News   May 08, 2024
 196     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 416     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 735     0 

The Berlin Wall Of Downtown St Louis

Re: St. Louis Center

Indeed, a reno would certainly white out nice details like the font, and turn what's sort of unique into a generic mall. there's a difference between making sure the washrooms are alright, and then rejecting stuff because it "looks old".

and come on! there are so many places downtown to eat cheap that there is no excuse to eat in a food court. food courts are awful everywhere.

Re: RENOVATE THE EATON CENTRE!

Just like any other major tourist attraction the Eaton Centre needs major upgrading to it's look. Can you imagine if we did nothing to improve the overall look and feel of the ROM, AGO, Science Centre, CN Tower, Harbourfront Centre, Yonge Street or NPS? We would lose tourist. So yes, I DO care what tourists think and feel in a space. If we are to compete with other international cities, our premier shopping centre needs to keep up with the times. I mean can you imagine if we didn't touch up the Yonge Street facade of the Eaton Centre?

I agree in one sense...but when I think of where exactly it needs to be updated, nothing really comes to mind.

I agree with others here...Eaton Centre has aged remarkably well.

As for not taking visitors to the Eaton Centre food court, of course that isn't the first place I'm going to take them! However,we can't be eating at the city's trendy restaurants all the time, and sometimes they just want a fast food burger and fries. If we are in the Eaton Centre and they want to go to KFC, I'm going to take them to the food court where I know there is one. However, I believe this has got to be the ONLY KFC in all of the GTA that still has full name Kentucky Fried Chicken name on it. It was officially changed to KFC like 10 YEARS AGO! Much of the tables and chairs are falling a part, the lighting is terrible and the public washrooms are just gross. Small details, but adds to your overall experience of the city.

I was there a few weeks ago and that's a little far fetched. The lighting is fine, and the chairs are hardly falling apart. The problem is, the place is so busy they don't have enough people to keep up with the cleaning. It's a victim of it's own success.

A few changes couldn't hurt though...maybe a new look which still adheres to the overall aesthetic of the mall. The washrooms could be better (the option of paper to wipe your hands would be nice, as would completely hands free faucets and soap) but I find any grossness to be soley due to a lack of cleaning. It needs to be maintained more often...it isn't THAT bad though.

The core point remains, even if certain elements aren't super-fresh, the Eaton Centre remains a whole sight healthier than so many urban malls for which it was almost certainly a model and paradigm (including the St. Louis Centre).

Perhaps the closest thing to an 80s "urban ghost mall" Toronto has had might be Queen's Quay Terminal...

I also like the yellow signage and general look and feel of the Eaton Centre and think it has held up well. I have seen other references to it's having a dated feel, but that's to be expected given its age. Unfortunately, we tend to rip things out just as the moment approaches where they can be newly appreciated again.

I forgot that I wrote about the Eaton Centre & it's bathrooms in my eye column just before christmas:

stroll.JPG

STROLL
By Shawn Micallef
A money-removing machine with washrooms
stroll

On a rare family trip downtown in 1982, by the northern exit of the Queen TTC station, I encountered a clown who was handing out flyers. Her makeup was happy but her real face was very sad -- so sad that I started wondering why she had to hand out flyers. I thought about her for years. I think it was my first urban experience that had a hint of unpleasantness attached. That it happened next to the Eaton Centre, which I thought was the most futuristic place on Earth, was an added complication.

Certainly an eight-year-old's vision might be a bit suspect, but the Eaton Centre is an abrupt shift from the wilds of public space to a quasi-public private space. Inside, Toronto's quick urban pace slows to an insufferable suburban waddle. I want to yell "We're still downtown, get moving!" but, at most, I just make loud, equally insufferable sighs. Perhaps that it was modelled after Milan's Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II shopping arcade causes people to move at a slow, European speed. Michael Snow's famous hanging geese -- "Flight Stop" -- are entirely Canadian though, and not just for their fowl content. With Snow v. The Eaton Centre, a lawsuit triggered by the red ribbons the mall tied around their necks one Christmas, a landmark intellectual property decision that upheld an artist's moral rights to his or her work was established.

The original plan for the mall would have destroyed Old City Hall and Church of the Holy Trinity. Sanity prevailed and the centre was scaled back, but it could still boast the 18 screens of the now-closed Cineplex, the largest multiplex in the world at the time. Toronto did lose Terauley, Louisa, Downey and Albert -- streets and lanes that live on in our right to cross through the mall 24 hours a day where Albert Street once existed.

Though one of Toronto's top tourist draws, the brochures don't mention its utility as a fine public bathroom. The fifth floor of the Bay has an old-fashioned men's toilet with floor-length urinals (I expect somebody to start shining my shoes when I'm in there) while the Sears née Eaton's store has modern loos on each floor. However, the building really is, as U of T geography professor Ted Ralph says, "a machine designed to take money out of your wallet."

STROLL APPEARS EVERY SECOND WEEK.

Perhaps the closest thing to an 80s "urban ghost mall" Toronto has had might be Queen's Quay Terminal...

I'd choose the south half of College Park. A terrible place to walk through.

Babel> I was in Commute Home this aft and they had a very nice steel and recovered wood bookshelve.

Whoops, wrong thread - ah well, you'll read this one too i guess.

I'd choose the south half of College Park. A terrible place to walk through.

Thanx for mentioning CP--although it was arguably more suffocatingly ghostly before it was big-box divvy'd up...

The reason the St Louis Centre did not work, is because downtown St Louis as a whole was not in good shape when the mall opened.

It also did not help that the department stores took their flagship locations out of downtown at put them in the St Louis Galleria Mall in the suburbs.

American companies just do not have much faith in downtowns. Add the population flight, etc, and its no wonder most of these malls did not work.

Notice in healthy cities the malls worked, like downtown Chicago, Downtown SF, Downtown Minneapolis, Downtown Indianapolis, etc.

Back