News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

The New Clipped Passes

noctis

Member Bio
Reaction score
So as you all already know, the TTC has introduced a new pass with a clipped corner that came out this month. I know that it is mainly for the visually impaired since it is hard for them to figure out which way to swipe the pass, but my only problem is that instead of making something like that, why not think of a way to create a scanner for the passes? I am talking about smartcard technology here, similar to Presto. All you have to do is tap your pass! In addition to that, I would also suggest a new design for those ugly turnstiles that we currently have. Something like this would be much better in terms of traffic flow, and ease of use.

100617-mrt-entrance1.jpg

So as you all already know, the TTC has introduced a new pass with a clipped corner that came out this month. I know that it is mainly for the visually impaired since it is hard for them to figure out which way to swipe the pass, but my only problem is that instead of making something like that, why not think of a way to create a scanner for the passes? I am talking about smartcard technology here, similar to Presto. All you have to do is tap your pass! In addition to that, I would also suggest a new design for those ugly turnstiles that we currently have. Something like this would be much better in terms of traffic flow, and ease of use.

100617-mrt-entrance1.jpg

baby steps, man. It's the TTC!

Do we really need to be spending our non-existent money on new turnstiles?

Hopefully at least turnstiles at new subway/LRT stations will have these new designs. There are many other similar designs around the world that should be looked at as well.

Don't think we need RFID in metropasses when logically (I know, TTC) when we move fully to Presto in 2015, metropasses will cease to exist, and become automatic on your presto card once you hit a certain number of rides or dollar amount, as other agencies do.

...metropasses will cease to exist, and become automatic on your presto card once you hit a certain number of rides or dollar amount, as other agencies do.

Unless they cop-out and make you load a period pass on your card like Brampton and Hamilton have decided to do...

2015 eh...so far away...

True, that would suck...
Last time I checked, you couldn't even get a monthly or weekly cap on the Oyster Card in London - only a daily cap.

Given the best deal on the TTC currently is the 12-month subscription for $111 a month, I'd expect that they'd still be selling this pass by annual subscription, even if they do rate cap the entire month at $121 (or whatever the fares will be in 2015 when it's completely rolled out).

baby steps indeed... I do think babies move faster though.

New York City's MTA started doing clipped cards 10 years ago!

Back