News   May 03, 2024
 958     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 589     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 281     0 

The Climate Change Thread

Canada, USA and Europe should put a carbon tax on all Chinese and Subcontinent imports.
This article suggests not putting a climate tariff in place would encourage us to buy off shore.

"For example, making a ton of steel in China and shipping it here emits five times as much carbon as manufacturing it at Evraz in Regina. A federal carbon tax without border adjustments would increase the cost of Regina steel, encouraging Canadians to instead buy dirtier steel from China. By contrast, a Canadian carbon tax with a corresponding carbon tariff would increase the price of imported Chinese steel more than Regina steel, creating an environmentally appropriate incentive for Canadians to buy local. Evraz would have an incentive to minimize its emissions to maximize this competitive advantage."

Provincial Liberal leadership candidate Michael Couteau has unveiled his signature climate change commitment.

Free public transit, phased in over a decade.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...blic-transit-to-help-curb-climate-change.html

I'll wander by his website shortly to see if there's any detailed policy analysis.

Its a fine idea, but you need the physical capacity on transit to support major ridership growth, as well as the need to finance enough operating service.

I would suggest the utility of such a move would require something like 50% ridership growth province wide across.

That would mean a the cost in Toronto would grow substantially as it would represent something like a 40% increase in the current subsidy, not including the foregone revenues.

There may be a case for this, but it needs to proven out.

Michael Coteau does not understand then that the reason why people don't take public transit is not because of the price, but because it doesn't work for them.

It matters not if the price is free (which everyone knows is bullshit, it comes out of our taxes) if it doesn't take us to where we are going when we want to go there. If the experience of using the transit is horrid too, people will take the car. Flooding the TTC with free fares will just make the experience unbearable for many people, to the point that those between Eglinton and Bloor may decide that they actually would prefer switching FROM transit mode to automobiles, in order to avoid crush loads.

If you want to encourage transit usage, you need to expand transit access. This could mean reducing fares, but save that policy idea for GO Transit (where a fare-by-distance might have a strong positive impact on ridership). But by far and large, this means expanding transit service through more frequent routes, and by actually committing funding to transit projects like the Relief Line.

I think it would really help politicians and the public alike if we collectively stopped looking at transit as an alternative to automobiles, and more so as expanding access to the job market. It is not a nice-to-have, it is something that is integral to our economic competitiveness as a city and region to the benefit of everyone.

Flooding the TTC with free fares will just make the experience unbearable for many people,
Indeed. I almost always am willing to pay more to avoid the crowds and rabble. Making the TTC free will turn it into a shelter for the city's homeless, addicted and insane. That's why I am against free access to the Toronto Islands, as its pay to play keeps a lot of people away. Also why I like Costco and membership/pay-only access in general, as it thins the crowds and keeps out the crazies.

In some transit systems they have different classes, where if you pay more, you get more space between you and your fellow citizen.... addressing one of the reasons we prefer cars over mass transit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_class_commuter_transport_services

Last edited:
Venice floods: Climate change behind highest tide in 50 years, says mayor

Severe flooding in Venice that has left much of the Italian city under water is a direct result of climate change, the mayor says.

Venice floods: Climate change behind highest tide in 50 years, says mayor

Severe flooding in Venice that has left much of the Italian city under water is a direct result of climate change, the mayor says.

And then other times the ties are too low. This city must adapt or cease to be, same as the rest of us.

And then other times the ties are too low. This city must adapt or cease to be, same as the rest of us.

Quite the laissez-faire attitude towards one of the world's most significant and treasured cultural sites.

Quite the laissez-faire attitude towards one of the world's most significant and treasured cultural sites.

Well, London UK is next. Anyways, in the case of Venice this tragedy is entirely preventable - and it is a failure of governance that caused it, considering the MOSE barrier project is already underway, only to get tied up with delays, corruption, etc.

AoD

Last edited:
Well, London UK is next. Anyways, in the case of Venice this tragedy is entirely preventable - and it is a failure of governance that caused it, considering the MOSE barrier project is already underway, only to get tied up with delays, corruption, etc.

AoD

I haven't heard of the MOSE barrier project - what is it?

And yes, Italian politics is well known for its convoluted nature...

I haven't heard of the MOSE barrier project - what is it?

And yes, Italian politics is well known for its convoluted nature...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSE_Project

03_movimento_paratoie.jpg

Venice floods: 'City on its knees'

Italy's government will declare a state of emergency on Thursday as water levels in Venice remain high. Damage costs are now being estimated at hundreds of millions of euros.

Back