News   Mar 28, 2024
 99     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 170     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 

The Climate Change Thread

After all, what else are they doing?
They're not sitting around waiting for some province that's neglected its infrastructure and healthcare in the face of decades of warning about climate change and pandemics to come calling.

Here's a sample of where the CAF men and women are.... https://www.canada.ca/en/department...itary-operations/current-operations/list.html

Current Ops.jpg

@kEiThZ as our one ex-CAF member here, do you agree?

IMO, when you have to call in the military to fix your flooded-out roads and change your seniors' diapers you know you've let yourself go as a province.

Last edited:
🤣😂😅
IMG_20220110_205505.jpg

also what I don't like about this climate change claim that sea level will rise ,then the same Millionaires and & Billionaires like Bill Gates, Obama & others etc....are buying up waterfront mansions , seems like a bad investment if you believe sea levels will rise lol...

Last edited:
🤣😂😅
View attachment 379705
also what I don't like about this climate change claim that sea level will rise ,then the same Millionaires and & Billionaires like Bill Gates, Obama & others etc....are buying up waterfront mansions , seems like a bad investment if you believe sea levels will rise lol...
Well, he is...
main-qimg-478c1f4d47079259bd3d5a5ac6b8129d
From link.

🤣😂😅
View attachment 379705
while there is definitely some hypocrisy on DiCaprio's part, it isn't his yacht. It belongs to Ernesto Bertarelli.

Training for our actual jobs. You watch the news lately?
I agree that we need something between "volunteers" and "military" in the job. That being said, I don't think that disaster relief is a significant burden on military training.

I'm not informed at all about military training though, so I will see what others have to say on the subject of training.

That being said, I don't think that disaster relief is a significant burden on military training.
When it becomes a regular line of tasking it does. Military training isn't just doing pushups and situps and shooting at paper targets on a range. The Army, for example, had to scale back division level training last year, to help with COVID and wild fires. What is division level training? The prep to take on a near-peer adversary (like Russia).

Several of our generals have now told Parliament that our operational tempo is too high and the military doesn't have enough bodies to do all the things it's asked to do. Combine that with obsolete equipment, aging force, high attrition, and we have huge issues.

But sure, spare time to fight fires every year because Canadians don't understand what the CAF does and are too cheap to fund proper firefighting.

We have an expected timeline for onshore coal power generation in Australia based on expected end-of-economic life/use by dates - in 15 years more than 50% of nameplate capacity will be gone - i.e this is business as usual, the plants just will not make economic sense under current operational environment. That operational environment can be tweaked to make things work faster... but yes, you can't just shut down an entire industry overnight.

grattan-coal-closure.jpg

shorter timeframe, but shows the specific power stations over next 20 years (Loy Yang A and B from the chart above aren't on this one, but will likely be the last major operating generators - after Yallourn closes in 2030, they'll be the only ones left in Vic):

figure_1.png
Progress in Oz re. renewable vs. coal.

^ it's all over for fossil fuels with the change in Federal Government.

We're likely to be 80% renewables by 2030 (which is a key component of the soon-to-be legislated 43% Paris targets).

Here in Victoria, the state gov has unveiled plans for a minimum of 9GW of offshore wind by 2040 (first power circa 2028 as there's only one truly advanced project currently underway - Star of the South - but there's now at least 5 projects mooted in eastern Bass Strait).

We have ~3.5GW of onshore wind operating plus another ~3.5GW of various onshore wind projects at various stages of development + an ongoing state gov programme to put solar panels on roofs.

We also hit all-time onshore wind record recently with 60% of demand briefly being met by onshore wind and we're also finally building transmission again after 30+ years.

Fossil fuel generation is dead, long time renewables.

No other country with nuclear weapons and a space program is asking the West for aid. Why not spend the nuke and space toy fund on flood resistant infrastructure?

On SSP it was pointed out that Pakistan is a haven for the Taliban, other extremists, and is often friendly to China and/or hostile to the West. Aid could be tied to the end of the Islamic terrorist safehavens, or something else.

And for my conspiracy theory of the day, I've suspected that kEiThZ and True North on SSP are the same person. LOL.

(Edit: this is why I shouldn't post when I'm about to go to bed. I promise I won't do that in the future)

Last edited:
On SSP it was pointed out that Pakistan is a haven for the Taliban, other extremists, and is often friendly to China and/or hostile to the West. Aid could be tied to the end of the Islamic terrorist safehavens, or something else.

And for my conspiracy theory of the day, I've suspected that kEiThZ and True North on SSP are the same person. LOL.
One could argue the world would be a better place if Pakistan slipped into the sea forever like Atlantis. If I'm directing Canada's foreign aid the priorities are helping our friends, and IMO that includes foremost Ukraine.

Back