News   Jul 15, 2024
 44     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 603     1 

The Future of Bombardier

I guess it was imminent. The lost of the majority of the A220 (Which will always be the CSeries in my heart) to Airbus was the beginning of the slow demise in my opinion.
It's truly a shame too, as the duopoly is probably going to continue for another decade or two, until the Chinese jet makers start to gain a foothold in the global commercial aviation market.
Airbus is going to make loads of money off of the CSeries, with Canadians taking almost all development cost. It was a promising project that was so close, but in the end was screwed over by things both in and out of Bombardier's control.

The only reason this company is still kicking around is because the government (Federal and Provincial) keep bailing them out time and time again. Now the Quebec government is apparently looking at bailing them out yet again.

It's time to let this company out of the misery and just sink away; the Bombardier family has suckered enough money away from Canadian taxpayers.

The only reason this company is still kicking around is because the government (Federal and Provincial) keep bailing them out time and time again. Now the Quebec government is apparently looking at bailing them out yet again.

It's time to let this company out of the misery and just sink away; the Bombardier family has suckered enough money away from Canadian taxpayers.
Agreed, everything that could've saved Bombardier has been sold off. Specifically the CSeries, Canada's hope of being of any significance in the global commercial aviation market is gone. Probably for at least my lifetime, unless the feds suddenly decides they want to compete with their most significant parter, the U.S government, *cough* I mean Boeing.

One of Canada's biggest success story should've failed a while ago, if there weren't bailouts after bailouts. I will never let go of the CSeries, it will always hold a special place in my heart, and everytime I fly it I will still be proud of Canada's aviation industry. Unfortunately, that golden age has passed, but at least it will be able to live on longer under Airbus.

Surely bailouts are common with every major aircraft manufacturer. Is Bombardier getting too much flack in that regard? I honestly don't know. But I don't enjoy seeing them fail, basically because it's Cdn.

Surely bailouts are common with every major aircraft manufacturer. Is Bombardier getting too much flack in that regard? I honestly don't know. But I don't enjoy seeing them fail, basically because it's Cdn.
Honestly, if the bailouts actually worked, and we could've kept the CSeries in Canada, I would be completely fine with dumping money on the plane, although I would expect repayment. Now, nobody wins except Airbus, who basically got a free plane, with guaranteed profits. I think there isn't much point in arguing, we basically past the point of no return the day we sold the majority of the program to Airbus.

Reactions: rbt
This is where Bombardier needs to retreat to, back to the BRP spin off. BTW, the best motorcycle channel on Youtube.

Everything Bombardier has divested themselves from has turned around significantly. Which I guess shows everyone how inept Bombardier's management is/was.

BRP was struggling quite a bit, and the turn around they've had since being divested is quite astounding.

Everything Bombardier has divested themselves from has turned around significantly. Which I guess shows everyone how inept Bombardier's management is/was.

BRP was struggling quite a bit, and the turn around they've had since being divested is quite astounding.
BRP is a private firm owned by the founder's family. The larger Bombardier firm expanded past the recreational vehicles into airplane and trains through using OPM (other people's money) through IPOs and government handouts to buy distressed businesses (Canadair, de Havilland Canada, UTDC, etc.), plus through preferential "buy Canadian/Ontarian/Quebec" contracts from governments. Once the stock market and government assistance dried up, the house of cards collapsed, bringing us back to the original, and successful recreational vehicle foundations.

It should be no surprise that the larger public BRB company spun off the recreational vehicle division back to the private family just before they began declaring financial difficulties and market/sales failures in their trains and planes divisions, but not before using OPM to update/develop the successful Sea Doo and Spyder products. They wanted a parachute....

Last edited:

It should be noted that this order is paired with the earlier May announcement of an order from Sounder in Seattle. The two agencies partnered with a third agency, the Altamont Corridor Express, to order a larger batch of equipment at lower pricing than may have otherwise been available.

ACE has not announced their order yet, but if you go by the original announcement it should be 2 cab cars and 4 coaches - although if you look at the San Joaquin Regional Rail Commission's own reports, it looks like they may be getting a larger order than that.

Dan

Back