News   Jul 23, 2024
 242     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 324     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 937     1 

The forum software is so.... awkward

Re: Location

It might not be a good idea - as "fond" of skyscrapers as we are - it's called <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> urban<!--EZCODE BOLD END-->toronto for a good reason - that urbanity does not necessarily requires tall buildings (though for density reasons, it might be good to have it).

Bringing it under an organization with an emphasis on tall buildings might colour the forum.

GB

joining forces

Why not just have a link at skycrapercity. That way independance is maintained while increased exposure can take place. The best of both worlds.

Re: joining forces

Thanks for the offer Jan but at this time I will stay with ezboard. We paid for a full year of service so I might reconsider next July when it comes time to renew or find a new home. By then urbantoronto will be online and hopefully financially stable enough to hosts its own forum.

Thanks again for the offer.

Ryan

In that case I will just have to come here more often!

See you soon dude!

:)

I think Urban Toronto should stay separate, and I'd contribute money to see it stay that way. Toronto has unique issues and problems, and unique opinions and solutions to those problems. As an independent forum, we can debate local issues without the need to convey basic knowledge about the city. Joining with a world forum will unfocus the debate. This forum's success is phenomenal, so why fix what ain't broke?

Where's the $$?

billy.. Where are you exactly getting the $$ for the $300 annual fee? I haven't seen any merchandise for sale.. *shrug* From your own pocket?

>bpoon2k2....the example forum you gave wasn't a good
>one though...rsx's suck
>
>the forum layout is fine I think...sure, others might
>seem a bit better but that's just because they're
>different....every forum has pro's and con's to it

Dude... And what exactly do you drive?

bpoon2k2....

'90 supra turbo...
current mods:
K&N FIPK
NGK performance wires
A'PEXi AVC boost controller
Autometer boost gauge
HKS exhaust & downpipe
custom high flow cat
Blitz17x7's
Yokohama 235/45R17's
Blitz supersound BOV
Greddy lowering springs

soon to come:
custom turbo(probably 13 or 15G)
y-pipe
fuel pump & injectors
A'PEXi AFC controller
Autometer AFC gauge

might be an older car, but it pulls on most things out there :)
oh and sorry to everyone else for turning this into a car mod thread =p

:eek okok.. you are eligible to say my car sux :\ :)

well, I dont have anything against rsx's...they're decent cars, but they've kinda become prone to being riced out...
I mean, I see quite a few of them with 4 inch exhausts, giant spoilers and decals...not as many as civics or crx's or anything but I just hate to see any car ruined like that :)

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> bpoon2k2 said:<!--EZCODE BOLD END-->
The forum software is so.... awkward... and un-userfriendly. Can't we have something like the one being used by forums.clubrsx.com ? The software there rocks... and very very easy to use. Is the software being used by this site free? How about the one being used by the site above?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
The site software used on forums.clubrsx.com is vBulletin which is not free.

A good free (and self-hosted, meaning it can be ad-free) alternative is phpbb www.phpbb.com. Here's an example of a community using it: www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/index.php

However, phpbb needs to be hosted on a server that has php installed (which is common in apahche-on-unix environments, but urbantoronto.ca is currently hosted on IIS). And although you could find an ISP with such capabilities for less than $300/yr, you wouldn't get the support and maintenence that is currently provided by ezboard (so it may or may not be worth it).

Also, ezboard seems to do the job well enough, and it would be a shame to lose all the historical posts on here (which I doubt could easily be migrated if the board were ever moved to different forum software). Does anyone know how long ezboard keeps old posts before expiring them?

As far as I know, the life span of a post is decided by the admin.

BC?

BC/Ryan,

If you are looking for a place to host the site after EZ runs out, I might be able to help. I currently have 200mb on a shared server, and only use 80mb of it. It has php and every little goodie that you usually need...and pretty good 24h support. I pay for the space right now for my own sites (www.wdwip.com and www.thefairground.com), and would be happy to donate the space. I am also running a discussion forum using the YaBB software, which is both free and extremely well designed.

Let me know, it's an open offer. If you want to email me, then admin@wdwip.com works.

Back