News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 826     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.7K     3 

The Climate Change Thread

^ you lost yourself, bruv.....Peterson is a good and proper head and shoulders above those other losers. Not even comparable. You clearly haven't listened to anything he's been on about if you're comparing him to Murphy, Levant, and Goldy and are basing your opinion on a reactionary emotional response to very select things you've been told about the dude by the usual suspects.

I'm not even a fan of his but you're just embarrassing yourself here.

He's definitely in the pantheon of most embarrassing and downright stupid Canadian media pundits in existence today--along with Jordan Peterson, Faith Goldy, Ezra Levant and a few others whose names escape me right now.
Peterson was a professor at Harvard...

He is legit he just says some stuff you dont like and I dont like.

HOWEVER most of peterson says is rather harmless and I am sure obama or some celebrity quoted some of his words people would be in a collective circle jerk showring praise on twitter.

Be honest the only reason Peterson became so famous is because his opponents made him into some nazi and they go on yotube they hear some prof talking about who is your real friend and think "um dont see what the issue is"

I have a theory that the media and politicians are sanctifying Greta thornberg to appear they are doing something on climate change to the public then actual policies.

In other news, Rex Murphy claims the following:
  • Creationism is true because he cannot find an animal that shares the characteristics of both cats and dogs and he is unable to understand how bombardier beetles come to be
  • Ancient aliens must exist because he says that Stonehenge is too difficult to build by ancient Britons, the Pyramids cannot be built by ancient Egyptians, and the Chinese were not capable of building the Great Wall (and according to Murphy, the Great Wall is obviously not built by the Chinese, since the structure has battlements, which are absent from all other Chinese structures)
  • There's a huge subterranean city made out of pure gold existing under Toronto inhabited by millions of dwarves since his house's basement has a tunnel that leads to that city (and he refuses anyone to enter his basement); the city is so deep, no satellite can detect it.

He always looked and acted like a creepy freak.

Peterson was a professor at Harvard...

That's a fallacy known as argument from authority. That he is a professor at Harvard does not mean what he said is the truth even in his field by default - much less outside of it.

As to Greta Thunberg, I am not a fan of elevating her as a living symbol myself. I understand the need for charismatic leaders to speak out - but I think it's overdone - it isn't about one person and her voice.

AoD

Last edited:
He's definitely in the pantheon of most embarrassing and downright stupid Canadian media pundits in existence today--along with Jordan Peterson, Faith Goldy, Ezra Levant and a few others whose names escape me right now.

.....Peterson is a good and proper head and shoulders above those other losers. Not even comparable. You clearly haven't listened to anything he's been on about if you're comparing him to Murphy, Levant, and Goldy and are basing your opinion on a reactionary emotional response to very select things you've been told about the dude by the usual suspects.

I'm not even a fan of his but you're just embarrassing yourself here.

Your both right, sort of! LOL

I don't know him as a friend at all, but we briefly met, and argued, some time ago............so far as I'm concerned, he lost. :p

First off, he certainly can't be characterized as racist, or misogynist, so let's set that type of Faith-Goldy Association aside.

Second, let's be clear that 'stupid' as the word is normally used is entirely inappropriate in Peterson's case. He can be articulate, knowledgeable and highly analytical.

Now, let's address the other shoe.........he does have very large intellectual blind spots. So far as I know his 'faith' is sincere, and entirely inconsistent w/the science he would otherwise cite.

He knows this, and simply writes it off.

Further, he often gets his facts right, but his conclusions wrong. He has rightly argued, for instance, that the 'gender pay gap' is not a function of discrimination by employers, to any great extent (at least not based on sex, per se)

He does a good job correctly explaining why those gaps occur (home gender roles, parental leave, male selfishness, but also male's lesser risk aversion/greater self-confidence, misplaced or otherwise).

He then wrongly concludes that that is all just fine, so the pay gap need not be addressed further.

He is very hyperbole prone; and to be clear he is the definition of a provocateur, not to mention a self-promoter.

That's not all bad, I rather enjoy poking lazy thinkers myself.

But, it does lead to a tendency to say things he doesn't entirely believe in order to generate controversy that will boost his profile and book sales.

He is also very prone to a dichotomous world view (see things in black and white, more than shades of grey); something I consider a serious intellectual sin.

