News   May 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 591     0 

The 'Restaurant Makeover' Curse

Restaurant Makeover was put on hiatus a while ago after the show was plagued by lawsuits from shoddy construction.
Renovating a restaurant in less than a week for $30,000 is a recipe for disaster (pardon the pun).

The restaurant industry is really tough and fierce, and the survival rate for a new restaurant after its first year is rather grim, and to top it off many restauranteurs don't have what it takes to run a business (especially a restaurant) and often lack the passion, skills and knowledge.

I actually like this show, it's like one part Food TV and one part HGTV. I don't agree with some of the stuff they do on the show, but it makes for good entertainment.
It's funny that almost every restaurant was done on a so-called $30,000 budget (half paid by the owners and half paid by the show), dispite how different in size, condition and amount of work these restaurants needed, and I am sure in most cases the show swallows up overages which I am sure always happens. If I was a restaurant owner, I would gladly pony up an extra $5,000 or $10,000 knowing that the show will match my dollar (that's like free money).
More often enough a revamping of the restaurant's interior and the menu doesn't cure all, as we see here.

I have also heard that Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares also had some troubles too.

Quite a few. The reality is (as you stated) the restaurant industry is incredibly difficult. If the owners don't run things properly, a new interior and a few new menu items ultimately won't help.

There was quite a difference between Kitchen Nightmares (even the crappy American version) and Restaurant Makeover. KM never shied away from showing that a restaurant had closed or that the changes, for one reason or another, didn't work. It seemed that RM's main mission was to show itself off, from the designers to the chefs. I never, ever understood why they thought it would negatively impact their viewership if they'd been honest. I mean, they had fake 'reviews' at the end of each show. Like, what were they trying to 'sell'? Unlike Gordon Ramsay, the chefs on RM were bossy, egotistical and oblivious to what might work. Blowhard, David Adjey, continues this tradition with the terrible, The Opener.

reliable fish and chips on queen east (RM actually increased the business drastically, from what I'm told)

restaurant makeover - The Office Bar

Jan 28, 2011 just watched the makeover from about 4 years ago and was surprised at the wifes obvious disappointment in the changes - she could hardly speak ... curious to see how it worked - - googled here to see it didnt last long

not fair that this show is allowed to run suggesting this was going to make things better - should be a disclaimer at the end

owners broke - bozo renovators get residuals ?? i realize they were maybe not good business people but still surprised at the shows gall

Back