News   Aug 09, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 803     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.6K     3 

The Climate Change Thread

Antarctica may have just seen the continent's hottest day on record

Friday, February 7th 2020, 7:00 pm - Normally frigid Antarctica just experienced a day of 't-shirt' weather

From link.

Antarctica is experiencing summertime right now, but even summer in the polar continent is still quite cold, with temperatures typically just above freezing. Just this week, scientists working there recorded the hottest daily high temperature they have ever seen.

On February 6, 2020, Argentina's National Meteorological Service (SMN) recorded a daily high temperature of 18.3°C at Esperanza Base, at the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula.

This is nearly 15 degrees Celcius warmer than the average daily high seen at the base during the month of February. It is now logged as the highest temperature ever recorded at the station during the entire year. It beats out the previous daily high temperature for the year of 17.5°C, recorded on March 24, 2015.

On Twitter, SMN Argentina posted (translated from Spanish): "This noon the Base #Esperanza recorded a new historical record (since 1961) of temperature, with 18.3°C. This value exceeds the previous record of 17.5°C on March 24, 2015. And it was not the only record."

"Base #Marambio It also recorded the highest temperature for the month of February since 1971. It reached 14.1°C and exceeded 13.8°C on February 24, 2013."

The temperature of 14.2°C shown in the image posted by SMN Argentina was not the daily high recorded, however. That was apparently 15.8°C, as pointed out in a reply by Oficina Meteorológica Metropolitana (OFIMET Argentina).

Now, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is in the process of evaluating this February 6 temperature of 18.3°C. If they confirm it, it will rank as the highest temperature ever recorded for the entire Antarctic continent.

"Everything we have seen thus far indicates a likely legitimate record, but we will of course begin a formal evaluation of the record once we have full data from SMN and on the meteorological conditions surrounding the event," said Randall Cerveny, the WMO's Weather and Climate Extremes rapporteur.

"The record appears to be likely associated (in the short term) with what we call a regional 'foehn' event over the area," Cerveny said in a WMO press release.

'Foehn' is the German term for the same meteorological conditions as Chinook winds, describing air that warms during its descent down the slopes of a mountain.

Compared to the rest of the world, which has seen a temperature rise of roughly 1.2°C since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the Antarctic Peninsula has been warming at roughly three times that rate.

According to the WMO, the current record high temperature for the entire Antarctic region (the continent and all islands south of 60 degrees latitude) is 19.8°C. This was seen in January of 1982, on Signy Island, over 660 kilometres to the northeast of Esperanza Base.

From Planetizen, at this link:

2020 Energy Infrastructure Predictions

Planners can expect changes in the energy industry to influence preparations for the future of cities and communities.

