News   May 02, 2024
 689     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 211     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 281     0 

The Great PC/Mac Debate (Embarrassing Revelations for Windows Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new MacBook is out...I think I will be jumping ship when the time comes for a new laptop :p

http://www.apple.com/mac/

AoD

I can't say I'm impressed. The two tone colour scheme doesn't really appeal to me (at least not in that configuration). The older model was more attractive.

It still doesn't support next generation optical drives, it still has no media card reader and the LED screen is still just 1440 x 900. Their isn't any HDMI output either, and just two USB ports.

The environmental considerations are great, but overall a disappointing upgrade.

Having used both....I don't think Vista is all that bad.... But then again, I went from an XP laptop to a Leopard iMac.... I think it's personal preference. I am not a computer guy so I like the fact that OS X actually simplifies many of the tasks you want to do into a simple interface. Windows is probably much more powerful for the true geek. Either way, not that you can install windows on a mac, it's not a definitive choice anymore.... PC magazine has routinely rated Apple machines the best rigs to run Windows on....

I was going to say the same thing. syn has a major hate on for anything mac it seems.

lol

Please. This is the typical response of a Mac fanatic - can you actually address what I've written or just provide a blanket accusation?

If you have any familiarity with the laptop market at all, you'll see this Macbook update is still, overall, quite far behind the curve.

Which is the typical response of a PC fanatic.

around around we go...

Yes, it is if you edit out almost my entire response and ignore my original post on why I think it's a disappointing upgrade...which is exactly what you've done.

I still use windows so I can play computer games.

Yes, it is if you edit out almost my entire response and ignore my original post on why I think it's a disappointing upgrade...which is exactly what you've done.

Why repeat the same old thing over and over?

I generally find that anytime someone says something pro-Mac you're in with a negative comment. Alvin said he's looking at a Mac. First comment was from you and it was negative. If we go back in these threads that's all we get from you.

BTW, I don't use a Mac.

I generally find that anytime someone says something pro-Mac you're in with a negative comment. Alvin said he's looking at a Mac. First comment was from you and it was negative. If we go back in these threads that's all we get from you.

BTW, I don't use a Mac.

Did you actually read my post?

Simply claiming it's negative is pretty pointless unless you can actually point out what's wrong with saying that.

All I've said is I don't like the update and pointed out why. Up to this point no one has actually addressed what I posted; all I get is the usual Anti-Mac fluff.

For some reason it's all well and good for a Mac user to complain, but if I make a reasonable, detailed post it's just me being "negative".

I can't say I'm impressed. The two tone colour scheme doesn't really appeal to me (at least not in that configuration). The older model was more attractive.

It still doesn't support next generation optical drives, it still has no media card reader and the LED screen is still just 1440 x 900. Their isn't any HDMI output either, and just two USB ports.

The environmental considerations are great, but overall a disappointing upgrade.

Most people don't need an HDMI output. DVI is the typical monitor connection. It makes more sense on a laptop to use the typical connection as opposed to one that only technophiles would use.

A 15" LCD (not LED) that goes to 1440x900 is pretty typical admittedly. They could have went one step up to the 1680 x 1050. But this probably would have increased the price point quite alot.

Two USB ports on a notebook is fine. When your going out and about with it normally people would use say an external mouse and a memory stick. Other wise you can just use a USB hub. Which are quite compact if you really need one travelling.

However there are a lot of bonuses to buying a Macbook pro compared to these so-called negatives. The only real negative was the screen size but you can go 17" if that's a deal breaker for you.

On the positive you have:
2 or 4 gig DDR3 memory
VIDIA GeForce 9600M and a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor (yes two graphics cards)
High bus speed on all components(memory,processor,graphics)
6mb l2 cache on the 2.54ghz model

plus the new OSX has native multiprocessor support. This means your applications don't have to manage the processors and the OS does it for you.

I run Vista on two machines at home ( one desktop and one laptop) and OSX at work (dual quad core baby! ) and find both perform well. I use photoshop, flash, word, email, Dreamweaver, firefox, itunes or winamp, ftp all at the same time with no problems on either system.

In a laptop purchase I would consider the Mac as it's usually much more compact than those its comparable to.

I think W.ll.am nailed it - the specs for the MacBook aren't "perfect", but from a hardware perspective at this price point, very much comparable if not beyond what PC laptops offers - I don't think there are all that many of those using LED backlight displays, DDR3, FSB at 1.066 GHz, Nvidia 9400M, the new multi-touch pad, etc. It uses Mini DisplayPort instead of HDMI - both of which are not that useful, vs. DVI/VGA (which it doesn't have). Those features, combined with OS/X iLife bundle tilts the scale in its' favour.

As to Bluray - even if it has one, it's going to be BD-ROM anyways, which is IMO not worth the money on a laptop.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back