409     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 567     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 379     0 

The man behind Stephen Harper

K

kat001

Last year The Walrus Magazine featured an interesting article on Harper's national campaign director Tom Flanagan, a U.S.-born professor of political science at the University of Calgary and Harper's ideological mentor.

An excerpt from the article:

" For the past three decades, Flanagan has churned out scholarly studies debunking the heroism of Metis icon Louis Riel, arguing against native land claims, and calling for an end to aboriginal rights. Those stands had already made him a controversial figure, but four years ago, his book, First Nations? Second Thoughts, sent tempers off the charts.

In it, Flanagan dismissed the continent's First Nations as merely its "first immigrants" who trekked across the Bering Strait from Siberia, preceding the French, British et al. by a few thousand years � a rewrite which neatly eliminates any indigenous entitlement. Then, invoking the spectre of a country decimated by land claims, he argued the only sensible native policy was outright assimilation.

Aboriginal leaders were apoplectic at the thought Flanagan might have a say in their fate. Led by Phil Fontaine, National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, they released an urgent open letter demanding to know if Harper shared Flanagan's views. Two months later, Harper still had not replied. For Cl�ment Chartier, president of the M�tis National Council, his silence speaks cautionary volumes. Martin's minority government could fall any minute, giving Harper a second chance at the governmental brass ring. "If Flanagan continues to be part of the Conservative machinery and has the ear of a prime minister," he worries, "it's our existence as a people that's at stake."

www.walrusmagazine.com/ar...09/2119243

Right, so tell me again how current Native policy is such a roaring success?

Are you suggesting mass assimilation and denying historical aboriginal claims to the land is the solution? In your estimation were the residential schools a roaring success?

I don't think the road toward land settlements is a good one for Canadians. Our current (and quite racist) native policy has done little to help and much to persist unsustainable ways of life.

I also entirely agree that the 'natives' are no more entitled to the land than other immigrants. On any other continent, the native's supposed right to the land would have been dismissed.

That said, residential schools were entirely the wrong approach to resolving this problem. There is nothing wrong with aboriginal culture, and it should in fact be celebrated. But aboriginals should be encouraged wherever possible to become a part our our society and economy. Only by participating in the political and economic process can aboriginal peoples be empowered to make positive changes for themselves. Fantasizing about the past will not bring it back...

060102_harper_300.jpg

see what's behind harper in this image?

I don't think the road toward land settlements is a good one for Canadians. Our current (and quite racist) native policy has done little to help and much to persist unsustainable ways of life.

I think we need to get to an end game. How many governments will go by before all the claims are dealt with and we end the special treatment? Come to an agreement on everything and then give each reserve a choice... be a municpal government within the province, be a territory of the federal government, or be fully independant. We can't go on having new claims in the 21st century.

Are you suggesting mass assimilation and denying historical aboriginal claims to the land is the solution? In your estimation were the residential schools a roaring success?
Not at all. What I am saying is that the current policy of keeping in place unelected, unaccountable chiefs, lack of private land ownership, questionable financial dealings vis-a-vis native land claims and band councils, and the rest of the sorry mess that is supported by a combination of white-guilt and nostalgia isn't doing much for these people. Fixating your attention on schools that operated decades ago may salve your conscience and provide you with enough indignation (and money if you're a lawyer), but I don't see how babbling on about phantom menaces like "assimiliation" (even though a good chunk of natives live in cities) is going to prevent new generations of kids sniffing glue and blowing their brains out when they hit 13.

Dan e> I don't get it.

Indians or no Indians, Flanagan is a scary guy. Back in the 1990s in political science school, we would talk about his antics, and worry about calgary.

it's the quebec bloc (the prospect of turning that flag into a nation) that's behind harper - the unholy alliance

The man behind Stephen Harper is an ignorant degenerate who obviously works for the CIA. The LOSERS' diction speaks for itself:

"The destruction of the institutions arose from the need of overextended governments to save money as well as from the boredom of politicians with "problems" that have no "solutions." But the most important cause was a degenerate liberalism that glorified individual freedom while forgetting that liberty presupposes ability and willingness to take responsibility for managing one's own life."

WHAT A MORON ! ! !

I hope Stephen Harper gets rid of this degenerate !

I am no fan of Harper, but he works for the CIA? That's bit of a stretch.

AoD

It is not a stretch. Academics are supposed to be objective, and when they are as transparent as Harper's handler is, I think it's just silly to suggest they do not work for the CIA.

In Iraq, it's regime change through the CIA controlled Pentagon. In Canada, it's through CIA money.

Remember when American websites fanned the flame of the Gomery Inquiry? That was no accident -in my view.

I just wish the CIA could figure out a way to control the world without screwing the North American economy. In my view, that is the greatest threat to our national security.

Imagine if the CIA had to worry about a budget...

Back