221     3 
News   May 31, 2024
 872     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 698     0 

The Canada Site goes Conservative?

B

bizorky

Right now, the Canada Site (Canada.gc.ca) is the the federal government internet portal for accessing sevices and information on line. It is part of the successful Government Online Initiative, which has received considerable international recognition. The purpose of the Canada Site is to offer a "one stop shopping" approach to getting those service and information offered by the government.

Over the next few weeks to few months, there is a very big possibility that the site will be modified considerably in order to feature and promote the political activities of the Conservative government. It will look much more the Prime Ministers web site, and will de-emphasize the service offerings to be found on the site as it presently is. The strong emphasis on red and white colours, and the rolling Canadian flag, will vanish and be replaced by considerably more blue (shades of the infamous massive blue ink purchases of the Mulrooney era).

They definitely should have a set of ethical standards regarding the use of government website for partisan purposes.

As I recall, Mike Harris et. al. worked it to the max with its' multimillion dollar PR budget (in the times of deficit, no less, to "better inform the citizenry"). Mind you, the current Liberals aren't all that much better when it comes to press releases - everything starts with "Premier McGuinity". Barf. At least we don't have the blantantly blue background in the ads anymore.

AoD

^Funny, but I was thinking the same thing. The new website look will probably resemble the Ontario site much more. The sad thing is that services will come to be de-emphasized in the process; they will begin to look like a second thought.

bizorky:

Services? What services at the Federal level? (Stephen Harper's Manifesto on the Confed.) I suppose each item on the menu bar would now start with "How to apply for a tax credit in...?"

Mind you, considering how difficult it is to find information on ALL governmental websites (each should earn a Webby Award for effective obfustication of users)...

AoD

If you check the site you can find the services that are available. A person can apply for E.I, file for pension benefits (and automatically be considered for all benefits), do taxes and so on. The idea is to create a site that would offer on line access to all federal services and information along with automatic links to similar provincial offerings (and eventually municipal). Part of the evolution of government on line is the Service Canada initiative.

As for Harper, remember that he has done very little as of now. He is still in the process of getting his government up and running. Altering the government web site is an easy thing for them to do as it goes without notice. A "party-free" government service site will be going political.

As for the Ontario site, someone should tell McGuinty to do up his tie and put on a jacket. The shlub "I'm working in my office" look doesn't work on him.

If any of you took a look at the old Canada Site one week ago, you would have found a service-centred web site.

Take a look now!

The site has been taken over as a political board for the new conservative government.

My contacts in the Public Service tell me that the business of government (every day management) is under extreme pressure to reflect the political platform of the Conservatives.

In the six years of developing Government On-Line, the aim was to create a service-centred environment that was to be free of party politics. That aim is now dead.

Hmm, red, white and blue. The only thing missing are stars...lots of it.

Interesting what those talk of "accountability" would do, once they're at the helm.

AoD

The old Canada website was repeatedly rated the best governmental site in the world.

The only site that is blue is the PMO. GOvernance of that site does not fall under Treasury Board standards. The liberals had their own customizations.

Yest the GoC web sites due suck the big cheese ball.

They made the gc.ca website blue, too, and instead of services, the highlight is Harper's five priorities. I found the federal government websites to be often difficult to navigate, but amazingly packed with information.

Actually, the Canada Site under the Liberals had no political interference whatsoever. The Government On Line initiative was always intended as a service for Canadian Citizens, Non-Canadians and Businesses who could do one-stop shopping in seeking out the relevant information they required. It was never intended or set up as an avenue for partisan activity. The same was true for the evolving Service Canada portal; it was always intended as a service window, not as site for political pronouncements or press agentry. The only "political" link in the past was the one that put you onto the PM's site.

Imagine dialing 1-800 O Canada and getting a five minute rundown on the latest doings of Harper and the Conservatives government. Or think of going to a Canadian government service kiosk and having to listen to the service agent go on for minutes describing the Conservatives five priorities. You probably would not like it. So why should a government service website be politicized to such a degree?

During the course of these changes, there were dictates as to how much of the page would be dedicated to the Conservative activities and priorities. There was little interest shown to how the site could be accessed for services and so on. The emphasis on red and white (the colours of the Canadian flag), the "rolling" Canadian flag, and the Canada wordmark were all removed as they were viewed as being identified with the Liberal party.

This is a government bent of controlling and constraining information.

Back