The Economist: "Prisoners of ambiguity"

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
Prisoners of ambiguity
May 22nd 2008 | OTTAWA
From The Economist print edition

The government no longer helps all Canadians in trouble abroad

UNTIL recently, Canadians who ended up in a foreign jail could be confident of help. The federal government backed any request by a convicted prisoner to be repatriated to a Canadian jail. For those sentenced to death, an appeal for clemency was automatic. While consular officials would not interfere in any reputable prosecution, once sentence was passed, they would help bring Canadians home.

Stephen Harper's Conservative government has changed this. In November Stockwell Day, the minister of public safety, said he would not ask the governor of Montana in the United States to commute a death sentence against Ronald Smith, who killed two Americans during a drunken road trip in 1982. In future, no appeal would be made where Canadians were convicted by due process in a democratic country, he said. Mr Harper says intervening on behalf of double murderers sends the wrong signal to Canadians.

Maybe, but there are also pitfalls in the new approach. Governments receiving official representations—such as Saudi Arabia, where Mr Day appealed for clemency in the case of Mohamed Kohail, sentenced to beheading for killing a teenager in a 2007 schoolyard brawl—will now know that Canada considers their justice system unfair. Some Canadians reckon that their government has become complicit in capital punishment, which the country abolished for civilians in 1976.

More broadly, rather than providing an equal service to all, the government has begun to pick and choose which among the 1,815 Canadians in foreign jails it will help, complains Gar Pardy, a retired civil servant who drew up the previous consular policy. Brenda Martin, whose trial and conviction for fraud in Mexico received much media coverage in Canada, was whisked home on a government-chartered jet within days of being sentenced. Under Canadian rules, she was promptly freed on parole, having served a third of her five-year sentence.

Her treatment contrasts with that of several Canadians facing terrorism charges. Omar Khadr was arrested in Afghanistan in 2002 at the age of 15 and is due to go on trial for murdering an American soldier before a military commission at the prison camp at Guantánamo Bay this summer. The government says that any request to the United States to return Mr Khadr would be premature until his case is completed. Lieutenant-Commander William Kuebler, the American military lawyer assigned to defend him, disagrees. Canada should follow the example of other Western governments and press to repatriate his client, he says. “The guy who is facing the death penalty in Montana was tried and sentenced in a lawful justice system,†he points out. “What's going on in Guantánamo, especially with regard to Omar Khadr, is illegal.â€

Canada is not alone in exercising discretion as to which of its citizens in trouble abroad it will aid, says Amanda Cumberland, of Fair Trials International, an NGO. But unless governments explain their policy clearly, they raise suspicions that their actions are determined by media interest, politics or ideology, she adds.

A government pamphlet called “A Guide for Canadians Imprisoned Abroadâ€, setting out what consular officials will and won't do, does not include any recent changes in policy. Not much use to any Canadian who is unlucky enough to be banged up while abroad.

Brenda Martin bugged me. She sounded like such a whiner and got way too much newsplay. Perhaps she was the victim of unfortunate circumstances, I guess she's the right kind of person for the Conservatives to help.

She was indeed a whiner and to a great extent was the cause of her own misfortunes. Apparently part of the reason she was in jail so long was that she kept firing a number of lawyers. Nevertheless, as a Canadian in the somewhat doubtful Mexican justice system, she deserved our government's support. It apparently took quite a while before she received really meaningful help.

Not to mention that the Mexican judge had no choice but to find her guilty.. to have otherwise would look like they were bowing to Canadian pressure and not acting autonomously. This is exactly the same as the Conservatives now screwing over the firing of the Afghan governor by talking about it.

There was a good story on the CBC about another family who faced the same problem, and they kept their mouths shut, and got their son released in a timely and no-hassle fashion. Their word of advice to Brenda Martin was just to shut up.

But Brenda Martin got results.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

While I agree that the treatment of Omar Khadr is rather unfair, to compare an accused terrorist to a woman who went through a sketchy trial is a rather shrill comparison. The reason we aren't dealing with this kid, is because our laws are rather poorly crafted to deal with these scenarios. And note, the policy was no different under the Liberals who did nothing to get him out either. Nor is public opinion on this kid's side. After all, does anybody really wanna have the Khadr's as neighbours? And Omar in particular?

Some folks in Canada do not use sense when they make their travel choices.

I mean, if you fled Vietnam and escaped to Canada, why the heck would you go back, only to get yourself arrested and executed by the same government you fled in the first place? http://canadaonline.about.com/library/weekly/aa043000a.htm

Or, if you flee Iran for safety and citizenship in Canada, why go back to the same place you were fleeing? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081120.wiran20/BNStory/Technology/home

yes, some people stupid. Canada shouldn't bother trying to free them or save their lives. Natural population control, natural selection. Nothing wrong with that.

yes, some people stupid. Canada shouldn't bother trying to free them or save their lives. Natural population control, natural selection. Nothing wrong with that.
That's a little harsh I think. Certainly, people need to take personal responsibility, but I still believe we should try to help them.

While I agree that the treatment of Omar Khadr is rather unfair, to compare an accused terrorist to a woman who went through a sketchy trial is a rather shrill comparison. The reason we aren't dealing with this kid, is because our laws are rather poorly crafted to deal with these scenarios. And note, the policy was no different under the Liberals who did nothing to get him out either. Nor is public opinion on this kid's side. After all, does anybody really wanna have the Khadr's as neighbours? And Omar in particular?

What, the secret military trials in Gitmo, Cuba, aren't sketchy? I'll live next door to Omar, perhaps not his wacko family though.

Romeo Dallaire says Omar Khadr is worthy of Canadian intervention.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...13/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostemail

^ I'll take Omar as my neighbour. What scares me more is someone who thinks Guantanomo military tribunals are models of due process becoming my neighbour.

Cuba: Fidel lucid and still wearing bad tracksuits

Chile's Bachelet says Fidel Castro 'looking good'
7 hours ago
HAVANA (AFP) — Chilean President Michelle Bachelet said former Cuban leader Fidel Castro was in "very good condition" following a 90 minute meeting between the two in Havana.

"I have met with Fidel Castro, he is in very good condition, we had a long conversation for an hour and a half," Bachelet told reporters.
Her three-day visit to Cuba is the first by a Chilean leader in more than three decades.

Bachelet -- a doctor by training -- said that Castro was "very active" and was lucid. "He knew all the most important details" about a range of topics she said.

"He was very interested in topics concerning Chile, analyzing information, statistics and interested in hearing about areas in which we have had success," she added.

Back