With 2020 is in its early stages, now is an ideal time to take a look at trends that will likely shape this year and have a prolonged impact in the future. Here's an examination of energy infrastructure predictions that could affect other kinds of infrastructures and influence city planning.
1. A Solar Energy Boom Will Begin
In 2019, the Solar Energy Industry Association (SEIA) called 2020-2030 the Solar+ Decade. It also laid out a plan for producing 20% of U.S. electricity with solar power, although it accounts for only 2.4% now. Solar will not see its full potential this year, but one of the energy industry's prominent changes for 2020 is exponential growth in specific regions of the United States.
For example, California mandated that almost all homes built from 2020 onward must get at least some of their power from the sun. City planners in the state must be aware of this new development, and professionals working elsewhere should keep an eye on the possibility of state legislators elsewhere approving similar regulations.
2. Utility Providers Will Assist With Creating Smarter, Cleaner Cities
Savvy developers are aware of the profitable demand in the energy industry to push boundaries and create more innovative energy solutions. For example, many buildings have built-in eco-friendly aspects so people won't have to retrofit them later. Also, many garbage management companies put sensors on receptacles, enabling maintenance crews to get real-time alerts about when to empty them.
A selection of 2020 predictions from Deloitte mentions that utility providers won't want to get left behind as "smart city" innovations gain momentum. Many of them will actively search for and seize opportunities to work alongside municipal planning teams to bring ideas to life.
The Deloitte coverage also discusses how many utility providers have already aided the installation of smart grid infrastructures and meters. However, many utilities will move beyond these initial steps and use their expertise to contribute to other smart city projects, such as car charging stations and solar parking canopies.
3. Oil and Gas Companies Will Continue Digital Transformations
The United States is forecast to provide 70% of the rise in global oil production and 75% of the increase in natural gas by 2024. Keeping pace with this increased oil supply requires making significant alterations, some of which are already underway. One of the most substantial changes in the energy industry for 2020 relates to digital transformation.
The oil and gas industry has historically lagged regarding its willingness to embrace digital transformation options. However, as evidence shows that digitizing operations can save money and avoid downtime, many entities in the sector realize there is no time to waste.
For example, failing to use compiled data for decision-making could cut into revenues. Companies recognize a digital transformation is profitable and relevant.
In smart cities, some digital initiatives for the gas sector have improved customer safety and provided more visibility into overall usage. Multiple options allow for real-time and continuous corrosion monitoring. As the oil and gas field keeps moving forward into the technological era, city officials will have more chances to collaborate with businesses and evaluate how high-tech solutions can help all parties involved.
4. Geopolitical Risks Could Create Supply Shortages
Analysts believe there is a "probable" threat of attacks against energy infrastructure due to escalated tension between the United States and the Middle East. They released this information shortly after U.S. forces killed Qasem Soleimani, a top Iranian general, and Iran retaliated by striking a U.S. military base. Although the situation is now simmering, it's still possible that tempers could flare, and destructive actions may occur.
If this happens, oil prices will rise, and people might stop ignoring the escalating tensions. Even before Soleimani's death, the oil markets persistently ignored the tensions in the Middle East and often wrote off incidents as isolated happenings. Reducing U.S. dependency on foreign oil during a potential supply shortage will not be a quick process, but it can and should be a matter of importance in 2020.
As a result, utility companies bidding on and winning smart city contracts could become even more prominent. One of the top reasons why utility suppliers partner with smart city teams is to boost their revenue, but achieving more electricity independence can be another positive outcome to anticipate.
5. Fossil Fuels Will Remain Dominant Even as Renewables Gain Momentum
2020 will likely be a year when renewable energy sources grab a larger share of the market, but not enough to upset fossil fuel dominance.
Although coal production is down, oil and gas manufacturing levels have gone up, according to the Pew Research Center. The organization also noted that although solar power experienced the most substantial percentage growth of all renewables, it still accounts for only a tiny portion of the market.
Hydropower is the biggest renewable power source in the United States, as the Pew Research Center data showed. However, it still only comprises 2.8% of the market, which is far less than any fossil fuel.
City planners should keep this fact in mind as they launch new projects or work on existing ones. There's certainly no harm in using renewables in municipalities, but people should not expect renewables to surpass fossil fuels anytime soon.
Energy Industry Predictions Worth Studying
Any changes in the energy industry for 2020 could have a ripple effect on other kinds of infrastructure. City planners, infrastructure developers and similar professionals should remain aware of what happens in this sector and ponder what those developments might mean for their work.

NSFW or whatever (seriously, you need a better work environment)

I swear I'm not just posting these because the lady looks like an ex of mine who I'm still friends with over a decade later.

They're topical innit...aaaand are funny and honest and put it perfectly.

Thoughts and prayers.

EU emissions fell by 160 million tonnes or 5% last year from a year earlier due to more use of natural gas and wind power in electricity generation

From link.

Global carbon dioxide emissions from power production flattened last year to 33 gigatonnes after two years of increase, despite expectations of another rise as the world economy expanded, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said on Tuesday.

The growth of renewable energy and fuel switching from coal to natural gas led to less emissions from advanced economies. Milder weather in several countries and slower economic growth in some emerging markets also contributed, the agency said.

