The End Of The Road: Saying Goodbye To Freeways

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
The End Of The Road: Saying Goodbye To Freeways

March 21, 2011

By Dan Bobkoff

nprlogo_138x46.gif

Read More: http://www.npr.org/2011/03/21/134743606/the-end-of-the-road-saying-goodbye-to-freeways

Half a century after cities put up freeways, many of those roads are reaching the end of their useful lives. But instead of replacing them, a growing number of cities are thinking it makes more sense just to tear them down. To Clevelanders like Judie Vegh, the whole idea of tearing down a freeway just sounds crazy. "I think it's a pretty bad idea for commuters because I commute every morning downtown," she says. Vegh takes the West Shoreway each day from her home in the nearby suburb of Lakewood, Ohio. When she learned that the city plans to convert this freeway into a slower, tree-lined boulevard, she was not amused. "If it was 35 miles per hour, I would just be later than usual," Vegh says. Bob Brown, Cleveland's city planner, says this is not the traditional highway project. "The traditional highway project is obviously speeding things up, adding more capacity, but often ignoring the character of neighborhoods," he says.

How did this happen? After all, this is the country that always saw roads as a sign of progress. Now, taking down freeways has gone mainstream. Cities as diverse as New Haven, New Orleans and Seattle are either doing it or talking about it. The chief motivation seems to be money. Milwaukee removed a freeway spur for $30 million. Officials estimated it would have cost between $50 million and $80 million to fix that roadway. That inspired Akron, Ohio, officials to study what to do with an aging six-lane freeway that few motorists use. "Perhaps we can remove sections of it and have it fit in better with the Akron grid system and offer an economic benefit by making land available," says Jim Weber, Akron's construction manager.

This is the city planner's dream: Take out an underused freeway, open up land for new businesses or parks and magically more workers will move back to the city and property values will soar. So far, though, the results have been mixed. Milwaukee hasn't seen as much development as proponents hoped after that city took down a spur of the Park East Freeway. But San Francisco revitalized an entire neighborhood by taking down the Embarcadero Freeway in the early 1990s.

A pedestrian and cyclist are seen along the Embarcadero with the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge in the background. San Francisco dismantled a freeway in this location in the early 1990s.

ap091221025405.jpg

The Embarcadero Freeway, circa 1960, as it once existed along San Francisco's waterfront.

embarcadero.jpg

The Alaskan Way Viaduct, the raised two-level highway that runs along Seattle's downtown waterfront, is seen from the air in 2006. Seattle is now replacing it to improve mobility for people and goods.

alaskaway.jpg

I'm getting kinda tired of all these posts proclaiming the end of cheap gas/the automobile/the expressway. Sometimes I feel people just have really big beefs and axes to grind.

The burying or covering up of a freeway would address the issue of it not being in the way which is what this is really about, not necessarily reducing highway options. The burying of the Gardiner or the covering of the Allen Expressway and building a new street or parks above it kinda thing.

Ditto.

It's hard to say that it's the "end" of anything until it's actually over.

Sounds like Denial?

Is physical media dead as a media source? Not yet but the end is near.... Cars will always be around but the end of cheap gas is Near.. our world will change like it or not...

FYI I just came from buying a FIAT 500 so Im Not ANTI-car Im ANTI-denial....

The title is an exaggeration for sure, and this would pertain to some freeways like no one objects to the presence of the 401 or 400 in the city. Cases like the Gardiner or covering up a freeway that was built in a natural trench like the DVP is another story, and again not taking away the highway, just moving it out of the way.

M II A II R II K said:
The burying or covering up of a freeway would address the issue of it not being in the way which is what this is really about, not necessarily reducing highway options. The burying of the Gardiner or the covering of the Allen Expressway and building a new street or parks above it kinda thing.

We should elevate our metros and transit, and bury our highways. Doing things backwards seems to be the human condition.

Sounds like Denial?

Is physical media dead as a media source? Not yet but the end is near.... Cars will always be around but the end of cheap gas is Near.. our world will change like it or not...

Congrats on the new car! I checked it out at the auto show, and the thing was surprisingly roomy for a mini-compact (smaller than a Yaris, larger than a Smart Car). I can't remember its fuel economy score, but IIRC it was very, very good. I didn't know it was even out yet.

