The Shweeb - Human Powered Monorail

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Welcome To Shweeb

header.jpg

Read More: http://www.shweeb.co.nz/

http://www.shweeb.co.nz/Presentation/Presentation1.aspx?IDType=2190

###########################################################################################
You jump into an aerodynamic capsule and race like a bullet for three laps. With seven gears to play with it’s easy to get up to your top speed. Feel the adrenalin kick in as you fly around curves swinging out 60 degrees! You soar 4m above the pond and then miss the ground by inches!

- Your seat adjusts to your exact height and is as comfortable as a hammock. The highly efficient vehicles let you go much faster than a bicycle.

- There are two ways a vehicle can attain speed. One is to fit the vehicle with a bigger engine to burn more fuel. The other is to reduce the resistances acting against the vehicle. The Shweeb proves that by intelligently removing resistances, the energy required to move a vehicle becomes very small. So small in fact that it becomes possible to dispense with the mechanical engine and utilise the organic engine that the human passenger already carries - muscle power.

- Our vision is a gradually expanding Shweeb transit network that would ultimately connect high density residential areas with central business and employment zones.

- On a typical day, you would get up in the morning and descend to the second level of your residential tower, where there is a Shweeb station and ample pods waiting for you. You would get into the capsule, park you luggage and hang up your jacket. You’d then ride to work at a leisurely pace over the top of the traffic jams – not even raising a sweat. You wouldn’t have to worry about finding a car park space or paying for parking. You’d arrive at work feeling fit, healthy and ready to go!
###########################################################################################

Intro.gif

Towers.gif
network.gif
Stations.gif
terminus.gif

[video=youtube;VXl3uK9hTWU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXl3uK9hTWU[/video]

I actually like the concept of this one! The only problem is to find a fitting place to put it, where it's not trumped by bicycles.

It would be a fun amusement park ride, although for serious commuting there already is an excellent, flexible human-powered vehicle that is compatible with our current transportation system. It's called a bicycle.

I really can't see this taking off. The main thing is that people are very unlikely to pay to use a pedal-powered vehicle, and it would only make sense if it could generate fares.

Neat idea, but PRT is more workable.

Can't this Mark guy who posts these wacky ideas just start a "wacky idea" thread to put them all in? They all end up with the same content anyways:
"here's a wacky idea that someone has made a website for. What do you think?"
"It would cost a ton"
"we have better options that have existed for 100 years"
"It reminds me of X"

I'm all for looking at creative solutions, but it's gone a bit far now.

No one's suggesting it be implemented here, but made for an interesting read nonetheless.

I think Canada's Wonderland would be a great place, so you can get to on rides between going on rides.

Last edited:
Can't this Mark guy who posts these wacky ideas just start a "wacky idea" thread to put them all in? They all end up with the same content anyways:
"here's a wacky idea that someone has made a website for. What do you think?"
"It would cost a ton"
"we have better options that have existed for 100 years"
"It reminds me of X"

I'm all for looking at creative solutions, but it's gone a bit far now.

Agreed. There seems to be a new flavour of the week posted each week. This should at least be put in the "Rest of the Universe Discussion" as it is not a GTA transportation issue.

There is something at Wonderland like this already. They call it Chopper Chase.
691759698_08900a66fb.jpg

I can see it making for a fun ride in itself, but I can't see it being used to travel between rides (or any other 2 points for that matter).

Back