"We now need to work hard to make sure that 2019 is remembered as a definitive peak in global emissions, not just another pause in growth," said Fatih Birol, the IEA's executive director.
The significant fall in emissions in advanced economies offset growth elsewhere. Emissions from the power sector in advanced economies fell to levels last seen in the late 1980s, when electricity demand was one third lower than today, the IEA said.

European Union emissions fell by 160 million tonnes or 5% last year from a year earlier due to more use of natural gas and wind power in electricity generation.

The United States recorded fall of 140 million tonnes or 2.9% in emissions from the previous year.

Japan's emissions fell by 45 million tonnes, or around 4%, as output from recently restarted nuclear reactors increased.

But emissions in the rest of the world increased by nearly 400 million tonnes in 2019, with almost 80% of the growth coming from countries in Asia where coal-fired power generation continued to rise.

(Reporting by Nina Chestney; Editing by Andrew Heavens and Jane Merriman)

Canada hasn't even released their 2018 ghg emmisions, have they?.
I guess it shows how little they care about ghg - measuring success by the value of the tax, and not in terms of tonnes of carbon.

Well, if we were measuring success by the value of the tax then we'd still have shit to show for it as the tax is much too low to have the impact necessary.

You know, if we were taking this shit seriously. Which we're not.

I know all about human psychology and why short-term selfish interests trump anything else, so I know why most people don't give a toss.

God forbid the cost of cheap plastic trinkets from Asia goes up!!! Heaven forfend!! If people stopped worrying about the shit they don't need and started worrying about the shit they do need (food, shelter) maybe they'd learn to allocate their resources in a more efficient way thereby reducing any personal impact on their finances.

No, stupid me.....five cars a suburban household is a right. So is driving an 8 cylinder pickup truck to the office.

Don't blame the carbon tax for these idiots. Causation, mate.....you know....you're an engineer. :)

At the provincial level emissions are falling in all provinces in Canada as well despite much more aggressive population growth than Europe. To be frank the trouble is Alberta and to a lesser extent Saskatchewan. The main thing the EU has going for it is it's population is becoming really old fast.

We were speaking the other day, in this thread, of rising oceans, and the need for relocation.

The NY Times has an article here discussing and comparing just this situation, already, in San Francisco and in Manila.

NSFW or whatever (seriously, you need a better work environment)

I swear I'm not just posting these because the lady looks like an ex of mine who I'm still friends with over a decade later.

They're topical innit...aaaand are funny and honest and put it perfectly.

Thoughts and prayers.

I love her. Thanks for introducing us to this site.

We were speaking the other day, in this thread, of rising oceans, and the need for relocation.

The NY Times has an article here discussing and comparing just this situation, already, in San Francisco and in Manila.

Nevermind San Fran - look up Bangkok and Jakarta, which are going to be wrecks in the making given twin effects of subsidence from groundwater withdrawl AND rising sea levels.

AoD

Nevermind San Fran - look up Bangkok and Jakarta, which are going to be wrecks in the making given twin effects of subsidence from groundwater withdrawl AND rising sea levels.

AoD
Honourable mention to Shanghai as well, which might be the first of the bunch to experience huge issues relating to rising sea levels.

At the provincial level emissions are falling in all provinces in Canada as well despite much more aggressive population growth than Europe. To be frank the trouble is Alberta and to a lesser extent Saskatchewan. The main thing the EU has going for it is it's population is becoming really old fast.

Wait, wait, wait....you sure, mate? From the last graph I saw, emissions are NOT falling in Alberta or Saskatchewan. Am I misremembering what I read? The source was a Globe and Mail article from approximately a month or so ago.

I love her. Thanks for introducing us to this site.

Isn't it the best?! hahaha.....I love these videos. I mean they speak my language, and I don't mean English.

They're just perfectly honest and are nobody's fools. Brilliant stuff.

Don't thank me, thank them for existing. I already sent them a note.

Back