News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

The Berczy Condo - Critique the B9 Unit recently released

streetcar

Member Bio
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the new B9 floor plan (696 sq ft)? The remaining suites (fl 5-7) are priced b/t 380-395K?
It is the bigger of the two that came from the recently split 2+den suite - the layout is not ideal imo, but they sell out on all of the other 1+dens.

What about the future value of The Berczy?

your thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited:
For close to 400K this is a non-buy for me. The hall takes up a lot of square footage. I do like the fact that you have 2 different views, but don't like the smallish living/dining room/kitchen combination. I think this unit is way overpriced.

Not a great floor plan, but at least it's not due to poor design but rather an adaptation to the market... however, I wish they'd just reduce the price on the original floor plan then which, of course, is wishful thinking.

This floor plan reminds me of the Mozo. Fantastic building with either awesome floor plans or ones with lots of wasted space. At least it's a fantastic building in a fantastic location, but it may still not be worth it.

Back to the layout itself, not only is there a long hallway throughout, but the W/D closet is essentially a hallway. Workable if you put some sort of shelving along one wall, I guess, but otherwise it's just wasted space upon wasted space. Would have rather they reworked the den to accommodate the W/D and closet. Looks like a nice balcony though.

I agree with everyone here, the long hallway does take up a lot of valueble space and the living/dining area is rather cramped. The unit feels 100 s.f. less than it actually is.
Having lots of glass on two sides is a real plus, as well as the generous balcony. The bedroom has a token window, which is much better than nothing.
The door to the bedroom should be moved to the corner next to the closet rather than opening into the bed and night stand (not allowing it to open fully).
The Berczy is in a great location, though I personally think it often gets too congested and it's not going to improve with a few new condos and the St.Lawrence Market North development coming on board.

This unit should be priced $25-30k less than it is.

I agree with everyone here, the long hallway does take up a lot of valueble space and the living/dining area is rather cramped. The unit feels 100 s.f. less than it actually is.
Having lots of glass on two sides is a real plus, as well as the generous balcony. The bedroom has a token window, which is much better than nothing.
The door to the bedroom should be moved to the corner next to the closet rather than opening into the bed and night stand (not allowing it to open fully).
The Berczy is in a great location, though I personally think it often gets too congested and it's not going to improve with a few new condos and the St.Lawrence Market North development coming on board.

This unit should be priced $25-30k less than it is.

Wrong unit, Stretcar asked about unit B9, not A9. B9 does not have glass on two sides, only one window. the bedroom does not have window. very poor layout for $380-$395k, more than 100 sq ft wasted space. wrong decision by Concert, they should have kept the 2 bedroom large unit, it had a very nice layout, they just needed to price it well

http://www.theberczy.com/pdf/planB9.pdf

The B9 layout forces you to place your TV in the den, which isn't very wide. The living/dining room layout doesn't really allow for a TV - where the sofa is positioned faces the kitchen sink and/or fancoil unit.

But because the LOCATION is so ideal (and everything else aside from layout is perfect), I'm thinking that to give up a little in terms of layout is justified? If I were to live in it for a few years I think it would be incredibly easy to rent out.

But because the LOCATION is so ideal (and everything else aside from layout is perfect), I'm thinking that to give up a little in terms of layout is justified? If I were to live in it for a few years I think it would be incredibly easy to rent out.

wow ... sorry to be critical but you sound like a desperate gullible sheeple that HAS TO BUY JUST BECAUSE !

14 x 15 living area and that includes the kitchen area.
Do you have any idea how small this is??
Interior bedroom is also tiny.
All the space in this bowling alley is thrown away in the hallway.
This is a 1 bdrm/den trying to imitate a studio unit.
About the only redeeming thing about this dog is the large balcony.
You may be getting into the neighborhood but at a very poor value pricepoint.

About the only person I can think of who would think this unit looked good is that poor fellow who bought that unit with the totally enclosed frosted pivacy glass balcony,..and that was his only lightsource.
I still can't believe that one.
Yes it is an attracyive building in a good location, but what is it about The Berzcy that has made so many people go so stupid with their chequebooks.

It's a terrible floor plan in an exceptional neighbourhood. Kind of like buying the smallest house on the best block. But that's only beneficial if it's priced right.

The $ psf is in line with other Berczy units. But I just see far too many drawbacks to the living space. I would keep other buildings, both old and new, in mind if there isn't a decent floor plan left at the Berczy. I would even consider a significantly smaller unit. There are great 575 sf units with better layouts that are better living spaces than this one. Spend less, get more, and probably rent out for about the same should you move out in the future.

there were a handful sold in the SPIRE in 2010, 2 blocks north, with really well lit, large square main rooms with wrap around windows (mind you no den) for approx 300k

Having set foot in those similar sized units in Spire, I must say they were excellent floor plans and corner units too. No wasted space at all - in fact, great use of space and good sized balconies. Spire is an excellent building.

$300K was probably asking price.

B9 -- this is a tough one to rework, but my preference would be to enlarge the living/eating space by sacrificing the den and reworking the bedroom and position of bathroom and washer/dryer and closet. I would do this by 1. moving the washroom to the bottom; 2. having the closet and washer/dryer along the left of the unit just above the notch; 3. bedroom (no windows) can be opened up completely and easily using large opague sliders, opening to both to the left and toward the top when desired (kind of like what they have, but further south); 4. with the den gone, the extra space would go toward a more usable eating/living space. There might be space for a small desk, or people can work at the dining table if they want. Of course they can no longer market it as a 1br + den, but it would be more livable.

Last edited:

Back