News   Jul 17, 2024
 439     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 970     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

The Junction

On another note, it's surprising that there is no proposal to build anything on the McBride's site.

ya i know, i was wondering about this. actually with the options condo project, i know that before options was involved, there was another developer interested in the old canadian tire site and they wanted to build more of a luxurious condo (with a lot of glass and all) and it didnt go through because the neigborhood didn't like the direction it was going to. would this affect how the mcbride site would be approved?

That site probably has a restriction of building up to seven stories to match the historic Victorian streetscape. That not that appealing to developers, unless the old Canadian Tire site developer planned on combining it with the Canadian Tire site. But it is a large site.

Also, regarding the GM test drive. If that actually happened on the day of the festival, I can't imagine the frustration of such a drive. The traffic on Annette was incredible with it reduced to two lanes and Dundas closed. What made it worse was all the potholes, which have become massive. You can't drive too fast unless you're planning on tire shopping in the next few days. Too many people didn't notice that laneway (thankfully).

:(

And question for the locals: Is Margret's a good brunch spot? I was at the Beet this past weekend for brunch, and was appalled at how much they charge for crap! The food was very bland; it may be organic, but it tasted like cardboard! No flavour at all, no spices, etc. Yuck! Hopefully the Foundation eats them for brunch! (Okay, so the Beet's coffee is good. I told the owners to spice up their menu.:))

Best brunch in the Junction is at Agora (across the street from Vesuvios) Everything is prepared fresh and is great value. I notice that its pretty busy there now on Saturday mornings. Their coffee - and teas - are also the best in the neighbourhood. Great place.

PS I just joined this site and have been lurking for a while now. It's a great site.

Yes, I agree, I like Agora cafe best of all the places; it's the least pretentious, and the Irish owners imho are part of that atmosphere! I like going when it's quiet--aka, mid week, mid-afternoon.

I checked out Cool Hand of a Girl for the first time yesterday--their coffee is boring, but their sandwiches (for $7.95) look interesting--I didn't buy one because I had this enormous craving for a Bronto burger.:D

DSC00182.jpg

For those that have tried their food, what do you recommend?

anyone ever anticipate anything like a sort of lounge happening in the junction area, say like a gladstone/drake sort of thing a few years from now? are there even areas for such a thing to take place? didn't they used to have halls in the junction way back when in an area just west of keele and south of dundas? im not sure of the exact building, but i attended one of those walking junction tours, and if i remember correctly, and they pointed out that way back when audiences for shows were segregated, an asian canadian kid was sitting where he wasn't supposed to and they decided it wasn't a big deal so the audiences were integrated. anyone know what i may be talking about and if the structure still exists?

so is a lounge kind of thing possible, or is the junction too residential?

A lounge would be cool, aka, a Drake-ish style hang out. Plenty of wealthy white folks moving into the nabe.... If you know anyone with some capital, I'd be willing to hang out there.:) Just call it the "Junction Juice Bar."

Btw, here's a shot of what makes a Bronto Burger (here's the organic one, I actually prefer their regular non-trendy non-organic one) so special, imho:

DSC00078.jpg

I heard someone complain recently that there are too many new places opening up! "Soon it will be worse than Queen Street" they moaned!

I heard someone complain recently that there are too many new places opening up! "Soon it will be worse than Queen Street" they moaned!

First Bloor & Landsdowne will have to become more gentrified, then it'll move west to the Junction.

First Bloor & Landsdowne will have to become more gentrified, then it'll move west to the Junction.

Well, that will take a while then!

In the meanwhile, Dundas east of Keele to Annette/Dupont needs some improvement especially east of Indian Grove where some questionable street activity takes place.

I was in Shox last week and pleasantly surprised.

Town Crier Article on the Murmur Project

Murmuring the oral history of the Junction
Thursday, October 30, 2008

By Kris Scheuer

Want to know what it was like to work on local railroad? Or how The Junction ceased being an alcohol-free zone?

Generations of area residents recorded their memories for the Murmur project commissioned by The Junction Art Festival.

Murmur is an interactive oral history initiative in which audio stories are accessed online or by calling a phone number listed on a historic site.

At 3010 Dundas St. West participants on their cellphones can listen to Piera Pugliese describe how the community lifted a nearly century old ban on serving alcohol.

“It was dry from 1903 and remained dry until 1997,†she says. “There was a group of us interested in it becoming wet.â€

Pugliese helped gather signatures to bring the issue to a referendum. She says they needed 60 percent plus one to win on the ballot question.

“We met with a lot of opposition at the door,†she says. “It took city hall three days to let us know (we won).â€

Another story comes from Raymond Kennedy, a fourth-generation railway man who worked for Canadian Pacific Railway for 40 years.

His anecdote is recorded at the northeast corner of Dundas and Dupont Sts., where an old West Toronto rail depot was located.

“(The railway) served The Junction for many decades,†says Kennedy. “One time I remember looking out and noticed some small children climbing the side of switch engines.â€

His concern was that the crew on the other side of the rail cars could not see the kids, so he warned the children to be careful where they play. He says he even offered to introduce them to a railway worker who’d lost both his legs, but that scared the kids off.

J.R. Gratsby recalls The Beaver Theatre, which was an old movie house once located near Dundas and Medland Sts.

“In The Junction it was one of seven theatres here,†says Gratsby, who owns Big Daddy’s DVD Shop. “It was one of the most beautiful theatres I’ve ever seen. It was a 1920s art deco style with stain glass windows.â€

Wilfred Dunn, who grew up in the community, recalls another former theatre down the street at Dundas St. and Gilmour Ave.

“We are now standing where the Crescent Theatre was,†he says in his audio story. “I used to come here every Wednesday night with my mother. In approximately 1948, we used to get free dishware. If you came every other Wednesday night, you could accomplish the set.â€

More than two dozen audio stories are available now for listening with a second installment expected later this month.

You can hear all the stories either by going online to http://murmurtoronto.ca/junction or by taking a stroll through the community and calling the number listed on the Murmur listening post.

Murmur also has similar projects in other countries, and more locally, in other parts of Toronto including Kensington Market, Little India and the Annex.

Another annoying article by a sub-standard community news publication. The Junction Arts Festival didn't commission murmur, the Junction Forum for Art & Culture did.

Here's a historical photo from the 1970s I found in some planning documents awhile ago:

Today, only the silos stand, and a nondescript warehouse. But the property had a large milling complex, with bridges spanning fairly long distance between the structures. Also note what appears to be a modernist office building on the right hand side, which is also gone.

Here's a historical photo from the 1970s I found in some planning documents awhile ago:

Today, only the silos stand, and a nondescript warehouse. But the property had a large milling complex, with bridges spanning fairly long distance between the structures. Also note what appears to be a modernist office building on the right hand side, which is also gone.

Wait--would that photo be taken from one of the overhead roadways at the giant warehouse complex at 500 Keele? (Note the railing bottom left.) In which case, the houses in the foreground also still stand; and that tower in the back is Pelham Park Gardens public housing...

Back