News   Jul 12, 2024
 433     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I don't mind it.. I mean it isn't an architectural masterpiece, but it isn't horrible or anything.. it gets the job done just fine.

Except it is horrible. The amount of wasted space, the illogical layout, the crappy and inconsistent finishes... there's almost no aspect of this project that IS well done from an architectural point of view. It's just bottom-drawer design-build crap.

Also, every Ryerson student knows what a death-trap the escalators-in-corridors become after classes let out from the AMC theatres. The fact that it's allowed in the code to have a wall (with a small door) only a metre in front of a well-used escalator astonishes me. I've been involved in a people pile-up various times, and not because of irresponsibility of anyone using the escalator but simply a poor design given the use of the theatre space.

Cosmetic changes won't fix the gravest of the aforementioned issues.

I know well the issues with the design of the escalators. I also know that it isn't exactly pretty. But I still don't see it as horrible. is it good? not really. The thing is covered with billboards, do you think it needs to be great looking? my only real complaint is the set up of the escalators, I just wish they had managed to find a way to put the up and down escalators beside each other.

As I walked through on Thursday evening, there were surveyors on site with what looked like some form of management. They were looking around on the subway level. The fashion accessories store next to Mrs. Fields has now closed leaving two empty adjacent units next to the subway entrance. I'm guessing this is the start of the work on the aforementioned Tim Hortons?

The clothing store between the main entrance and Johnny Rockets has closed. This is the second store I believe to not work out there.

I go inside it all the time.. it's just meh to me.

Fair enough. Personally I can't think of a more poorly designed major retail space in the city. This thing isn't even at the level Dufferin Mall, which is just "meh" itself.

The lighting of the complex is horrible, the surfaces are depressingly cheap, the food court is poorly maintained and feels like something out of a strip mall and I swear that the designers went out of their way to make sure that stores were in the worst location possible. Thankfully most people don't need to use this thing as anything other than a connection to the subway.

They both have no character whatsoever, they're Ciniplexes. (Who by the way, now have an essential monopoly on the GTA movie industry)

Last edited:
The theatres at Scotia are fine, but the lobby and the escalator areas need a reno to get rid of their late 90s ticky-tackiness.

They both have no character whatsoever, they're Ciniplexes. (Who by the way, now have an essential monopoly on the GTA movie industry)

You think? There's the Lightbox, and the Bloor, and the Carleton, and Market Square, and the Royal all available for your movie watching pleasure, and that's only downtown.

Exactly, downtown, which consists of roughly 1/20th of torontos population. Outside of downtown there are only Ciniplexes, and even downtown the non Ciniplexes tend to play more independent movies and don't even cater to the same audience. If you want to see a blockbuster, your gunna go to a ciniplex.

It is possible to "fix" this but there are too many outstanding long term leases to just raze the building and start over with an empty city block.

However, by taking the Adidas corner entrance, they could fix a lot of the layout problems. By re-orienting the escalators diagonally towards the corner of Yonge & Dundas, they have room for a continuous line of up/down escalators going to the food court with a second floor landing at Futureshop. This would enable them to add a down escalator from the foodcourt to the FutureShop level as it should have had all along.

With that major flow problem corrected, a total interior design renovation with quality finishes would transform the space and invite better tenants.

I've lost track of who owns this now but I recall that it was a stakeholder who bought it out so they wouldn't lose their investment and it was their intention to flip it.

Back