News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

Their products are still superior to Tim's by a longshot, which is sufficient for me to want them here. Probably the wrong market segment though - I am thinking Tim's has cornered the special masochists segment - those who want to continue to be customers just so that they can feel familiarity (we have a lot of that here).

AoD

Raising the bar can happen through competition, and sometimes does.

But that's often insufficient.

What drives many customers isn't food (other product quality); indeed familiarity is very much a part of it, a reason I'm tempted to limit the spread of all chains.

But its also a product of price-driven decision making, time-driving decision making, etc.

If a segment of customers determines their breakfast buying habits based on the assumption they will eat and drive........and want a drive-thru, that shapes the market.

The only way I see to tackle that is outlawing drive-thrus.

Tackling price is more tricky, as there will always be a range.

But I think a mix of forcing entry level wages up; thereby reducing some of the advantage of low-priced offerings is a part of the solution.

So is tackling inherent food quality. Limiting gross over-use of fat and salt; requiring more transparency around ingredients etc.

For instance, a ban on artificial colours and flavours in foods would appeal to me.

I have to add, there's a place for fat in food; I'm for French-fries being deep-fried.

But I think of what McDs (and probably every other fast food place) passes off as sausage.

I mean its gross..........if you get a patty on its own (no bun).....the pooling fat should just about induce nausea. Just sayin.

The end of double cupping: Tim Hortons ditches two cups in favour of one with sleeve

October 21, 2020

Tim Hortons is ending the practice of double cupping hot drinks, a move the fast food restaurant says will eliminate hundreds of millions of cups from landfills each year.

The subsidiary of Restaurant Brands International Inc. will instead provide customers with a cup sleeve, a thick paper material that protects hands from hot beverages.

“Sleeves are a great alternative," said Hope Bagozzi, chief marketing officer at Tim Hortons. "They keep your hands cool but they're just better for the environment."

She said cup sleeves will be used by default for hot beverages like tea and espresso and can be requested for other warm drinks.

Customers who ask for a beverage to be double cupped will now be asked to consider using a sleeve instead.

"We're hoping the majority of guests will be OK with that," Bagozzi said. "But it obviously won't transform overnight. If a guest insists on it and it's going to become an altercation, I don't want a team member to be put in that position."

Public reaction on social media was mixed, with some wondering why double cupping wasn't ended a decade ago while others decried the change and suggested double cupping was necessary for hot tea.

The company expects that stopping the practice of double cupping will save roughly 200 million cups from being tossed in the garbage every year.

Most recycling facilities in Canada don't recycle single use paper coffee cups because of a plastic lining inside.

But Bagozzi said the company is trying to change that, and is in talks with suppliers about recyclable and biodegradable cups.

She said the challenge is to ensure the cup maintains its structural integrity.

"We want to be sure that they are safe and they don't crumble," Bagozzi said. "They've come a long way and we're very bullish with our partners about leading the way in innovation there."

She said Tim Hortons has two pilot programs coming soon, one that will test a cup with a compostable liner and another made with 35 per cent recycled materials.

"As the biggest market leader when it comes to coffee and hot beverages in Canada, it's part of our responsibility to look at our footprint and our sustainability," said Bagozzi. "The notion of double cupping is a big deal and it catches attention but it's just one of many things that we're working on."

The end of double cupping is part of a suite of changes the coffee and doughnut chain is announcing as part of waste reduction week.

In a bid to improve its environmental footprint, Tim Hortons said on Tuesday it would soon roll out new recyclable paper-based wrappers for sandwiches and bagels, eliminating of about 460 tonnes of plastic from the waste stream each year.

On Monday, the fast food chain said it plans to introduce new paper napkins that use 25 per cent less material and are made up of 100 per cent recycled fibre. The change in early 2021 is expected to save 900 tonnes of paper a year.

Tim Hortons is also phasing out plastic straws from its 4,000 restaurants across Canada.

The restaurant said last week the transition to paper straws is expected to be completed by early next year, eliminating roughly 300 million plastic straws a year.

Personally I find sleeves pointless.

They do not fit on a small coffee cup and for black coffees it is still too hot to hold with a sleeve. I also find that with black coffee, it is so hot that steam builds up under the lid causing it to pop open and leak. In these cases the side of the cup gets wet and sleeves are useless.

Tim's introduce a re-usable cup, with a deposit/return system in 2021. (article below is behind the paywall, for now)

For dining (in one can call consuming Tim's products such a thing) in store..........just ....mugs.........

No complicated systems. Mugs.

Tim's introduce a re-usable cup, with a deposit/return system in 2021. (article below is behind the paywall, for now)

For dining (in one can call consuming Tim's products such a thing) in store..........just ....mugs.........

No complicated systems. Mugs.
Mugs. What a concept.

I see they decided to go for that Rubbermaid look, china is a little too déclassé.

AoD

I actually have some Tims mugs from 1993 along with bowls. All china and made in England.

20201022_150930.jpg
20201022_150950.jpg

The end of double cupping: Tim Hortons ditches two cups in favour of one with sleeve

Tim Hortons is ending the practice of double cupping hot drinks, a move the fast food restaurant says will eliminate hundreds of millions of cups from landfills each year.
The fix for keeping cups out of landfill is stupid simple. Add a $0.03 deposit on the cup and $0.02 on the lid. Tim’s can then ensure the cups have their plastic liners removed and both remaining paper and the lid are recycled. Tim‘s can do this voluntarily or wait for government legislation, as IMO the days of fast food outlets taking no direct financial responsibility for their lifetime of their packaging are coming to an end.

Yeaaaaaa..

I don't think anyone will want to keep their used coffee cup while searching for a Tim's. I also don't think Tims will want them back.
People dig through the residential and city recycling and garbage cans all the time for anything they can cash in.

Last edited:
I know I will be tarred and feathered for this, but I prefer Tim's coffee to McDonald's. I'll see myself out :)

Back