Germany has to replace about 65% of it’s electricity production to go fossil fuel and nuclear free. It seems counterproductive as well to substitute gas for nuclear in this sense not to mention giving Russia the power to turn off Germany’s industrial complex at will.

That's a fallacy known as argument from authority. That he is a professor at Harvard does not mean what he said is the truth even in his field by default - much less outside of it.

As to Greta Thunberg, I am not a fan of elevating her as a living symbol myself. I understand the need for charismatic leaders to speak out - but I think it's overdone - it isn't about one person and her voice.

AoD

True but he is a professor of psychology so that makes him qualified to talk about psychology though...does not mean he is correct but equating him to alt right types is silly.

Let's be honest here

A lot of people who say Peterson is ALT right like Alex Jones are the same people who get their world view shaped by some random person on twitter sharing memes. Hypocrisy much lol...

I think it's rather evident that in our current political climate that we like to elevate random people on the Internet or certain personalities as telling the truth simply because they say what we like rather than looking at what they say is correct or not.

Now the issue is why is Peterson so popular...

I know many young males who are not incels or neckbeards listen to jordan Peterson a lot. I think it's because Peterson offers a different perspective on established norms and that is a novelty to many. Additionally he looks that what does it mean to be a man in the modern world and frankly hardly any intellectual effort is put in this field currently.

As a result he sort of has a monopoly in that field.

True but he is a professor of psychology so that makes him qualified to talk about psychology though...does not mean he is correct but equating him to alt right types is silly.

Let's be honest here

A lot of people who say Peterson is ALT right like Alex Jones are the same people who get their worldwide shaped by some random person on twitter sharing memes.

I think it's rather evident that in our current political climate that we like to elevate random people on the Internet or certain personalities as telling the truth simply because they say what we like rather than looking at what they say is correct or not.

There is no "true but..." argument - what you have pulled is literally a logical fallacy - and is he really talking about just psychology when it touches on so many other disciplines? Honesty requires good faith, and I am not sure if that's evident when you start off with a fallacy.

AoD

There is no "true but..." argument - what you have pulled is literally a logical fallacy - and is he really talking about just psychology when it touches on so many other disciplines? Honestly requires good faith, and I am not sure if that's evident here.when you start off with a fallacy.

AoD
Serious you dismiss anything I say with it's a fallacy is a fallacy in itself at this point.

I I noticed people who do this are just trying to be condescending but not be rude about it.

Serious you dismiss anything I say with it's a fallacy is a fallacy in itself at this point.

I I noticed people who do this are just trying to be condescending but not be rude about it.

Then don't get caught name-dropping and then push false equivocation (expert in one field = expert in all fields)

AoD

Then don't get caught name-dropping and then push false equivocation (expert in one field = expert in all fields)

AoD
Frankly if you read what I actually wrote then just dismissing everything i say in a condescending tone as a logical fallacy...

You would see that I said that as Professor Jordan Peterson is a professor of psychology he is qualified to talk about psychology.

I did not ever say that he automatically correct in all things.

In all other fields he is just a political pundit like some random person that appears on TV. He is just rather articulate and well-spoken and as a result get a following.

Frankly if you read what I actually wrote then just dismissing everything i say in a condescending tone as a logical fallacy...

You would see that I said that as Professor Jordan Peterson is a professor of psychology he was qualified to talk about psychology.

I did not ever say that he automatically correct in all things.

That's not what you have said - quoting your message:

Peterson was a professor at Harvard...(a)
He is legit he just says some stuff you dont like and I dont like.(b)

You literally presented a) he is an expert and implied b) that any disagreement on what he has said is based on personal likes or dislikes because he is legit. Now if you had restricted that strictly on psychology that might be true, but I think it is patently obviously that he had extended himself far, far beyond his expertise.

Let's put it this way, I am getting the impression that he is seen as a Guru more than anything else.

AoD

That's not what you have said - quoting your message:

You literally presented a) he is an expert and implied b) that any disagreement on what he has said is based on personal likes or dislikes.

AoD
No I would assume as you are an intelligent person would know that Professor Jordan Peterson isn't seen as an all-knowing God in eveything but as an expert in psychology

Lol ???

Back