News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Perforated metal? No way! Haven't they heard of glass? In fact, it can't be much more expensive than perforated metal...

Is it Toronto or just the state of contemporary architecture? Too often than not, new buildings look so flimsy and disposable.

Jack lump 'o coal is doing the same thing with Sally Ann at Shuter/Jarvis.

I don't get it all... if this corrugated crap assault is a philosophical statement about the impermanance of planet earth by the architectural gods, I just want to say STFU and hire some brick layers... same budget, permanent and usually reliable results. 'cause most of us don't understand your point and think it's ugly anyway.

I had lunch at the jack astors today , first off it was absolutley packed, not a table available indoors and out, as well i went onto the patio and the views were amazing, people who were sitting inside were getting up from their tables and walking out to look over at the view, the patio it self was decorated nicely , allsoooo the enitire TLS was pretty busy with constant activity especially at the starbucks

I had lunch at the jack astors today , first off it was absolutley packed, not a table available indoors and out, as well i went onto the patio and the views were amazing, people who were sitting inside were getting up from their tables and walking out to look over at the view, the patio it self was decorated nicely , allsoooo the enitire TLS was pretty busy with constant activity especially at the starbucks

TLS is turning into a smash success as i always knew it would. Just wait till its FINISHED! :D

Success in the face of the loud haters makes Thiefy a happy happy boy!

I had dinner @ Jack Astors today. I stopped by during lunch to make reservations. It was indeed full. During dinner, the atmosphere was sort of bar-like with loud music, lots of tv screens playing sports and other programming. There was not a single seat available anywhere and many people hanging out at the front with pagers.

The view from the patio was definitely hampered by the perforated metal siding rails. Glass is a no-brainer for these and I hope they're replaced.

The service was great and it looks like management went through great lengths to hire hot waitresses because every single one fit that profile. :D

Regarding the sprinklers, I noticed that "cages" were installed around sprinklers which are within arm's length.

Also, my point – made many pages back – that people will eventually drop "Toronto" from the name and that within a decade, Dundas Square will be known as "Life Square" is coming to fruition...

An "Official" sign posted outside Jack Astor's Victoria St. entrance:

img00218iw2.jpg

It's late and I don't feel like going back to look for the relevant posts, but somebody argued quite stubbornly against the logic that I laid out:
Toronto Life is a brand that sponsors this building. Toronto Life Square is its name. People won't see the Toronto Life part as the magazine brand once the name of the building becomes synonymous with the building itself rather than the mag.
Dropping the name of the city from the name will definitely happen in street speak and we'll end up with people calling the building Life Sq. for briefness sake.

...within a decade or less, people will associate that with the name of the square and I'm predicting that people will be saying: "Meet me @ Life Square" to refer to the area.

The proof is on the wall: literally. ;)

...within a decade or less, people will associate that with the name of the square and I'm predicting that people will be saying: "Meet me @ Life Square" to refer to the area.

The proof is on the wall: literally. ;)

If we go by that logic, people will be commonly adding a superfluous apostrophe to "escalators" within a decade or less, too.

Zap. You're frozen.

TLS is turning into a smash success as i always knew it would. Just wait till its FINISHED! :D

Success in the face of the loud haters makes Thiefy a happy happy boy!

"Boy", is right, I suspect. TLS looks like a 14-year-old twerp's idea of good architecture; hence, it makes sense that 14-year-old twerps would love it the most...

I found it !

Hi, it's my first time here, excuse my english, i have just basic knowledge. :)Anyway, i love Toronto and TLS but it's a lot of 'GREY' for me.. So i think they can put 'Mur vegetal' to improve this building..

Attachments

• Avignon.jpg
    Avignon.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 274
A little off topic, but on the CORE Architects website, they still have their version of TLS/Metropolis posted. Sigh...Looks a bit like a mini-Pompidou Center with those gradual escalators visibly climbing the side.

At Core Architects go to Work, then Commercial, then scroll down to Metropolis.

People don't go to Yonge and Dundas to view "good architecture". They go to Yonge and Dundas to shop and be a part of the scene or vibe that happens down there. It's geared towards youth and as far as I'm concerned it seems that it (TLS) hits the spot on target.

Back