourhood of East York and environs..
I was told in public school that the sand in EY was because of the once-extended Lake Ontario --- probably thousands of years ago --- any local geologist would have an accurate explanation.

Hi Goldie, I lived in that hood in the 80s.

Quick question:

Do you remember the East York Shoe Repair on Sammon at Marlow? When did it open?
What store was next door and immediately cross the street?
Also, did Aldwych Park exist or did Dewhurst go straight through what is now the parkette?

I certainly remember that shoe repair shop (here's a recent photo - it has been closed and deserted for years).
I don't know when it opened, but 75 years ago we kids would go there for the comic-book-exchange --- a wonderful feature of the store.
We would get one free used comic book in exchange for two. That store should be designated as an "Historic Site!'
I don't think there was any store "next door." Only a residence.
Our local "variety" store (Barkey's) where we bought our "one cent candy" was one block further east -- now a residence (attached photo of that too).
The "park" was only a vacant lot during my time. No extension of Dewhurst.

East York Shoe Repair 2016.jpg

Formerly Barkey Variety - Sammon Ave.

once Barkey's variety store Sammon Ave. 2016.jpg

Attachments

• East York Shoe Repair 2016.jpg
    East York Shoe Repair 2016.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 728
  • once Barkey's variety store Sammon Ave. 2016.jpg
    once Barkey's variety store Sammon Ave. 2016.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 765
Since Aldwych Ave. was mentioned (above by mjl08), this "Then & Now" may be of interest.
P.S. I didn't shoot the 1919 image!

THEN AND NOW ---------- 1919 & 2013
TN Aldwych E. from Woodycrest c.1919.jpg

Attachments

• TN Aldwych E. from Woodycrest c.1919.jpg
    TN Aldwych E. from Woodycrest c.1919.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 723

hi Goldie

I read in the 'Leaside' book that the Thorncliffe Park area was annexed to the town of Leaside in 1954. So Thorncliffe Park was part of York township to 1924, then East York, then Leaside, then back in East York in 1967 when they were combined.

Also the entrance gates which once said Thorncliffe Park but were changed to East York Centre have been changed back to Thorncliffe Park.

Plan for new entertainment hubs welcomed in Beach Hill community

Residents' group likes city's idea to create venues outside downtown, make Gerrard-Woodbine a 'more vibrant neighbourhood'

Nov 5, 2021

Toronto wants to encourage the creation of entertainment hubs across the city and it seems the idea will get a good reception by residents in the Gerrard-Woodbine neighbourhood.

“I would say Beach Hill, or Gerrard-Woodbine, would welcome that kind of growth with open arms,” said Marietta Fox, co-chair of the Beach Hill Neighbourhood Association (BHNA), in an interview.

Gerrard-Woodbine is one of 21 sites pinpointed by the city’s Economic Development and Culture division where current zoning would allow entertainment venues.

With entertainment venues in Toronto’s downtown core in decline, ED&C wants to pick up the slack by establishing new venues in neighbourhoods that reach from Long Branch in Etobicoke to the Scarborough Town Centre area.

---------

‘Positive turn’ for neighbourhood

“I think if that was brought to the public’s attention there would be some concerns,” Fox said. “That certainly would be good for the public to know about. I think it needs to be looked at really clearly.”

She questions that maybe the code is prohibitory to begin with. “Maybe it has been a hurdle for business owners or prospective venue owners to open something.”

Overall, she says that if Gerrard-Woodbine becomes an entertainment hub it would be a positive turn for the neighbourhood. “We’re always looking for more ways to generate more businesses in the area.”

Her association has been doing what it can to bring an identity and vibrancy to the neighbourhood. It used to be very active in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s with even its own movie theatre, says Fox.

The BHNA has worked to get new trees planted, benches installed and signage for businesses. It’s carried out street cleanups, supported the local farmers market and held community get-togethers before COVID.

The association has also become a spokesman for local business since the area is too small to have its own BIA.

“Businesses need to stay and they need to have a big say in decisions made around public art,” says Fox. “I can speak for myself and our desire to have a more vibrant neighbourhood that includes everything.”

Looks like the single property at the 955 Kingston Road address (a few blocks west of Victoria Park) are planning to add on a couple more floors up top:

955 KINGSTON RD
Ward 19: Beaches-East York

To alter the existing mixed-use building by constructing a rear basement addition with walkout; a rear ground-floor addition; a rear second-storey addition; a new complete third-storey addition with a new deck at the front and rear; and a new complete fourth-storey addition with a new deck at the front and rear.

kings.JPG

I seem to recall a mid-size supermarket in the 80s, maybe an IGA, along the Kingston Road stretch by Victoria Park? Anyone remember the name?

I seem to recall a mid-size supermarket in the 80s, maybe an IGA, along the Kingston Road stretch by Victoria Park? Anyone remember the name?

Kingston & VP used to have a Valu-Mart as I recall, before Loblaws opened up near Gerrard/VP (Musgrave)

There were also 2 outposts of a local independent mini-supermarket called Azzarello's one just west of Main, and another about mid-way between Main and VP.

Last edited:
Proposal for an additional floor on 710 Kingston Road, around one block east of Main Street:

710 KINGSTON RD
Ward 19: Beaches-East York

Proposed Interior renovation and additions of a third floor and second fire stair.

710k.JPG

Last edited:

Back