News   Apr 18, 2024
 685     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

The Beach(es)

Give Rob Ford credit where it's due. He took the lead in criticizing the deal at the time, saying it "stinks to high heaven." Foulidis sued him for slander and lost at trial.

Give Rob Ford credit where it's due. He took the lead in criticizing the deal at the time, saying it "stinks to high heaven." Foulidis sued him for slander and lost at trial.

Its deals like this that gave Ford a platform that lead to his victory.

Just looking at the vote numbers, Mammolitti voted in favour. That should have been a sure sign it was a bad deal!

I do find it funny that no one is really complaining about the Tim Hortons though.

I do find it funny that no one is really complaining about the Tim Hortons though.
Should be complaining about that little cafe that I believe is part of this deal at Kew. $4.50 for a small soft ice cream!?! Extra for a waffle cone.

For that kind of money, I'd sooner walk up to the Nutty Chocolatier and other vendors on Queen Street. Or the ice cream van, parked near the swimming pool.

One thing the Beaches seems to have, aside from being so family-oriented, is so many play centres. On rainy days, and during the winter months, I certainly miss having so many places to take my little one.

Play centres in general struggle to compete with summer activities. A few really good ones have come and gone between Leslieville and the Beaches. It's a shame, because they're an important resource, especially during parental leave.

Hi everyone, I'm interested in buying a house a block from the Ashbridge Sewage Plant but I'm worried about the odour. Can someone tell me how often does the smell get noticeable/disturbing? I've read that the City did a big odour treatment program in 2014 - has it helped?

Hi everyone, I'm interested in buying a house a block from the Ashbridge Sewage Plant but I'm worried about the odour. Can someone tell me how often does the smell get noticeable/disturbing? I've read that the City did a big odour treatment program in 2014 - has it helped?

I live a block away. Not bad at all. Maybe 1 or 2 days a year if it’s really humid and there’s not much air movement, but otherwise not really noticeable.

Toronto’s ‘Beach Village’ Sees Revival Amid Streetfront Retail Challenges

September 11, 2019

The Beach Village area in Toronto has undergone a recent transformation as it continues to welcome new retailers and businesses to the neighbourhood with a strategic plan and effort to revitalize it.

Anna Sebert, the Executive Director of the Beach Village BIA (Business Improvement Area), said 12 new ventures have either recently opened or will soon open in the district.

“It’s amazing. This has been pretty unprecedented,” she said. “People are being more positive about the area. And that’s a huge win for us.’

They include: Both Bruno’s (coming soon); East Toronto Vascular Clinic; Marvelous Beauty Lounge; The Vape Pub; Scholar’s Education Centre; Isabella's Boutique restaurant (moved to a bigger location in the Beach); Beaches Brew Co.; Big Bruce Public House; Toronto Popcorn Company; Derma Bar; Blue Cloud Cafe; and The Sweet Oven.

Fight brewing between Beach residents over multi-million-dollar super homes

Neighbourhood is 'environmentally sensitive land,' area councillor says

CBC News · Posted: Nov 14, 2019 7:19 PM ET

On the one hand, rich, entitled folks fight rich, entitled folks, news@11, LOL

On the other hand.......If I had a 5M waterfront home in Toronto and someone wanted to build that monstrosity next to me; I'd flip too.

That would diminish both my quality of life and my property value.

Also, while I wouldn't get overly worked about the ecological impact of replacing a sloped back yard with a level one supported by a retaining wall at this location.................

I would be worked up about a giant new retaining wall fronting the Beach......yuck.

Last edited:
Local live music venue, the Salty Dog Bar & Grill at 1980 Queen St. E will be closing as of March 1st, 2020:

Doors Of The Beach poster featuring closed businesses on Queen Street East sparks strong reactions

March 5, 2020

By AMANDA DA SILVA

Beach resident Stephen Knifton recently created an art poster called Doors Of The Beach as concern rises among local residents about the empty storefronts along Queen Street East.

“I understand businesses come and go, it’s part of the business cycle,” said Knifton. “But here it started to get noticeable. It seemed like more and more and more businesses were closing all the time. You couldn’t walk half a block without passing two or three empty stores or closed restaurants.”

A couple of Sundays ago, Knifton walked along Queen Street East from Woodbine Avenue to the R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant at Nursewood Road, taking pictures of all of the empty storefronts. There were a total of 42 empty storefronts, that he took photos of during that walk.

Doors Of The Beach poster featuring closed businesses on Queen Street East sparks strong reactions

March 5, 2020

By AMANDA DA SILVA

Beach resident Stephen Knifton recently created an art poster called Doors Of The Beach as concern rises among local residents about the empty storefronts along Queen Street East.

“I understand businesses come and go, it’s part of the business cycle,” said Knifton. “But here it started to get noticeable. It seemed like more and more and more businesses were closing all the time. You couldn’t walk half a block without passing two or three empty stores or closed restaurants.”

A couple of Sundays ago, Knifton walked along Queen Street East from Woodbine Avenue to the R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant at Nursewood Road, taking pictures of all of the empty storefronts. There were a total of 42 empty storefronts, that he took photos of during that walk.

I noticed this a few weeks ago when I was walking through the beaches going to Petsmart. I noticed how much of a ghost town it was then and how many stores were in the process of closing.

I remember how for years it was only the Seventh Wave Bistro that was closed (and for good reason) but over the past few years it has become an epidemic not just in the beaches but across Toronto.

I know so many empty storefronts in Toronto now and it is because of high rent. Nobody can afford to run a small business in Toronto when everyone is jacking up the rent because they think they can.

Those ignoring COVID-19 physical distancing advice have Beaches-East York Councillor Bradford concerned

March 25, 2020

Beaches-East York Councillor Brad Bradford says the City of Toronto does not want to take a heavy-handed approach to forcing people to keep their distance while in public spaces outdoors during the COVID-19 crisis, but if people continue to ignore health warnings to do so that might have to happen.

In a statement sent to Beach Metro News late Tuesday (March 24) afternoon, Bradford said he was “concerned” to have seen images last weekend from the East Toronto beaches and along the Boardwalk of many groups of people ignoring the physical (social) distancing warnings to keep two-metres apart at all times.

“Those images are concerning not because people are out, but because they weren’t keeping a safe distance and following the professional medical advice,” he said in the statement.

Back