Sounds like Denial?

Spare me the histrionics. People have been crowing about how the spike in the price of gas - a doubling or tripling in prices in a mere decade - is going to result in a massive decline in car use, and a complete shift in the way we work, travel and live. If I recall, in the mid-90s, a mere 15 years ago, the gas price in Toronto was about 42 cents a litre and the price of gas in most US cities was about a dollar a gallon. Today the gas price is roughly $1.20 a litre, and is pushing $4 a gallon in most of the US. Despite this tripling and quadrupling in gas price in just over a decade and a half - during a time when the inflation in most other consumer products was at its lowest, and incomes were generally stagnant - the reduction in car use seems to be marginal, at best, and there are more cars on the road today than there ever have been.

The problem is that it isnt just gas which BTW I think you are grosly underestimating... If we are in a recession and the price of gas is 1.20 what do you think it will be once we get out? Plus add on top of economic recovery there will be inflation... PLus add that there are more countries in need of gas (India, China) so supply and demand will effect gas or not? Plus add on top World War 3 in the middle East and its effect on Gas Prices.

However its not just Gas. THEre simply isnt enough more space on the roads for any more cars. We dont have space to build anymore roads. We arent really going to
finish the ALLEN no matter who the mayor candidate it. It just doesnt make sense. AS expensive is to get people around by public transit when we are already 20 years behind it is the more likely option of the future then even every single person downsizing their SUV to a Fiat. You can argue all you want that people WANT to drive.All Im suggesting is that in the future that WANT will become a LUXURY.

The problem is that it isnt just gas which BTW I think you are grosly underestimating...

Further extending this is the resulting price increase on other goods we need. How much of your weekly groceries are trucked in from Florida, California or Mexico? Increase the price of gas and the cost of eating is going to go up. Even more domestic production is going to be inflated as it takes fuel to drive the tractors and harvesters in Canada.

Even if your annual automobile gas cost only doubles in the coming year, the fact so many more of your purchases are becoming more expensive will mean the percentage of your disposable cash to be spent on gas will increase significantly.

The question is what will be the cut-off for people?

Further extending this is the resulting price increase on other goods we need. How much of your weekly groceries are trucked in from Florida, California or Mexico? Increase the price of gas and the cost of eating is going to go up. Even more domestic production is going to be inflated as it takes fuel to drive the tractors and harvesters in Canada.

Even if your annual automobile gas cost only doubles in the coming year, the fact so many more of your purchases are becoming more expensive will mean the percentage of your disposable cash to be spent on gas will increase significantly.

The question is what will be the cut-off for people?

It's the boiling frog scenario though. As long as people don't notice their disposable income dissapearing, it won't change their behaviour. They may groan and bitch about it, but it won't be enough of a shock to change their behaviour. I think this is somewhat what Hipster Duck was referring to.

The histrionics about gas also ignore or discount the possibility of cars using a different power source.

I've found that people who fall into the "sky is falling" category tend to ignore or discount human ingenuity. There have been innumerable food crises, population crises, etc., from time immemorial, and yet we're still here. It's always the same language, "this time it's really to big for us to solve", etc., etc. Yawn.

How many people actually are in a car used for commuting to work? 1? 2? 4? Ever just look around at the cars on a freeway and attempt to count the number of people in the cars. Surveys have been done showing the average number of people are between 1.3 and 1.6 per car. Just look at all the real estate they take up, for travel and for parking at all the destinations. Unfortunately, people are still being forced to use cars to get around because of low density zoning, parking lots, single-use buildings, and lack of alternatives.

As for alternate power sources, the current state of electric vehicles has performance problems because of the cold climate in Canada. See this link on Electric cars face special Canadian climate challenges. More likely, the hybrid vehicle will be the way to go in Canada. Even then, with hybrids, they will still need petroleum as a power source, especially on long distance travel.

Last edited:
If the problem is that too many people are commuting to work, then perhaps the solution would be to encourage more businesses to move out of downtown and out to places like Mississauga and Markham. We can leave downtown to all the downtown residents that want lots of parks and "walkable" spaces. The rest of us can go to work closer to our homes.

Back