News   Jul 15, 2024
 549     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

The TTC Metropass, 2008 Edition

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
I just got mine in the mail today.. and I gotta give credit where it's due, it's the best looking Metropass to date. Though the font for "January 2008" is still hideous, the rest of it actually isn't bad.

n122602698_34580737_3724.jpg

...of course I'm speaking relatively, it could still look a lot better, but compared to the status quo, it's a big improvement.

Yes, finally. Some time ago, I designed a metropass with familiar Toronto scenes with transit in it and sent it off to Giambrone. I told him that the current colour and printing process used supports photos and it would look so much better. I got a generic response from his secretary and that was that.

Leap forward about a year and I'm cancelling my Metropass because with bunching and delays, I end up walking everywhere anyway. Now this comes out.

Clap clap clap... welcome to 2008.

I've never minded the Metropass design, but I agree, this one looks good. The signing part is for the CRA tax credit, it's still transferable.

I figure the month font changes month to month to make it less predictable.

New pass looks pretty decent! I hope they pick some good pictures for it. Maybe even historic scenes of the TTC.

My guess is that you have to sign it so that ten different people don't try to claim the same pass on their tax returns.

TTC Metropasses...

298-BCC and all: Does anyone collect expired rail passes or tickets here? I do myself and I would like to obtain some to add to my collection. I have NYC and Philadelphia passes to trade. If so please PM me.

I definitely like the suggestion to use Toronto scenes and better yet TTC or other transit vehicles on passes-that will only make them more collectible.
As for the pass pictured BCC is correct-just put JANUARY 2008 in helvetica lettering across the bottom. I do not like the "08" date-NY MTA uses it on commuter rail passes for the LIRR and MNCR also-the 4-digit year just looks better. LI MIKE

I don't know. While the new pass may look more 'modern' or 'contemporary' when compared with other cities' passes, I liked the random nature of last years cards. Putting pictures on Metropasses is just another way for the TTC to screw the proverbial pooch since I'm sure they won't put any thought into it and the end product will just look corny and cheap; much like their on-car ads and website, to name a few other examples. I believe that the simple nature of the old pass made it easier for the TTC to produce an aesthetically pleasing product. I think I would have more confidence in the new design if I had confidence in anything of aesthetic value which the TTC creates.

If you still have doubts or feel that the new passes will propel us into this century, just have a long, hard look at any of the 'littering' or 'security' ads which the Comission has gingerly placed in nearly all vehicles. Terrible, no? Or, for an easier way of seeing how not to do things, just have a look at their site - simply put, it's a disaster.

I'm curious why you blurred out the pass number on the picture.
I always assumed that was just a random number, probably related to the number of passes produced. It changes every month on the pass mailed to me.
Is there more to it than I realize?

On the topic of ads, has anyone noticed the weird scenery on the new TTC Special Constable ad? It has two constables walking through a subway car. If you look out the windows, there is clearly a surface street scape visible with stores, cars, pedestrians etc.!

On the topic of ads, has anyone noticed the weird scenery on the new TTC Special Constable ad? It has two constables walking through a subway car. If you look out the windows, there is clearly a surface street scape visible with stores, cars, pedestrians etc.!

It's Yonge at Merton (just south of Davisville--you can see the Ethan Allen on the NE corner).

Been on vacation a while now, but I'm pretty sure at that point of the trip you're staring at a concrete wall...

Back