News   Jul 15, 2024
 323     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 490     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 554     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Oh yah! I'm gonna stop by later, although I can tell from the outside that I may be disappointed. The uncovered ceilings may work well in a loft because at human level, most people won't look up anyway. In this building however, the ceiling is the first thing people see when looking in from the outside.

I hope they address that in the future.

I went in this morning. The Best Buy space around the corner is a little more user friendly but I think they are about the same size. Same industrial exposed ceiling, same toys for sale.

The rest of the complex is extremely unimpressive (you have access to the main atrium and escalators). Granted it is still unfinished, but if you thought the outside was nasty, you will find the inside just as bad. It appears that they are trying to spend as little money as possible. The non-architecture of the exterior is extended into the interior (its a bit like the 'bland new' Eaton Centre addition at Dundas and Yonge, but without the natural light, and even cheaper materials, eg. concrete floor.)

Oh well, I'd never have reason to actually go inside anyway. I'd rather drive to a Future Shop or Johnny Asters or Shoppers in the burbs anyway. Lots of parking, and isn't the point of a box store about loading up with lots of stuff?

I went in this morning. The Best Buy space around the corner is a little more user friendly but I think they are about the same size. Same industrial exposed ceiling, same toys for sale.

The rest of the complex is extremely unimpressive (you have access to the main atrium and escalators). Granted it is still unfinished, but if you thought the outside was nasty, you will find the inside just as bad. It appears that they are trying to spend as little money as possible. The non-architecture of the exterior is extended into the interior (its a bit like the 'bland new' Eaton Centre addition at Dundas and Yonge, but without the natural light, and even cheaper materials, eg. concrete floor.)

Let's create a list of everyone responsible for this at the City of Toronto (giving the land to Pen Equity, approvals, etc)

What's was the feeling like inside? Are there alot of people entering/exiting the building?

Is there a buzz of energy? (lol!)

Not really. The atrium space seemed very very empty and the store was not really that busy (although the checkout line, in the middle of the store, seems to block everything and everybody). I suspect though that as the afternoon and weekend picks up, it will get more crowded.

I am not sure how people are going to know its even opened (as there were no signs and the larger 'neon' sign on Yonge is not lit up).

one of the problems with a phased opening like TLS, is that the beginning can be underwhelming...but each phase makes it a little better...I don't think you will get a real buzz until the theatres open...

Not really. The atrium space seemed very very empty and the store was not really that busy (although the checkout line, in the middle of the store, seems to block everything and everybody). I suspect though that as the afternoon and weekend picks up, it will get more crowded.

I am not sure how people are going to know its even opened (as there were no signs and the larger 'neon' sign on Yonge is not lit up).

I agree with everything you said so far. I went in this morning and gave it a thorough lookthrough, and from what I can see, this is going to be a huuge letdown. It feels kind of jaded to say this but I don't think TLS would be anything without the AMC theatre. I can see that being the only reason why I would ever go in there. But yeah, the interior is an ugly, ugly place.

So I guess that's enough to keep me from purposely going there to check it out. I'll go the next time I need to go to FutureShop or when the AMC theatres open.

And the real truth of the matter is that anyone with the weakness of spirit required to pay Future Shop prices for their gadgets instead of simply walking over to College and Spadina deserves all the ugly architecture they get.

Sir Novelty, Your post made me laugh so hard then even after reading this form faithfully for over a year, it was enough to make me register (which i have not until just now) JUST so I could tell you how extremely amusing I found your last post to be. That says alot.

Thanks hkric. Flushing out lurkers is one of my passions.

I, however, am disturbed by the overt sexual reference contained in said post, and am canceling my subscription. Think of the few remaining Tories in town!

As it happens, so is flushing out Tories.

Checked out the place this afternoon. It was the nicest looking futureshop I’ve been in (that’s not saying much). The building itself it very much a construction site and the futureshop is still not finished (the futureshop sign over the cash was held up with tape). The thing that bothered me the most about the store is that they covered the windows overlooking the square with plywood. Is there not a better space to showcase your plasma and LCD TV’s than on plywood sheets in front of the windows? Despite these issues, I think the buildings interior has some potential. People on this forum are a little too quick label the interior of this building a complete disaster; give it a few months before you start ranting about the Toronto cheap out.

HI,

Earlier someone had mentioned the www.les3brasseurs.ca was moving into Toronto Life Square. This is not true. A representative from the famous Montreal Les 3 Brasseurs restaurant/bar e-mailed me to say they are opening beside the Hard Rock Cafe in Fall 2008. The site is likely the boarded up white building beside the chicken fast food place.

:)

I thought it edges out any Future Shop I've been in, although far from groundbreaking. The holographic welcome video at the bottom of the escalator is tres-cool (until one heads up the escalator and quickly figures out how it works), it's spacious enough, product selections seemed good, but the layout could use some re-thinking. There are a few other display touches in the store which are unique such as the lighting display behind the camera counter. I agree it's a shame the windows to the Square are lost. It seemed to me that the windows are also shaded where the flat panels TV's are. Plasma TV's can't be sold in a brightly lit area because they perform poorly in such conditions hence the reason I suspect that much of the natural light in the south facing windows has been blocked off. Ideally the area where the PC's are and the flat panel TV's should be switched to enable opening up the window views and allowing people in the Square to see activity inside.

Back