News   Jul 26, 2024
 129     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 877     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 725     0 

The Great Beautification Thread

Where should Toronto concentrate Beautifcation Dollars?

• Gateways and Gateway Corridors

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Grand Parks

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Grand Boulevards

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Nooks, Crannies and Courtyards

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • General Streetscape

Votes: 50 67.6%

• Total voters
Wooden junk poles elimination.

Taking huge cost into account, I'm not talking about the whole city of Toronto.
We should concentrate on DOWNTOWN first.
Good starting point is Dundas St. W. across the street from redesigned AGO, which is REAL WORLDCLASS eyesore ...

the wire

Taking huge cost into account, I'm not talking about the whole city of Toronto.
We should concentrate on DOWNTOWN first.
Good starting point is Dundas St. W. across the street from redesigned AGO, which is REAL WORLDCLASS eyesore ...

Renvel makes a sensible suggestion, which is to focus on burying wires on major downtown streets, but there doesn't appear to be the political will to attempt even that. For example, I contacted Kyle Rae's office a while ago to ask if the wires along Jarvis could be buried if the road-narrowing went through. That would seem to be a no-brainer, since the project would involve removing existing pavement down to the dirt level. Rae wasn't interested - and he is one of the most pro-urban, design-positive councillors.

Main streets festooned with overhead wires supported on wooden poles would be unacceptable in most first world cities but here it seems to be the norm. 2 questions:

1. Who decided our streetscapes would look like this?

2. How do we mobilize to get the wires buried at least on main streets downtown?

Ugly wooden poles

I'm ready to participate in any possible way.
How about sendind an open letter to the City Hall attention / Toronto Star? It might work somehow in an election year...

You will have my signature!

And definitely mine too. I've been complaining about electrical & streetcar wires, rusted poles, nasty postering all over everything and ugly HVAC units on the roofs of buildings, for a long time. Clean up all that crap and our city would be greatly improved. I see no reason why it shouldn't be done.

Back