News   Jul 31, 2024
 770     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 712     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 528     0 

The Toronto Star now wants an extra 50 cents for their STARWEEK TV guide!

prettyflamingo

Member Bio
Reaction score
From today's Star...

http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ruickshank-your-starweek-magazine-is-changing

For the next four weeks, all subscribers to the Saturday Star will receive the new, expanded Starweek Magazine at no extra cost.

However, starting March 13, Starweek will be available to any household that wants it for the low cost of just 50 cents extra a week.

If you do not tell us that you want it, you will no longer receive Starweek.

Last edited:
Isn't StarWeek and printed TV guides in general becoming redundant? Most people have access to something called the internet which allows you to do glorious things, such as look up online TV guides which saves a lot of paper.
Not to mention TV Guides that are accessible when subscribing to digital and satellite providers.

A lot of elderly people have no access to "something called the internet", and also enjoy highlighting what they want to watch during the week. They shouldn't be gouged by The Star.

Gee, I wonder if I could sign up to pay less for my newspaper, if they'd keep all those Cars and Real Estate sections.

That's great, I'm glad I wont be getting the Starweek as of March. What a terrible TV guide magazine! Even with the expanded version that I got this morning, it is absolutely useless to anyone who has cable or satellite as the digital guide on the Rogers or Bell receiver box is a heck of a lot more useful. The old Starweek which used better quality paper had some columnists and reviews of TV shows as well as fall previews and such. The Star should just eliminate it all together, since even the old folks without internet most likely have a digital cable box, and all they have to do is hit Guide and see what's on. Simple and much better than the Starweek.

Gee, I wonder if I could sign up to pay less for my newspaper, if they'd keep all those Cars and Real Estate sections.

Their automotive journalism is subpar and the real estate section is basically an advertising section. (I suppose you couldn't pay less not to get the latter.)

More important question: Who in their right mind pays money to read the Star?
The paper has the largest paid circulation of any newspaper in Canada. Who in their right mind doesn't know this?

And show me a paper with better Toronto coverage.

Fifty cents is quite a bargain. For that price, all you have to do is look on your doorstep or mail box, and there it is. If you prefer the alternative print guide, you can travel to the nearest convenience store and purchase TV Guide magazine for a price much more than 50 cents I'd assume, especially when factoring in the travel costs.

Ha. What an act of desperation. Just goes to show that print media is going the way of the dodo bird. If I want news on the go, I read Metro/24 Hours for free then wait til I get to a computer for a broader perspective on topics of interest.

Fifty cents is quite a bargain. For that price, all you have to do is look on your doorstep or mail box, and there it is. If you prefer the alternative print guide, you can travel to the nearest convenience store and purchase TV Guide magazine for a price much more than 50 cents I'd assume, especially when factoring in the travel costs.

TV Guide stopped publishing years ago.

Back