News   Jul 15, 2024
 255     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 550     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
A replaced overpass in 14 hours--presumably that would be hoisting in place spans that were cast off-site? Technically, I'd imagine it being way more than 14 hrs, if you account for piers, abutments, approaches, etc...

Dundas Square is indeed a European-style piazza - and a beautiful one at that - in spite of its aesthetic, which is appropriately and thankfully modern and unique. Those looking for cobles, fountains or overwraught statuary may feel jilted, but those of us simply looking for a public space that dares to be just that, a space for the public in the midst of dense urban and commercial activity, will be pleased with what has emerged. People may reach for terms like 'piazza' or 'Times Square' to try and convey what in fact feels fairly unique. That's no crime and does not mean we have an inferiority complexe, Dundas Square does manage to feel a little like each of those things, the sum of which end up being something a little different for itself.
Anyone for a statue of Emanuel Jacques?

A replaced overpass in 14 hours--presumably that would be hoisting in place spans that were cast off-site? Technically, I'd imagine it being way more than 14 hrs, if you account for piers, abutments, approaches, etc...

True, but still not four months. Fourteen hours to put into place.

Dundas Square is indeed a European-style piazza - and a beautiful one at that - in spite of its aesthetic, which is appropriately and thankfully modern and unique. Those looking for cobles, fountains or overwraught statuary may feel jilted, but those of us simply looking for a public space that dares to be just that, a space for the public in the midst of dense urban and commercial activity, will be pleased with what has emerged. People may reach for terms like 'piazza' or 'Times Square' to try and convey what in fact feels fairly unique. That's no crime and does not mean we have an inferiority complexe, Dundas Square does manage to feel a little like each of those things, the sum of which end up being something a little different for itself.

I have no problem with the sq...just don't call it an European piazza. Please, it's not!

IMO the hilarious part of the article was the statement belonging to the architect of Yonge-Dundas Square James Brown, "When you have that building done it'll add intensity to the area. Right now, the Hard Rock Cafe side works nicely with the square so it'll be interesting to see how the other side will look like."….unfortunately Yonge-Dundas Square’s canopy, elevation and stage prevent the “intensity†created by Toronto Life Square’s, The Torch’s and the Condo / Hotel (to be named) streetscaping, patios and storefronts. Yes, the Hard Rock side works well because there are no major physical barriers that visually separate the 2 spaces. To be cynical, the benefit to Toronto Life Square is that people on YD Square are forced to look at the ads instead of checking out the scenery on the street…

The canopy isn't permanent and provides no structural value to the square so it can be removed or replaced one day.

I'm not a fan of the canopy although I think it can be improved upon if it held some architectural value unlike the completely utilitarian image it has now.

Regarding the Times Square and European Piazza comparisons...

some of you guys read things so literally it's breathtaking.

Those statements mean "our version of" or "the closest thing in Toronto to". They do not mean that Dundas Square will be an exact copy of Times Square or look exactly like a European Piazza. The speakers are trying to say that Dundas Square will fulfill those roles in our city.

Regarding the Times Square and European Piazza comparisons...

some of you guys read things so literally it's breathtaking.

Those statements mean "our version of" or "the closest thing in Toronto to". They do not mean that Dundas Square will be an exact copy of Times Square or look exactly like a European Piazza. The speakers are trying to say that Dundas Square will fulfill those roles in our city.

''It's going to be amazing," said city councillor Kyle Rae who helped spearhead the project and the revitalization of Yonge-Dundas Square. ''It's going to be the place to be, where you can hang out and listen to music. It's a European piazza, a gathering of activities.''

That's what I was referring to when I said it is nothing like a European Piazza :p

Montreal has squares galore, of several work as a "European Piazza" - such as the touristy Place des Armes or Jacques Cartier Square. Kingston's revamped market place almost works as a "Piazza" as well, at least when it's not full of market stalls.

Union Square in San Francisco comes to mind as what I would think of a "Piazza" as well.

Would it be possible to name 1 or 2? -- maybe post some pictures for comparison...

I want to see a European Style Piazza in action.

Victoria, BC has a few nice squares. I'm not sure I'd rank them anything like my experiences in Europe, but for the purposes of this conversation I'd submit Victoria as an example.

Back