News   May 03, 2024
 503     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 320     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 180     0 

The best buildings in Toronto since 1989?

AlexBozikovic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey, everyone...

Alex Bozikovic here from The Globe and Mail. (Longtime UT lurker; you might know me by another name.) I'm working on a book - a new edition of Toronto Architecture: A City Guide by Patricia McHugh, which was last published in 1989. It's a set of walking tours of downtown plus Rosedale.

I'm updating the book in two ways: 1. To cover Etobicoke/York/North York/Scarborough, plus a few items from the 905, and 2. To add everything important in the core since 1989. No big deal.

So, I ask you:

- What are the most important, influential, or interesting buildings in central Toronto since 1989?
- Outside the core (north of Yorkville, west of Bathurst, east of Parliament) - what are the most important buildings of all time? Which buildings or landscapes best represent phases of the city's history and development?

Thoughtful suggestions will earn a thank you in the book...

Thanks, all.

In the burbs, have to give the nod to the new Scarborough District Library.

Even if I have some qualms with the design, Moriyama's Scaborough Civic Ctr is noteworthy.

The Aga Khan facility needs to be discussed.

Hey, everyone...

Alex Bozikovic here from The Globe and Mail. (Longtime UT lurker; you might know me by another name.) I'm working on a book - a new edition of Toronto Architecture: A City Guide by Patricia McHugh, which was last published in 1989. It's a set of walking tours of downtown plus Rosedale.

I'm updating the book in two ways: 1. To cover Etobicoke/York/North York/Scarborough, plus a few items from the 905, and 2. To add everything important in the core since 1989. No big deal.

So, I ask you:

- What are the most important, influential, or interesting buildings in central Toronto since 1989?
- Outside the core (north of Yorkville, west of Bathurst, east of Parliament) - what are the most important buildings of all time? Which buildings or landscapes best represent phases of the city's history and development?

Thoughtful suggestions will earn a thank you in the book...

Thanks, all.

The update is best news ever - glad to hear it is happening! If there is a place to pre-order please share with us!

Beyond the obvious big institutional projects (ROM, AGO, etc; U of T - CCBR, etc; Bridgepoint) - Integral House and the Sisters of St. Joseph Care Home comes right off to mind, plus a smattering of Shim-Sutcliffe projects - eg. Craven Road House.

TPL buildings - beyond the new Scarborough City Centre branch - also Gladstone, Fort York, Pape, etc.

Condo architecture - early aA works (eg. Indigo, 20 Niagara), Spire, 77 Charles, Hudson, Parade, etc.

Can French Quarter be added just as an example of period bad architecture?

AoD

Last edited:
I was also going to mention Sisters of St. Joseph.

In the core, Ryerson Student Learning Centre is an obvious one. 60 Richmond is great. River City. Gardiner Museum. Lillian H. Smith Library.

If you're including adaptive reuse, Summerhill LCBO and Wychwood Barns. Quite fond of the Bloor/Gladstone Library too.

More -
Umbra store on Queen West (Kohn Shiner)
Picasso (Teeple)
Eatonville Library (Teeple)
Centennial College Athletic and Wellness Centre (Kongats)
ARC at UTSC (MacKay Lyons)
Computer Science Bldg at York U (Busby + aA)
Absolute (MAD)
The smattering of buildings at old Lakeshore Psychiatric.

AoD

Last edited:
More -
Umbra store on Queen West (Kohn Shiner)
Picasso (Teeple)
Eatonville Library (Teeple)
Centennial College Athletic and Wellness Centre (Kongats)
ARC at UTSC (MacKay Lyons)
Computer Science Bldg at York U (Busby + aA)
Absolute (MAD)

AoD

Got me thinking about Libraries again. I quite like Lillian H. Smith. (1995)

By the time you publish, certainly One Bloor East will be complete and will deserve a mention. A mention of all-time important architecture east of Parliament definitely needs to include The Hearn and the RC Harris Water Plant.

Walk 1:
7b: note of the new courtyard between 7b and the condo to the north should be made, including the inlaid "stamps".
17: odd that there's no mention on Peter Dickinson, and you'll have to add a note about the L Tower.
I think it's also worth working The Esplanade and Market Street into the walk. Market Wharf's balconies when seen from various angles must be a point of interest for many, and that building is notable for nerdy reasons like that fact it was built with a basement so as to cap—not disturb—contaminated earth below it.

20 Niagara and the District Lofts are two essentially "Toronto" condo projects from early in the boom that are essential for a book on the topic!

It would be neat to have a book at map out how much influence aA had on condo architecture in this boom - it's almost like you can have a before aA and after aA comparison.

Oh almost forgotten about this - the Regent Park Aquatic Centre (MJMA); Claude Watson (TDSB)

AoD

Back